- Text Size +

Closing his eyes to hide how pleased that made him, Tony asked her, "Why not?"



When she said nothing, he opened his eyes and looked at her. She had stepped away from him and was looking down. "Kira, I'm not judging you. I would just like to know why."



She bit her lip and looked over at him. "It's complicated, Tony."



"So start at the beginning." He said patiently.



"I was 17 when we got married. I finished high school and pushed through college as fast as I could. Then I joined the police department. I had a goal and I focused on it. Telling everyone I went to school with that I was married made sure that they left me alone so I could stay focused. Once I joined the department, I just brushed it off whenever anyone asked me out."



Hearing her explanation, Tony was struck by the fact that while his life had gone on parts of Kira's hadn't. "You haven't dated anyone either?"



Shaking her head she turned away from him. Tony walked in front of her and stared into eyes that were filled with embarrassment from the confessions she had made. Touching her cheek gently, he ran his finger down the side of her face and smiled when she moved her head to stay in contact with him.



"So we'll take it slow." He told her and watched her eyes widen. "Would you like to have dinner with me tonight?"



She stared at him as a slow smile spread across her face. "I would like that."



Relieved beyond words, Tony smiled back. "I'll let you get ready then."



He walked out the bedroom and closed the door behind him, feeling happier than he had in a long time.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Kira looked around the bedroom and then down at the jeans and t-shirt she was wearing. She hadn't had a reason to pack anything much more than this type of clothes but she did have a nice shirt that would dress up her jeans and her black boots would be a nice touch. Quickly, she found the shirt and was glad that it wasn't wrinkled from being packed away. She slipped out of her t-shirt and quickly changed into the green shirt and boots. Checking her reflection in the mirror, she saw that she was flushed from excitement and didn't need any added color to her face. With a quick swipe of lip-gloss, she brushed her hair back away from her face and walked out into the living room. Tony was hanging up the phone and turned around when he heard the door shut. Whatever he had been about to say seemed to die on his lips as he stared at her.



Shrugging her shoulders, uncomfortable under his look, she explained, "This is the dressiest I have."



When he smiled, she relaxed. "It's perfect." He told her.



He took her hand and led her out the door to their very first date.