- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A letter might carry answers.
December 10th


Gibbs powered up the laptop McGee had put up for him. The younger man had been right, this system works faster and better than the old one. Gibbs had spent the whole night reviewing the file NAM 5302 and now he was nearly done. He opened the last input.

NAM 5302. December 16. 2003

It was nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing unexpected. He shifted in his chair and took the letter he had gotten from Nick's room when he was at Tony's apartment. This could be his ticket back into Tony's bed but the way he got it made it even more difficult. He had had a good plan, sneaking into Tony's apartment, getting the letter, and get the hell out of there. Easy, simple...but if it was that simple Gerald would have made it. Or Abby. When Tony had showed up he had to react and to tell him that he came for him wasn't exactly a lie.

He opened the letter but didn't read. It was difficult, this time. He remembered sneaking into Kelly's room to read her letter to Santa Clause but this was different. He knew that this wouldn't be a wish list.


Dear Santa,

I hope you remember me, Nicole. We've even met some years ago, but probably you've met a lot of children and I'm nothing special that you had to remember. You see, everybody kept telling me that you don't exist and therefore I stopped talking to you and writing to you but now I have noone to turn to.

As you surely know my Mum has killed herself a few days ago. Pain pills because she couldn't bare the pain anymore.

Dad is responsible for that pain. I know he didn't want to hurt her when he took me to him and at first I really liked it at his place. You know, he has a real apartment, nothing like our trailer. But I know that it was why Mum killed herself. If I had been there I would have looked after her. That's what I did all my life. But now I wasn't there. And that was why she killed herself.

I'm not completely sure what I should wish for my christmas. I don't want toys or something. Actually all I want is my Mum back but I know that isn't possible. So maybe you could make it that my Dad and me, that we're get along. That we can talk. That I find the words to tell him what I think. And most important, that he listens and doesn't desperately tries to help me. I'm not a child who needs help, but I know that he needs my help with something. I can see it in his eyes.

I don't know if you can make something out of this and even if not thanks for listening, or reading.

In love, Nick.




Gibbs swallowed hard. This definitely was an unusual letter. He had to think hard to know what to make out of it. She wanted to help Tony more than she wanted to be helped. This was a really unusual twelve-year-old and he certainly had to make that clear to Tony.
Chapter End Notes:
Short chapter. Sorry 'bout it...will get longer soon.