- Text Size +
Story Notes:
You can really put whoever you want in the story, I just had Gibbs in mind when I wrote it. This one isn't one of my best, but I'll let you decide for yourseslves. Please feel free to comment with any positive or negative feedback. DISCLAIMER: If I owned Mark Harmon do you think I spend my time writing stories?
"Pacing"
He watches her as she paces. Up and Down, up and down. He wouldn't be surprised if she wore a hole right through the kitchen floor from all the pacing. He wants to say something, anything to make her stop. But, he doesn't. He just continues to watch her every move. He senses that if he were to disturb her now in any way she would walk right out that door and never come back. Then again, she may very well do that anyway, whether he says anything or not.
"I'm sorry," he whispers.
She stops in her tracks and turns to stare at him. "You're sorry?" she asks, sarcasm dripping from every word. He's not sure if she wants an answer, so he remains silent.
"If you knew you were going to be so sorry, why did you do it in the first place?" Her voice is angry, but he sees her eyes begin to fill with tears and that hurts him more than anything else. More than her anger, more than her silence. More than the way she had slapped him when she had first found out. He knows she doesn't want him to see her cry and he feels her frustration at not being able to control her emotions.
"Answer me," she says.
He looks at the floor, then back up at her. "It was a mistake," he begins, "I never meant for it to happen. I never wanted to hurt you." He speaks in a slow, deliberate voice, for he is speaking the truth. He would never do anything to cause her this much pain. He loves her more than anything and losing her would be like losing a part of himself.
She stares at him for a moment longer then turns towards the hall. He makes a move to stop her, thinking she is headed for the front door. But he returns to his chair when she turns into the bathroom. He knows she doesn't want him in there, watching her wipe away the tears.
He doesn't try to follow her as she walks up the stairs and into their room. He knows that if he did it would only make things worse. He gets that she needs to think about what comes next and God knows she can't do that with him watching her every move. He closes his eyes and concentrates on the faint sound of her pacing in the room above him. He is afraid that he might have finally hurt her more than she loves him. There's nothing he can do about it now, thogh. The damage is done.
He realizes that as long as she is still pacing, she is still thinking. And the longer she thinks, the more likely she will stay. He leans back in his chair and takes comfort in the fact that he can still hear her footsteps.
Chapter End Notes:
You can really put whoever you want in the story, I just had Gibbs in mind when I wrote it. This one isn't one of my best, but I'll let you decide for yourseslves. Please feel free to comment with any positive or negative feedback.

DISCLAIMER: If I owned Mark Harmon do you think I spend my time writing stories?