- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gabby
SONG: Anyway

Gibbs has been pushing his team hard since they had investigated the murder of the mother and daughter. He decided they all needed a break and took them to the bar where Abby told him she first spotted him. She was smiling when they walked in the door. Over the years, the bar had changed only a little. The most noticeable differences were the stage and karaoke set-up. Gibbs smiled when he heard Tony dare Abby to sing a song. The only music on the jukebox was country and Gibbs was sure the karaoke was the same. Abby hopped up and walked over to the man running the equipment. After a moment of looking over the playlist, she chose a song and by her smile, Gibbs knew it would be a good one.



Abby took the mic and ignored the stares from everyone in the bar. She was used to it and it didn't bother her a bit. She only had eyes for the silver-haired fox at the table of five. The music started and Abby was pleased to see surprise on the faces of her friends.



You can spend your whole life building
Something from nothing
One storm can come and blow it all away
Build it anyway
You can chase a dream
That seems so out of reach
And you know it might not ever come your way
Dream it anyway



God is great, but sometimes life ain't good
And when I pray
It doesn't always turn out like I think it should
But I do it anyway, I do it anyway



Abby was watching Gibbs and saw the expression on his face change. Knowing he was still hurting from the pain of memories she was tempted to stop singing but she forged on.



This world's gone crazy
And it's hard to believe
That tomorrow will be better than today
Believe it anyway
You can love someone with all your heart
For all the right reasons
And in a moment they can choose to walk away
Love ‘em anyway



God is great, but sometimes life ain't good
And when I pray
It doesn't always turn out like I think it should
But I do it anyway, I do it anyway



As she sang, Abby saw the look in Gibbs eyes. He looked as if a weight had shifted, not entirely gone, but not holding him as tightly as before.



You can pour your heart out singing
A song you believe in
That tomorrow they'll forget you ever sang
Sing it anyway, sing it anyway



I sing, I dream, I love, anyway



When the last notes of the music died, the entire bar erupted in applause. With a slightly embarrassed look at the praise of the crowd, Abby smiled and walked quickly back to the table. Over the surprised inquiries from Tony, Ziva and Tim, she met Gibbs' gaze. Her breath caught at the love she saw in his eyes and the smile that broke out on her face dazzled everyone.




~Calalily~