- Text Size +
Story Notes:
please see chapter 1.
Author's Chapter Notes:
please see chapter 1.
Chapter 9: Introductions & memories

Feeling Gibbs' thoughtful gaze in his back, Tony tried to compose himself after this embarassing scene. Not that he was ashamed of his feelings for the silver-haired agent. No, Tony's love and admiration for his boss was something that felt distinctly right in his heart and mind. And Gibbs deserved to be loved like Tony did…unconditionally. Without reserve.

But being pushed to admit his emotions to the subject of his affections, even as gently but not really subtly like Rethron and Istyan had done mere minutes before, caused Tony to clam up. His feelings for Gibbs ran too deep to be hastily shown and possibly rejected; the young man preferred to open up about them step by step. Slowly. That way he could back down if he felt Gibbs was uncomfortable with his affection and still stay friends with the older man.

Abby's voice interrupted Tony's internal musings, when she finally managed to drag the young man over to the rest of his family and teammates. Concentrating on the scene in front of him, Tony smiled warmly. Each of his childhood companions had taken residence next to one or two of his friends, even introducing themselves to them. Tony remembered that Abby said that Leyra had spoken to her in her mind. And Istyan had done the same with Gibbs.

Besides Tony only Piper, Phoebe and Penny had seen the young man's protectors before. When they had been children and Tony gained the companionship of the elemental spirits one after the other, his cousins had befriended them too. Aethos, the stormdragon, had been Phoebe's favorite, while Piper had often been content to cuddle into Taikon's warm soft fur. The brown bear had sometimes allowed her to ride on his strong back, playing with her as well as protecting the little girl.

Lost in his memories of his childhood, Tony looked back at Istyan. The Arctic Wolf had been Prue's preferred playmate when they were young, matching her even then serious behaviour. Tony knew, that Istyan mourned his cousin's loss like he did, had seen it in the wise blue eyes. But the Ice-Spirit had also bonded with Gibbs, indicating by that whilst remembering past days and loved ones was good, dwelling on it wasn't. Tony agreed with that.

Shaking his head slightly to clear it of the memories, which poured into his mind when he thought of his cousins and himself as children, Tony finally gave his whole attention to the display in front of him. And found everyone's attention centered on him. Phoebe's and Piper's gazes showed a bit of sadness and Tony realized that they had seen him look back at Istyan. The two sisters obviously knew what he had been thinking about and remembered those times on their own. The three young people exchanged a look and took comfort from their shared reminiscence about Prue.

Coming to a stop some steps away from his friends and family, Tony enjoyed the strong, magical and loving presence his childhood companions exuded. They had granted Tony some minutes with Rethron alone, who had always been the elemental spirit closest to the young man. The mighty firelion and Tony shared an especially deep bond, because their personalities matched the most. But now each of the spirits wanted to greet their Guardian properly and so they left their places next to Tony's friends and family – and advanced on the young man with youthful exuberance.

The next moment Tony was swamped under a tangled mass of fur, feathers and coils – making his family and friends laugh after a minute of startled silence at the sudden attack. It really was a sight to behold. The formerly dignified beasts were acting like little pups with their most beloved toy… trying to snuggle with Tony, nuzzling him and overall showing him how much he had been missed.

It wasn't until a commanding roar sounded, that the beasts moved back. But Rethron had let them know it was time to give Tony some air after their overjoyous greeting. With definite reluctance the spirits let go of Tony, retreating only those inches needed to give the young man enough space to sit up again. They encircled him inside their midst, occasionally giving him a short gentle nuzzle or a feathery touch.

Tony on his part had been a bit overwhelmed for a moment, but quickly got caught up in the joy his childhood companions expressed so freely. When he slowly sat up, his family and friends shared another amused laugh. Tony's usually carefully styled spiky hair was a mussed chaos and his face flushed from the surprise attack on his person. But the expression on his features made his friends slightly breathless. They had never seen Tony this happy before. His green-golden eyes were glowing with delight, full of warmth and a magical power all his own. The joyful tenderness, when he reached out to caress thick fur or smooth coils, tugged playfully at colorful feathers…it all expressed Tony's emotions at being in the presence of the elemental spirits again. It was a picture neither of his friends would ever forget.

It wasn't until Rethron's deep voice echoed gently inside his mind, that Tony realized he had totally forgotten his human friends in his delight at reconnecting with his spiritual ones.

#You should start to follow the wish of the exuberant one, my friend, and introduce us to her and your other friends. I fear she will burst with curiousity otherwise.#

#What?# Tony answered slightly startled, his gaze turning towards the fiery lion. Rethron had taken a place next to his left side, fullfilling his guarding duty even inmidst a room full of friends. Chuckling at Tony's reaction, the mighty beast lifted his head and nudged Tony slightly in the side. #I said you should introduce us spirits to your human friends. They are very curious about us, especially your young female friend. She has much energy, hasn't she?#

#You don't know even the half of it#, Tony replied with a smile, catching up on Rethron's train of thought. Letting his hand rest in the lion's warm thick fur, Tony turned his focus on Abby and the rest of his teammates and family. Each of them exuded a more or less obvious curiousity at the presence of the spirits.

Grinning warmly, Tony found Rethron's observation confirmed in the way Abby almost bounced in her seat while switching her wondrous gaze from one of the spirits to the next and back again.

