- Text Size +

A week and a half later, the staff at Maryland General was ready to beg Kira's doctor that she be released. Between their patient and her husband, they were bombarded with trivia, bad jokes and pleas for Kira's release. The doctor gave specific instructions on Kira's care and signed the papers.



By the time she was dressed and loaded into Tony's car, Kira was tired again. She dozed for a while and was just waking up when Tony pulled into the parking lot of his apartment building.



"What are we doing here?" She wanted to know.



"You heard the doc. You need someone to look after you."



"Yes, but I can be looked after at my place."



"True, but I can't protect you there if you kick me out. Now, no arguing with me; when you're stronger and we've caught the shooter, I will take you home without protest."



Gritting her teeth, she thought for a moment and then nodded. "Ok. But I'm holding you to your word."



"Deal," he said and helped her out the car and up to his apartment.



They reached his floor and Tony swore under his breath. A woman was sitting in front of his door wearing nurse's scrubs.



"You arranged for a nurse already?" Kira asked.



"Not exactly." Tony replied, clearly uncomfortable.



Understanding dawned. "Oh." Kira said and pulled her arm from Tony's. "Go on. I'll wait here."



Tony looked from one woman to the other and moved down the hall.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



"Jeanne," he started.



"Don't!" she interrupted. "I haven't heard from you in two weeks. I've been so worried that something had happened to you and I would never know. I've been by here every day hoping for some sign that you're ok only to find you bringing someone else home." Jeanne was angry and indignant.



"It's not what you think."



"Kira!" Tony turned to see that she had walked down the hall on her own.



Waving him off, she faced the other woman. "I'm a cop. I was shot two weeks ago and Tony's been helping me out. He's a good friend."



Jeanne's medical training kicked in. "You were shot? Where? Should you be out already?"



"According to the doctor I was fit to be released."



Jeanne was looking from Kira to Tony and then she said, "She needs to get inside."



Startled out of his shock, Tony pulled out his keys and let them in.