- Text Size +

"Baltimore PD, Officer McKensie speaking." Kira said as she answered her phone, still typing her report.



"Kira!"



Smiling as she sent her report to the Captain, Kira replied, "Hi Abby! How are you?"



"I'm good! Listen, we're all getting together tomorrow night for Ducky's birthday. Tony was going to call you about it but they have a new case and he's still running errands for the director. So, I thought I'd call and see if you'd be able to make it."



Laughing at how fast Abby talked, she said, "Sure. I'm free tomorrow night and I'd love to help celebrate Ducky's birthday. What time?"



"Well, with work and the case, I think maybe 2100. That should give us time to have things wrapped up."



"I'll be there Abby."



"Oh, is there anything you want me to tell Tony?"



Laughing again, she replied, "Tell him I'll see him tomorrow."



"Will do. See you tomorrow Kira!" Abby said and they ended the call.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



The next evening, Gibbs called Ducky up to the bullpen on the pretense of asking him questions on the case. When the elevator doors opened, everyone yelled "SURPRISE!"



Ducky blinked and smiled. "My goodness! All this for me?"



Abby bounced over to him. "Yep." She hugged him tight and told him, "Happy Birthday, Ducky!"



Gibbs put his hand on his shoulder and said with a smile, "Happy Birthday, Duck."



After everyone had hugged him, the Director brought the cake out and they all sang "Happy Birthday". Ducky couldn't seem to stop smiling. He blew out the candles on his cake and as Ziva cut slices for everyone, Tony stepped forward and handed him a gift.



Ducky looked down at it and back up at the young agent. Tony told him, "It's from all of us, Ducky."



Abby could barely stand still and Kira was watching it all with a smile. Ducky opened the package to find a leather journal inside. Along side the journal was a digital voice recorder. Smiling, Ducky said, "Should I even ask what all this is for?"



McGee turned red and told him, "You have very interesting stories Ducky. We don't always have the time to hear them when we're working…"



"But we thought you might like to write them down." Abby finished.



Ziva took the gift from him while handing him a piece of cake and glaring at Tim. "Who knows, Ducky? You might even decide to have them published one day."



McGee looked away from Ziva's hard stare and quickly handed out the drinks. Kira had watched this all with amusement, enjoying the camaraderie they all shared, even while giving McGee a hard time about his book. She walked over to Ducky and handed him a package. He looked from it to her and back again.



"I know I haven't known you that long Ducky, but you are a very wonderful man. I hope you like it."



Setting his cake aside, he opened the present to find another leather book. This one filled up with stories, myths and legends from Europe and Asia. Ducky looked up at Kira and noticed the twinkle in her eye. Hugging him to her, she whispered, "If you ever run out of your own stories, these might come in handy."



Ducky laughed and hugged the young woman close. Smiling as he released her, he told her, "You are a jewel, Kira McKensie, a true jewel."



Smiling and joking, they all ate their cake and had a wonderful time. And just once, Ducky was able to tell a whole story without anyone running out on him.