- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Nigel meets the team and helps out on a case.
Chapter 2

"Wow," said Nigel when they entered Abby's lab, "Very impressive." Abby was about to respond when Kate entered the lab, carrying a tub of evidence.

"Good, you're back. We got a…" she trailed off, finally noticing the tall Brit, "Oh, hi, you must be Nigel."

"The one and only. And you are…" He shook her hand grinning in that smirky way that he had.

"Kate," she told him, smiling.

"Wonderful to finally meet you, I've heard so much for Abby," he said.

"Have you now?" asked Kate curiously, shooting a look at Abby.

"None, but good things," he assured her.

"Right…Abby," said Kate, finally getting back on track, "We got a case, a marine was found stabbed to death in a stolen car, parked in a public lot."

"Ooh, hinky," said Abby.

"Couldn't have put it better meself, luv," agreed Nigel.

"We-" Kate was suddenly interrupted by the arrival of Gibbs to that lab.

"You throwing a party I didn't know about, Abbs?" he asked, staring pointedly at the pale man in his forensic's lab.

"Oh, sorry Gibbs, I forgot to tell you," exclaimed Abby, sweetly, "This is my friend Nigel Townsend. He's in from out of town, works as a criminologist and forensic expert at the ME Office in Boston. Nigel, this is my boss, Gibbs."

"Pleasure to meet you sah," said Nigel, "Abby speaks very highly of you."

"Right," said Gibbs, mildly impressed, "He can stay, but get to work."

"Thanks!" squealed Abby, taking the Caff-Pow! out of his hands and hugging him. Kate and Gibbs left the lab.

"So that is the infamous Gibbs," commented Nigel, looking after the older man.

"Yup," said Abby, rifling through the box of evidence, "He's not so bad. You wanna help me with this?"

"Love to," answered Nigel, rubbing his hands together excitedly, "So where I get the body and the bullet, you get…"

"Not much more than that this time," said Abby, once she had finished unloading the tub, "We've got the knife, our man's personal effects, and an unidentified white powder, found in the car. If you wanna see the body, you'll have to visit the Duckman."

"Who?!?"

"Ducky, our ME, one floor down, the door that says "Autopsy". Go see him, I'll start these tests," she told him.

"If you insist luv," he said grinning. She rolled her eyes and fluttered her fingers at him to go.




"Hello?" asked Nigel as he stepped through the doors into Autopsy.

"Can I help you?" asked Ducky, not looking up from the body on the table.
"Dr. Nigel Townsend, a friend of Abby's," he introduced himself, "I'm looking for a, uh, ‘Ducky'."

"You've found him," said Ducky smiling, "I hope you don't mind, but I'm…" he trailed off, gesturing to the open body with messy hands.

"Completely understand, I work at the ME Office in Boston," said Nigel.

"Do you?" asked Ducky, looking up at him with interest.

"Yeah, I'm the forensics expert and criminologist," said Nigel, beginning to enjoy the respect he was getting, being as, uh, different as he tended to be. Although, he reminded himself, these were the people who had hired Abby.

"And how is our fine Dr. Macy?" asked Ducky good naturedly.

"You know Garret?!?" asked Nigel incredulously.

"I know a lot of people…" said Ducky winking.

"Right," said Nigel smiling, "So how much do we know so far?"

"Well, seeing as you're helping Abby," began the elderly ME, "We know he was stabbed three times, but none of them were fatal-"

"He bled to death," finished Nigel.

"It would appear so, but not in that car-" explained Ducky.

"So the body was dropped there," said Nigel.

"Exactly, there was also an abundance of the mysterious white powder in his lungs; we're still waiting for a tox scan though," added Ducky.

"A druggy?" asked Nigel.

"It's definitely possible, we'll know more aft-" but Nigel's cell had begun to ring.

"Sorry," he said, gesturing towards the door as he pulled out his phone.

"Go ahead," said Ducky, turning back to the body. Just before the automatic doors swooshed shut behind him, Nigel heard Ducky mutter to the body, "Seems like a nice young fellow." He smiled.

"Nigel," he said, answering the ringing cell.

"Hey Nige," said a female voice.

"Jordan! What's up?" he asked cheerfully.

"Oh, nothing, just calling to see how vacation's going," she said.

"Everything's fantastic, met a bunch of nice people…" he trailed off.

"Who is she?" asked Jordan exasperatedly.

"Who?" he asked.

"The girl, you've obviously met someone," she pointed out.

"Have not," he denied.

"I bet it's that girl you're staying with, A-, A-, Ashley?"

"Abby," corrected Nigel, a little too quickly.

"So it is a girl!" she accused.

"How's everyone there doing?" he asked, changing the subject quickly.

"What's she like?" asked Jordan, changing it right back.

"Fun," he said, "eccentric, brilliant, spontaneous, Goth, but we're just friends."

"Right," she said, "well I have to go. Don't do anything I wouldn't do."

"Would I ever? Oh, and tell Dr. Macy I met an old pal of his," he said.

"Okay," she assured him.

"Bye," he smiled as he hung up. How did she always know?
Chapter End Notes:
I hope you like this. If you're reading and haven't seen Crossing Jordan, Nigel has an adorable British accent, and the call he gets is from a friend at the ME office. He'll get quite a few of theres.