- Text Size +

Abby was the first to protest before Carly even started to spell out her plan. Stepping up to look her friend in the face, she said, "No way. They wouldn't let me be bait and we're not letting you be bait."



Carly pulled Abby closer and hugged her dearest friend. She let her go to look in her eyes and say, "Nothing's going to happen. Besides, I'm not going to be alone."



Abby stared at her in concern as she laid out her plan.



"Look, the one thing that drove Cole crazier than me breaking up with him was me seeing other men. Every time I was out with someone, he'd show up mad as hell. If we want to catch him, we have to piss him off so he'll mess up."



Ziva looks around the room. "So who's going to pose as your boyfriend?"



Michelle looked up at the question and tightened her hold on Jimmy. Carly noticed and shook her head at Michelle. Carly looked at the remaining men in the room: Ducky, Gibbs, Tony and Tim. She was about to suggest Tim when Abby spoke up again.



"Tony should do it."



Carly and Tony both stared at her like she had grown an extra head. Gibbs eyes narrowed at the suggestion and Abby just looked innocent.



"Why not McGee?" Ziva asked.



Abby answered for her, "Well it's not that Carly wouldn't date someone like McGee, but in order for Cole to think his place is threatened it has to be Tony. Cole was…"



"A ladies man who had them lined up for blocks until we met. So it would need to be someone he could see as a true rival in all departments." Carly finished, finally understanding.



Tim just looked a little baffled by the explanation. Carly walked over and put her arm around him. "Don't worry Tim, we can go out for real after Cole is caught."

He laughed and turned a light shade of red.



"I need to get my things from the lab. Abby, walk with?" Carly suggested and pulled her out the room by the arm.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



When the two got into the elevator, Carly hit the stop button.



"Taking a page out of Gibbs' book I see." Abby said cheerfully.



"What are you thinking offering Tony up like that? Woman, if I had a man like him I wouldn't give him to one of my best friends."



"It will be fine." Abby assured her and then a thought occurred to her. "You're going to have to kiss him aren't you?"



"If I am going to make this work I will have to." Carly told her, exasperated. "That's why I didn't want to use Tony or Jimmy, I know they are taken."



Abby hit the button to start the elevator. "No one else knows about Tony being taken. That's why you have to use him. Gibbs didn't mind when I dated McGee because he knew it wasn't something that would last. With Tony, it's different. We're different together. I mean, we're the same people, but together we're…"



"Don't hurt yourself here, Abs, I know what you're talking about. I just wish you hadn't said anything. I was going to suggest Gibbs do it."



Abby's eyes widened, "I didn't think of that." She grabbed Carly's arm, "Come on, let's go suggest it."



"No, if we change our minds now, everyone will be suspicious."



Carly gathered her things and they returned to the bullpen. She was prepared to take Tony's arm and drag him out the door for their first potential show, when Gibbs stood from his desk. He took his gun from his drawer and shrugged into his jacket.



"Let's go Carly."



Nonplussed, Carly looked from Tony to Gibbs. "But Tony…"



"Tony isn't." Gibbs stated, and then added, "It's me or your plan is called off."



With a wide-eyed look and a satisfied mind, Carly walked over making a show of being reluctant. She looked back at Tony and said, "I'd have preferred DiNozzo."