- Text Size +

In the process of standing, Gibbs eased back down into his seat. Quickly assessing the situation, he noticed Sal getting the staff out the back door. The five men moved through the restaurant, selecting tables of people. They collected cell phones and car keys and sent the people out the front door. Gibbs noted that the gunmen had released all the elderly diners and couples with children.



Slowly meeting the eyes of his agents, Gibbs look cautioned them to do nothing. He reached out to squeeze Carly's hand and saw the bewildered look on her face. Abby was watching him as well and he signed, "We don't act until we know what they want." He knew they understood when he saw them relax.



The people remaining in the dining area were a different story. The women were openly upset and some were crying. The men were scared and it showed. Disgusted with the reactions of the civilians, Gibbs concentrated on the men. Two of them were making their way to the table where the team sat and Gibbs released Carly's hand not wanting to hint at a connection. Stopping short of their table, the leader pointed his gun at Lacey.



"We've been looking for you," he said.



With a look of annoyance, Lacey replied, "You've found me. Only took you what, two years?"



"Your father sent us."



"Now I know you're lying. My father wouldn't send you to find a treat for his dog, let alone his only daughter," Lacey said. "And he definitely wouldn't have sent you so heavily armed."



Angered, the man motioned with his hand and the remaining diners were released. The front door was once again locked and the leader circled the table cautiously.



"Your friends aren't going to be a problem now are they, Lacey?"



"They'll be less of a problem than I am David."



Laughing at her use of his name he said, "Good. I would hate to have to hurt them."



Lacey sat still as a post, not betraying with a glance or expression who his softest target would be.



Gibbs watched the other men grow restless and edge closer to the table. One of them walked right up to the one called David and said, "This wasn't what we signed up for. You said the old man wanted us to grab her when she was alone."



David took his gun and slammed it into the protester's face. Looking at the remaining three, he asked, "Anyone else have a problem with this?"



The team took advantage of their distraction. Tim took down David, while Ziva, Tony and Gibbs disarmed and cuffed the others.



Sal ran out of the kitchen with a gun in his hand and froze when the four federal agents aimed their guns at him.



"No!" Lacey shouted and ran over to Sal, hugging him tight.



Laying the gun down carefully, Sal wrapped both arms around Lacey and ran his hand over her head. Glaring at the man now prone and unmasked on the floor, he muttered in Italian.



Lacey laughed. "You're right, Pop. Some men are too stupid for words."