- Text Size +

After removing the tube and taking Kira off the respirator, the doctor monitored her breathing and her vitals. Satisfied that she was strong enough to be without support, he left her with Tony. Tony was watching her breathing when Gibbs and Ziva walked in. They spoke quietly about what they had found. Ziva gave the man's description to him and Tony's expression grew dark.



"You recognize him?" Gibbs asked.



"It sounds just like her uncle, but why would he try to take her out? He can't profit from it."



"People do strange things everyday for no apparent reason. You should know that by now." Ziva said.



"Find him." Tony demanded.



"We've got McGee running the description." Gibbs told him. "With a possible ID, it will go quicker."



Nodding, Tony turned back to the bed. Ziva patted his shoulder in an awkward attempt to give comfort. He glanced up at her and in that moment, she got a look at the Tony he had been before Kira was shot.



"Thank you all for what you're doing. I'd be out there…"



"You're needed right here." Gibbs told him. "We can take care of what's happening out there as long as you take care of what's in here."



"Thanks, Boss." Tony said and looked back down at Kira.



Gibbs motioned for Ziva to precede him out of the room. He stood watching Tony watch Kira for a moment then he walked out as well.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



"Did you hear that, little one? Gibbs is on the case. And if there's one thing I know more about than I do movie trivia, it's that Gibbs will find who shot you and why. He's like a dog with a bone that man. He just doesn't give up." Tony was telling Kira.



"Sounds like someone else I know."



Tony's head jerked up so quickly and he still almost missed Kira's eyes open and close.



"Kira?" He asked.



"Mmmmhmmmm" Was her reply. "I thought I'd heard your voice Tony."



"I've been right here the entire time. I have to get a doctor." Tony told her and went to rush out the room.



"Push the button." Kira said, still mostly out of it.



"The button?" Tony asked and then remembered the call button on the bed. "Right, the button." Reaching over her, he pressed the button and waited for the nurse to respond.



"Yes sir?" The nurse asked.



"Kira McKensie is awake."



"I'll send the doctor right in."



While he waited, he took Kira's hand in his once more. "You gave me quite a scare, little one."



Trying to smile through the meds and the pain, Kira said, "You worry too much, Tony."



Laughing, he told her, "I have teammates who would disagree with you."



"They don't know you like I do." Kira told him and for the first time since being shot looked him right in the eyes.



As the doctor walked in, Tony told her, "You may be right."