- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The case is officially solved, and Nigel tells Abby how he feels...
Chapter 5

When Abby got back to her lab, Nigel was spinning in a chair looking pensive.

"Whatcha thinking ‘bout Nige?" she asked, pulling up a chair next to him.

"Oh, nothing, luv," he said, putting aside his thoughts and smiling, "How's the case?"

"Great, all thanks to you," she said, "Duck was able to tell from the knife angles that he stabbed himself, and from the tox scan we could tell he did over-dose. So you were right!"

"That's wonderful luv," said Nigel.

"Yeah, the whole team's going out for dinner to celebrate, you'll come, right?" she asked, hopefully.

"I wouldn't want to but in-" protested Nigel.

"But you practically solved the case for us!" exclaimed Abby, "You have to come!"

"I…well, okay, but just for you luv," he agreed finally.


In the end they went to a local pub. Nigel felt rather awkward, like a fifth wheel amongst the group of tight friends. He sat back and watched them talk together, drinking and laughing. It reminded him so much of his own co-workers, of how many long nights they had spent at Max's after long cases and stressful days.

"Nige?" her voice took a moment to break through his musings, "Nigel, still with us?"

"What? Sorry luv got distracted. What were you saying?" he asked.

"We were about to leave, you coming?"

"Oh, yeah, sorry," he said getting up and throwing a few bills on the table. He grabbed his jacket and they walked arm in arm out of the pub.

"The night's still young," commented Abby, "You wanna do something?"

"How about a movie at your place," suggested Nigel.

"Okay," she nodded. Nigel hadn't had anything to drink, so they both climbed onto his bike, and rode to her apartment in the chilly night air.


Half an hour later they were on her couch, eating popcorn and, after arguing about which one, watching a movie. It was a mutual favorite, a horror film. They were sitting close together, sharing a blanket.

"I love you, Nigel," she whispered softly in his ear.

"I love you too, luv," he answered smiling. He pulled one of her pigtails playfully, and she threw popcorn at him. They settled back down, just in time for the climax of the movie. Abby jumped and let out a half-scream, despite the fact that she had seen the film numerous times. Nigel laughed at her and hugged her close.

"‘S okay luv," he said almost exasperatedly.

"I know, she answered softly, "you're here." Nigel didn't know what to say. They both remained silent until the movie was over. As the end credits began to roll, Abby turned the TV off. She settled back down against him, enjoying the warmth of his body against her own. He put his arm around her, and she rested her head on his chest. They sat like that, not speaking a single word, for what felt like an eternity. Finally, after several minutes, she sat up and kissed him.

Such a passionate kiss had never been made. He cupped her face in his hands and kissed back. She put all other thoughts aside and poured all of her love, all of the happiness he had given her, into that kiss. By the time they had pulled away for breath she was laying on top of him. She dove back down for another long and furious kiss, and found her hands fumbling at the buttons of his shirt. Unexpectedly he pulled away.

"No," he said, gently pushing her off of him and sitting up, "No, I can't do this, luv." She sat up too, looking concerned.

"What is it Nige, what's wrong?" she asked, looking up into his eyes, where she saw a mixture of confusion, sadness, and love. He met her gaze full on.

"I love you Abby," he began, "you're wonderful, brilliant, witty-" she tried to interrupt, "Let me finish," he said, "You have a great life, a great job, and great friends who care very much about you, luv, and I could never take that away. Being here, with you, and away from the morgue, has made me realize how much they care for me and how much I care for them in return," he was on a role, no stopping now, he thought, "In this day, this one day, three of my friends, of my ‘family', have called to see how I'm doing, if I'm happy, and truth be told, I am happy, with you, but it can't last. If we ever wanted something serious, something…long-lasting, I would have to choose, between you, or my family at the morgue, and if I didn't choose, you would, and I could never let you leave the people who love you. You mean the world to them, and to me, and I'm not letting you lose what you have here. This probably sounds clichéd, but I can't be with you, because of how much I love you," he finished awkwardly, not knowing how to proceed. Abby said nothing, stunned by this speech.

"Maybe I should just go," he said, his heart broken by her non-reply. He stood to leave, but she grabbed his hand.

"No," she said, "I understand," she pulled him back down onto the couch, "It's cool really, I'm touched, but…we can still be friends, right?" Her voice was hopeful, yet somehow vulnerable.

"Of course luv," he assured her, "I will always be here for you, always be your friend." The tension in the air seemed to dissipate once he had spoken those words. Abby smiled and Nigel felt a grin flash across his own face, too.

"Good…but why didn't you just tell me sooner?" she asked.

"I didn't wanna break your heart," he said, looking over at her, "and your boss said he'd kill me if I did." Abby began to laugh, and Nigel joined in. Things were going to be just fine…