- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony has a secret the team doesn't know about.

Kira McKensie was ducked down behind a Jeep Cherokee, holding her Sig Sauer ready. Glad she was wearing her vest under her shirt, she kept down until the shots stopped. Popping up quickly, she squeezed off three rounds and dropped back down. Damn it. She knew this day was going to go bad when she woke up this morning. Two more shots were fired in her direction and she heard running. Moving quickly, she ran to the next car to get a better visual. As she reached the front passenger door, she was struck in the chest. Out of breath, Kira looked down, seeing the hole in her shirt and the bullet lodged in her vest. She was just about to take aim at her target when she was shot again. Feeling dizzy, she looked down again and saw the blood. She had been hit. Shot through her vest.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Tony was working late, finishing up paperwork. Or so it appeared. McGee and Ziva were staring at him, and he could tell they were wondering why he was still here at 1900. He read through the packet of papers again. Knowing this day would come didn't make it easier for him to accept. He couldn't believe it had been six years already. His phone rang as he picked up his pen.



"DiNozzo."



"Anthony DiNozzo?" The voice on the other end of the line asked.



"Yes, this is he. Who is this?"



"Mr. DiNozzo, I'm sorry to be calling like this, but your wife has been shot in the line of duty sir. She's been taken to Maryland General. They have her in surgery right now."



"I'm on my way." Tony said and ended the call.



He rushed out not bothering to put away the divorce papers on his desk.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



Cutting the 46 minute drive down to thirty, Tony was surprised that there weren't any cops following him. Pulling into the hospital parking lot, he quickly shut off the engine and ran inside. He was about to ask for Kira at the desk when he spotted Detective Ramirez down the hall.



"Mark!" Tony called out.



"DiNozzo? What are you doing here?"



"Kira. Where is she and what happened?"



"You know Kira?" Mark asked then shook his head. "I probably don't want to know. She was involved in a drug bust. There was a shoot out and she got hit in the chest. She's still in surgery, but the doctors are optimistic that she'll recover 100%."



"Where is she?" Tony asked again.



"Come on. Captain's upstairs, I'll take you to him."



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



In surgical waiting, Tony shook Captain Marsden's hand and asked, "How was she hit in the chest? Wasn't she wearing a vest?"



"She was." The Captain confirmed.



"Then how the hell did she get hit?" Tony demanded.



"Long range shot, DiNozzo, with a .30-06. It went right through. Only thing that saved her was she moved preparing to shoot again."



One of the doctors walked out and asked, "Family of Kira McKensie?"



Tony stepped forward and said, "I'm her husband. Please, how is she?"