- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The team learns Tony's secret

Ziva and Tim were puzzled over Tony's quick exit and wondering what made him rush out like that. Walking over to his desk, Ziva looked at McGee.



"Whatever's on his desk is fair turkey right?"



"Ah, that's fair game, Ziva." McGee corrected, sitting back in his chair. "It's what he does to us."



Ziva shuffled through the work reports and came to the paperwork clipped to an envelope. "Divorce papers?" She said in shock.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



Rushing into Abby's Lab, Ziva and McGee stood anxiously waiting for her to ask them what was going on. Finally she turned to them.



"Ok, spill." Abby said.



"Tony's married!" They said together.



"No he's not. Tony's not the type…" Abby read the papers thrust in front of her.



Without a word, she turned to the computer and typed Kira McKensie in the search engine she pulled up.



"Hmmmmm." She said as she skimmed the info.



"What?" Ziva asked.



"She's young and she works for Baltimore PD. Oh no." Abby said.



"What?" McGee shouted.



"She was shot today. She's listed as wounded in action on the PD duty roster."



Looking at each other, the three ran out the lab to find Tony.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



"She lost a fair amount of blood, Mr. DiNozzo. We gave her a transfusion and repaired the damage to her lung. We've recovered the bullet and turned it over to the police. Your wife is in recovery at the moment, but as soon as we have her in a room, you can go in." Dr. Brooks explained.



"Thank you, Doctor." Tony said and visibly relaxed.



He looked blindly around the room and sat down. Ramirez moved to question his claim but the Captain caught his arm. Shaking his head, they walked a ways down the hall, leaving Tony alone.



Within the hour the motley three arrived at Maryland General. The receptionist stared at Abby while Ziva asked for Kira's room number. They were told she was still in recovery only after they showed their badges. Making their way to surgical waiting, they stopped in the middle of the hall when they saw Tony sitting with his head in his hands. Abby broke the ice, running up to him and wrapping him in a bear hug.



He looked up surprised that they found him. "How did you know?"



"We snooped. How long have you been married Tony?" Abby asked.



Standing up from the plastic chair Tony answered, "Six years."



"Six years!" Abby exclaimed. "But that would make Kira 17 when you got married! I knew you liked them young but I had no idea."



Tony leveled his best Gibbs stare at Abby and her smile slipped. "It wasn't like that Abs. She was in trouble and needed help."



"And you were just the man to help, I take it?" McGee asked and got the same look turned on him. "So how is she?" He asked to change the subject.



Tony looked at his three closest friends, realizing just how close they all really were, and answered, "The doctors expect her to make a full recovery, but she was hit in the chest. They had to repair her lung and she's going to be sedated and on a respirator for at least a day or two to let her body rest. I won't know anything for sure until she wakes up."



"She wasn't wearing a vest?" Ziva asked.



"She was wearing a vest. She was shot by a .30-06 and it went clean through. Her Captain said if she hadn't moved she would have been dead." Tony got quiet as he finished and he sat back down.



Abby nodded and walked a few paces away. "I'm going to the department and see if they mind sharing their evidence. I'll find out what's going on here, Tony."



Ziva looked at the two men and Abby and decided to help out as well. "I'll see if they need any help. We don't have a case to work right now and I'll clear it with Gibbs so that we can help out."



Tony nodded his thanks and then realized he had never told his boss about having a wife, either.