- Text Size +

Monday Afternoon



"Ugh, damn!" Carly exclaimed.



"Computer pissing you off, Carly?" Gibbs mirrored her questions from earlier as he walked into the lab with Ziva on his heels.



Taking a deep breath, the young woman turned to him and replied, "No, the program on the computer is. It keeps bringing up false positive matches on the fingerprint search I'm doing."



"Can't you fix it?" Ziva asked, not grasping the problem.



"Yes, but it might take some time."



"What may take some time?" Abby queried from behind Gibbs.



"Finding out who's hacking our system causing these problems." Carly told her and reached around the Special Agent to take the coffee Abby brought back for her.



Abby looked at Carly like she had grown another head. "What makes you think we've been hacked?"



Carly picked up a stack of papers to emphasize her point, "Only twenty people that come up as a match for the set of prints on the Chevy Caprice and five false matches on DNA." Gibbs looked at her in surprise and she explained further, "The DNA can't match if the blood type doesn't match."



"Get this fixed you two. I need to find out who stole that car and why Private Nash was killed." Gibbs ordered and walked out.



"Ziva David." She said introducing herself to Carly.



"Carly Thomas. Nice to meet you." Carly replied.



"Ziva!" Gibbs yelled from the elevator. "We have work to do."



She nodded at Abby and Carly and ran to catch up with Gibbs.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Gibbs arrived back at the bullpen in time to watch Fornell step off the other elevator. "Jethro, we need to talk."



The two men walked back to the elevator and waited until Jethro hit the switch to stop it.



"Why do have the feeling I'm not going to like what you have to tell me, Tobias?"



"Because you won't. We've gotten word that someone in the government is trying to create a program to siphon unidentifiable amounts of cash from banks to fund covert ops."



Gibbs stared at Fornell weighing what he had been told. "We have the programmer down in autopsy right now. We are working on locating his killer, but that might prove to be difficult."



Fornell looked at him in surprise. "What do you mean?"



"Someone's hacking into Abby's computer and screwing with the results on this case, only this case. Whoever hired Private Nash, doesn't want us to find the connection between the killer and covert ops."



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Abby and Carly were ready to scream. They had only been tracing this hacker for less that half-an-hour, but had been lead on several goose chases already.



Gibbs and Fornell walked into the room to see Carly pound her fist on the desk.



"That won't help." Abby said.



"I realized that when you did it." She replied almost irritated. "Whoever this is, they are good."



"They are paid to be good." Gibbs announced making their presence know.



"They who, Gibbs?" Abby wanted to know without looking up from her monitor.



"The government, Abs. Someone hired Private Nash to create the virus to fund covert ops and then killed him."



"But why kill him when he didn't have the program completed?" Carly wanted to know and noticed the other man staring at her.



"Maybe whoever killed him didn't know it wasn't completed. Maybe Private Nash suffered from a guilty conscious and turned it over as-is knowing it wouldn't do what they wanted it too." Abby offered and Gibbs smiled.



"Good work you two. Now if you could just find out who is hacking the system…." Gibbs hinted.



"Ah ha!" Abby and Carly exclaimed. They both started typing faster than either man had thought possible. "Come here you little…." Carly started.



"…government spy." Abby finished.



"Got him." They said in unison. "Or at least the building and computer where he is." Abby added.



"Where?" Gibbs and Fornell asked.



"The CIA building. The user name is CanonB, give me just a sec and we'll tell you who that is. It is….Paul McCreedy."



The men were out the door calling their teams by the time Abby and Carly turned to each other in satisfaction. "Great work, Abs." Carly said imitating Gibbs.



"Great work, Carly." Abby replied and they high-fived each other.