- Text Size +

Jethro unlocked his front door and stepped back to let Carly in. He knew she was still coming down from the events that took place at her apartment and she'd need some time to come to terms with things. He watched as she looked around his living room, taking in the furniture and lack of decoration. He allowed her to take his hand when she reached out, knowing this too was something she needed. A lifeline to what was real and now, not a connection to the madman who had tried to kill her.

She turned to him and asked, "Got any coffee?"

He smiled and led her to the kitchen. She sat down as he put the coffee on. He looked at her, sitting there drawn into herself and knew he couldn't let her stay like that. He went to her and pulled her into his arms. Her dark blue eyes met his and she smiled.

"I like your house, Jet."

Jethro laughed. "Don't lie, Carly. I saw the way you looked at the living room."

"Well, it is a little spartan, but it fits for some reason." She explained.

With a smile still on his lips, he leaned down to kiss her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

More hungry for him than she wanted to admit, Carly kissed him like she was thirsting and he was cool, pure water. She was breathless when he pulled back and slowly released her. Desire and confusion warred inside her as she watched him get cups and pour coffee into them. He wanted her that much she could tell from the way his breathing was erratic and the pulse in his neck was jumping. Ready to tell him to forget the coffee, the words died on her lips when he looked at her with a sad, serious expression. With an inward sigh, she sat back at the table knowing the speech she was about to hear. He handed her the cup and sat opposite her with the hands that knew her body so well wrapped around his own cup.

"Carly…"

"Let me guess, Jethro, these last couple of weeks have been nice but a fluke, right? You wouldn't have gotten involved with me if the situation hadn't forced the issue?" she interrupted trying to beat him to the punch and delay the hurt she felt as well.

When his eyes met hers, she knew she was right. He invited her to stay because her apartment wasn't fit to return to and to shut her out. He drank his coffee without a word and when the last drop was gone, he stood up.

"No, damn it." His jaw was stiff and he stood over her. "I want you Carly. This," he pulled her back into her arms and his hands found her rear, "is not over. Unless you want it to be."

Surprised that he changed his mind and was giving her the power to end it, she wrapped her arms around his neck. "I want you Jethro. Just you."

He lifted her up off the floor and kissed her again. She tasted coffee and heaven when his tongue swept into her mouth and she gave herself over to his control knowing she was safe.