- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Personal problems shall not affect work...should they?
December 9th


When Tony woke up the sun was shining bright through the window absolutely not matching his mood. He didn't knew when he had moved to the bed and he didn't care. His eyes were swollen and he could think of a thousand things he'd prefer to do than to go into work.

He turned around and found Nick asleep next to him. He stroke her hair out of her face and she opened her eyes.

„What do you do here?"

She just looked sadly at him. Tony figured she had had a nightmare and he had to smile when he realised that that meant she felt safe with him. She raised her head to look past him at the clock.

„Don't wanna go in."

Tony said and noticed he sounded like a child and Nick looked at him exactly like a mother.

„Okay, okay, I'll just grap a shower."

And get his scent off me, he added inwardly. Then he realized that he was used to it that she didn't talk and that freaked him out again. Swallowing hard he stood up and went into the shower.







Tony expected the blast when he went into the office. He had made it to his desk and nothing had come yet although Gibbs was sitting at his desk.

„You're late."

He stated calmly. Calm is not good, for everybody who doesn't know. If Gibbs is screaming, yelling, barking and grumbling everything is fine. If he is calm then you have to worry. And Tony knew that.

„I overslept. Won't happen again."

Gibbs only nodded and that didn't calm Tony down. Sitting quietly he felt Ziva and McGee looking at him but he didn't care. Nothing was normal in the last week and they had to notice at some point.

It stayed silent for more than half a hour but then Gibbs stood up.

„DiNozzo."

Strange how much a name can say. Although, of course, it wasn't really the name but the tone of voice Gibbs used. Tony knew he had screwed up, he wasn't sure what, but he was positive he had. But something was unusual. Instead of ripping him a new one in the middle of the bullpen Gibbs lead Tony into the elevator. And Tony wasn't sure what was worse.

„What is this?"

Gibbs asked holding up a paper once the elevator had stopped.

„My report."

Tony answered coldly. He wasn't in the mood for games.

„That's a report? Didn't notice."

He threw it at Tony and the younger man sighed.

„Do it again, and this time spent attention."

He turned to the button.

„Sure, it's about the report."

Tony mumbled and Gibbs spun around again.

„What did you say?"

„You're just pissed because I rejected you last night! I expected you to be more professional about it."

„Professional? I am professional! That report could have been written by a first grade but not by a Special Agent of my team! Not by my second-in-command!"

„I have personal problems! I was distracted! You know that!"

Tony yelled back. By now they were both fuming with anger.

„Then take time off! Personal problems cannot affect work! Now it's only a report! Maybe it's when you're covering one of our backs next time! I have personal problems aswell but I don't let them affect my work!"

„That's different!"

„Because it's your daughter? True! That's different. But if you are not capable of focusing on work you should stay at home! Are you requesting time off?"

For a moment they just stared at eachother.

„No...and I'm sorry. It won't happen again."

„Damn right."
Chapter End Notes:
Short chapter. Soon it's getting to the good part. Thanks for reading and the feedback.