- Text Size +

Jeanne was standing at the couch looking down at Kira. Kira asked, "How long have you known Tony?"



Forcing a smile, Jeanne set the bowl of soup down and answered, "Just a few months. I was so worried about him these last two weeks. He hasn't really told anyone we were dating and so I didn't know if anyone would tell me anything if I called his work."



Watching Jeanne move around the room, Kira responded, "I can see how awful that must have been for you. The least he could have done was call."



"That's true. But he was looking out for a friend. I can't fault him for that now can I?"



Kira looked down but kept Jeanne in her peripheral vision. "I guess not."



Kira's gut was sending out a very insistent message and she knew she had to listen to it. Just as she was about to stand, the front door flew open. Tony, Gibbs, Ziva and McGee came in, guns drawn and directed straight at Jeanne. Amazingly enough, Jeanne looked genuinely shocked.



"Tony! What on earth are you doing?"



Moving quickly, Tony separated Jeanne from Kira. "Why didn't you tell me you were married Jeanne?" He asked her without putting his weapon down.



Narrowing her eyes, Jeanne all but spat at him, "Probably for the same reason you didn't tell me you were married!"



Shaking his head, Tony contradicted her. "I didn't tell you because Kira and I are getting a divorce." When her eyes widened, Tony smirked. "That's right, Ms. Bennoit, all your work would have been for naught. I wasn't asking for anything in the divorce and in the event of Kira's death all her money goes to various charitable institutions."



Truly angered now, Jeanne moved closer to him. "That money should have been Troy's! He was the perfect son! He was the favored one!"



Kira stood and looked passed Tony at the woman that, under different circumstances, she would be calling Aunt. "Those might have been true in the past, Ms. Bennoit, but not at the time of my grandfather's death. I remember it. I remember my grandfather telling everyone who would listen that Troy needed to grow up before he inherited anything. Not wanting to set a time period for it, he left the when and where of the distribution to my father. If Troy had been a little more patient, the money would have been his."



Jeanne lunged at Kira but Tony blocked her way. "You smug little bitch. You liked seeing him without a penny to his name, didn't you?"



Her rage had blinded her to the fact that Tony had her cuffed. "No, Jeanne, you're wrong. I never wanted anyone to suffer. Troy just never had the patience or the ability to wait and stand in line for something. Even as a child I knew that. Apparently it's gotten worse over the years."



DC cops came in at that moment and detained Jeanne for questioning in the shooting of Officer McKensie. The soup was sent to Abby's lab for testing and once the results came back, Kira was glad she had done nothing more than smell the soup. Small traces of a poison were found. It was a type of poison that would mimic a natural death without strenuous testing. So the cops arrested Jeanne for attempted murder.



No matter how many times or people asked, Jeanne wouldn't give up her husband's location. Tony walked into the bedroom to find Kira putting her clothes back in her bag.



"Where do you think you're going?" He wanted to know.



"Look, Tony, you don't need me here as a constant reminder of what happened. I'm going to go home and work on getting back to 100%."



"But what about the shooter? We still don't have him."



"Tony, I don't want to make you uncomfortable." Kira told him, trying once again to ease out of his life.



"You don't make me uncomfortable. The only way you'd make me uncomfortable is to make me sleep in the hall in front of your apartment back in Baltimore." He grinned and walked over as he told her this. Tony reached out and lifted her chin. "I promised to look after you and your need for protection isn't over yet."