- Text Size +
*Still flashback*

As Abby and Gibbs take their seats in the Italian Café Gibbs pulls Abby's seat out for her.
"How courteous Gibbs" says Abby jokingly, "do you treat all your staff like this?"
"Only the beautiful ones" replies Gibbs trying to continue the joke but looking at the floor.
"Awww. So that rules out DiNozzo then, he'll be so sad" continuing the attempt at humour.
Awkward laughter follows.
"Erm…anyway, there was something you needed to talk to me about?" asks Abby, breaking the awkwardness.
"Yes there was, wasn't there." Says Gibbs still acting peculiarly and trying his hardest not to make eye contact.
"Well…?"
"Well, erm…you know I have all these rules, right?" starts Gibbs nervously.
"Yes" replies Abby thinking ‘oh god which one have I broken now?'
"and I always say that there is no way and no one I would ever break even one of these rules for."
"uh-huh" replies Abby now wondering where on earth this conversation was going.
"Well…there is one rule I would break and only one person in the world I would break it for"
"Yeah, so…which one, and who for?" says Abby starting to think that this conversation might have a point after all but still wondering what it could be.
"I really don't know how to say this Abs" says Gibbs clearly feeling that he should never have started this conversation.
Oh come on my Silver-haired fox, you can tell me anything." Says Abby curiously, "Anything." She adds to convince him.
"Okay here goes…" starts Gibbs, nervously "I would break rule 12 and I would break it for you Abby"
Abby is silent, she looks at Gibbs curiously while he sits waiting for her reaction.
"Which one is rule 12 again?" she asks with a puzzled look on her face.
"'never date a co-worker' and I would break it for you Abs" says Gibbs gaining back his usual confidence "I love you Abby" he adds to make sure she knows what he means and reaching across the table to take Abby's hands from around her coffee mug into his hands.
"I've loved you for ages Abby, I just thought that if anyone found out they would think I was a hypocrite"
"Not meaning to be rude or anything but what made today seem so special?" asks Abby.
"I couldn't take it anymore" replies Gibbs simply, "and please don't think I expect you to feel the same or say it back. I just wanted you to know. I'll give you time to think about it"
Gibbs stands up, pushes his chair in and puts money on the table for Abby's coffee, they hadn't had the chance to order food. He leaves Abby thinking ‘did he just say what I think he said'