- Text Size +
Story Notes:
For 20_est_relships on livejournal. Prompt 13: Questions.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Kate wants to know why.
The elevator doors sidled open. A disgruntled snort came from inside the elevator and Gibbs stormed through the bullpen and up the stairs to the director's office. The man didn't make eye contact with anyone and other agents sidestepped out of his warpath. From what she could see, Gibbs continued into Morrows' office without knocking. As usual. Kate paused, then swung around in her chair to face Special Agent DiNozzo's desk.
"I don't get it." She said, folding her arms.

Tony looked up from his paperwork with a confused expression. She continued.
"Gibbs. You. I don't get it. He's a..."

"A bastard?" Tony finished, to which Kate responded with a nod.
He grinned, sitting back in his chair and placing his hands behind his head after a stretch.
"He's not so bad. Not the way you make him out to be."

Kate raised an eyebrow.
"Tony, I've seen hardened criminals cry after thirty minutes in an interrogation room with him. Nobody except you goes near him until he's had his morning coffee, and two of our staff have quit after meeting him."

Tony's hands now moved from onto the desk and he sat forward.
"Exaggeration." He fired back, knowing full well she was right on all accounts.

"Okay, whatever. So what exactly do you like about him?"

Tony didn't have to think. He got up, and paced his desk, looking into space dreamily.
"Everything. I love his eyes. I love the way he gets all jealous and protective if someone hits on me. How he looks in a suit... his scruffy casual gear... in nothing." He grinned devilishly.

"DiNozzo." Gibbs, who had somehow appeared undetected (Again, as usual) was now standing right behind Tony. DiNozzo could feel the older man's breath against the back of his neck and he found himself reminded of the previous night.

"Sorry boss." He answered quickly before returning to his seat.
Gibbs let this one slide, and leaned over DiNozzo to check his computer.
"What have you got for me?"

DiNozzo began typing and talking, before receiving a swift smack to the back of his head for mentioning this particular case being as boring as Gibbs' CD collection. He smiled and continued. Gibbs' hand returned to the desk. At least as far as Agent Todd could see. Kate edged over in her seat and tried to look inconspicuous as she peered to the station across from her.
Gibbs' hand was in fact not in it's original position, but was now on top of Tony's. His thumb brushed lightly over DiNozzo's hand and both men's eyes were transfixed on each other.

Still, Tony continued his report and Gibbs listened, like this was normal. Once he'd finished, Gibbs left for Abby's lab. DiNozzo and Kate were again alone.

"Was he holding your hand?"
"Yes."
"Wow, I guess he can be sweet. You know you technically can't do that in work, right?"
"When has Gibbs ever followed the rules?"
Kate couldn't argue.

***

DiNozzo's computer screen flickered and blacked out. His lamp followed suit and he stood from his chair.
"You're going?" Special Agent Todd looked up from her stack of work.
"Yeah, I've done everything I need to. For today, anyway. Need sleep." He rubbed his eyes and yawned overdramatically, and Kate rolled her eyes.

"Sorry, I've didn't even see the time." She replied, putting her files into a nearby cabinet. She turned back just in time to see Gibbs arrive. He placed his hands in his pockets and stood patiently as DiNozzo packed up his things.

"Any plans for tonight?" Kate whispered, looking towards Gibbs.

Tony looked up. His lover had become distracted with a co-worker and he whispered back in a slightly childish tone.
"Ah, Katie Kate Kate. That is one question you're going to have to figure out for yourself."

Both men headed towards the elevator, and Tony winked at Kate before the doors shut tightly.
Chapter End Notes:
For 20_est_relships on livejournal.
Prompt 13: Questions.