"I am sorry", Tony apologized, "but I was just so happy to see all of my spiritual companions again. It has been very long ago that I could talk to them, even see them like now… and I missed them a lot." The last he said with a melancholy touch in his voice. But before anybody could try to sooth this tandril of pain with a compassionate word or touch, Tony shook his head a bit as if to get rid of some hurtful memory.

A smile once more appeared on his face and Tony continued in a lighter voice. "Some of you", the young man focused on Piper, Phoebe and their grandmother, "already know about Rethron and the others. But for the rest of you, I would like to introduce them." Tony's teammates nodded eagerly, even Ducky and Gibbs, who had reclaimed his seat, forgoing to hide their interest in the spirits.

"I think the best way to do this is in the order I met them when I was a child", Tony mused and then smiled down at Rethron. "Which means you will be the first to be introduced", he said to the big firelion. Turning back towards Gibbs and the rest of the NCIS team, Tony explained: "Rethron is the spirit of fire, which you undoubtedly already realized by seeing his fur." The young man accompanied his words by carding his hand softly through the flaming mane.

"He has been the first to bond with me and become my companion. And protector." A sheepish grin flitted over Tony's handsome face, when he remembered the way he had gained his most beloved spirit. Seeing the curiousity of his friends, the young man explained with a rueful expression on his features: "I always had what my mother declared to be an almost unholy fascination with fire and light. In the evenings she used to light candlesticks on the dinner table and often made my father kindle a fire in the open fire-place after we had eaten. Then they would sit in this huge armchair and talk about the day." Tony's green-gold eyes focused on something only he could see, when he remembered those peaceful evenings. There had been so much love and care in the air, even at his young age he had known this were feelings to be cherished. A reminiscent smile played around the young man's lips, when he continued.

"I may have been three or four, when one of those evenings got a bit more hectic for my parents than they had anticipated. Because they knew I loved to watch the flickering fire, my father made sure I always remained at a safe distance from the fire-place. But when they were distracted once, I used my chance to crawl nearer to the flames. I was fascinated by their brightness, how they flickered and lit up our living-room. I wanted to feel their warmth on my skin…and reached out."

Abby gasped and several of Tony's other friends winced at the mental picture of the young child getting burned by the fire. When Tony saw their reaction, he hastened to add: "I wasn't hurt. When I reached out towards the flames, my hand wasn't burnt by the fire."

Looking down at Rethron at his side with gratitude shining in his eyes, Tony explained: "It was quite funny for me to suddenly feel soft, thick fur under my fingers when I encountered the flames, but I almost gave my parents a heart-attack when they saw what I was doing. They heard me giggle at the tickling feeling of the fur and my Dad came running to help me with Mom right behind him."

Tony's eyes clouded with the memory of his father snatching him back from the fire and into his arms. He had been hugged so tightly for a moment, that he had felt disoriented by the sudden change in location. And at his young age he hadn't known how dangerous his adventure could have been – for any other child without his family's connection to Dendeyra's spirits it could have easily been deadly. But for Tony it had been time to meet his first guardian.

"When my father swept me up into his arms and away from the fire, I didn't know why both Mom and he were so agitated", Tony resumed his tale. "I could feel that they were afraid for me, but didn't know what caused their fear. So I tried telling them what I had felt – that there had been fur under my fingers when I reached for the flames. At first they didn't believe me, but then Rethron came tumbling out of the fire-place." Tony smiled at the mental image of his friend, who had then been younger too. A mere little cub. But his fur had been aflame like now.

Rethron suddenly growled indignantly. #I did not ‘tumble out of the fire-place', young one.#

Tony blinked at his friend's words, then grinned in amusement and asked teasingly: #Then what would you call it, what you did? It may have been thirty years ago, but I still remember clearly how you went tumbling all over our carpet after mere two steps out of the fire…#

#I merely tripped a bit in my haste to reassure your parents, that you weren't harmed by your curiousity!#, Rethron exclaimed, embarassment and indignation colouring his mental voice. For the dignified mighty beast the reminder of this part of his first meeting with his Guardian was not something he wanted anyone to know about.

Tony just snickered in response, teasing mercilessly: #If you want to call it that.#

Rethron growled warningly, making Tony's friends, who didn't know what the two of them were talking about, shrink back a bit in alarm. They relaxed a second later, when their friend – clearly unimpressed by the threatening sound – laughed out loud and then wrapped his arms around the lion, cuddling into the spirits' side with a contented expression on his face.

Several moments went by while Tony caressed Rethron's fur in thoughtful rememberance of that special day so long ago now. It had been one of the happiest days in his life – finally gaining the friendship of one of the mighty spirits his grandfather had told him about. He had wished to have a companion like Lucas had, one to play and talk with when his parents were busy.

Sighing to himself and snapping out of his memories, Tony softly continued his tale.

"After my Dad and Mom had made sure I wasn't harmed, they allowed me to bond with Rethron. I think especially Dad was relieved that I had gained the first of my protectors, because…", Tony smiled a bit sheepishly, "even at four I have been quite a bit much to handle for my parents. He knew that with a bond to a spirit I would always have someone watching out for me, even if Mom or he weren't there. And Rethron would make sure I wouldn't get harmed by my obsession with flames and fire." When Tony paused, Rethron growled lowly in his throat to confirm his words. He would always look out for the well-being of his bondmate, even if the child had matured over the years into a competent, intelligent young man. The firelion knew his Guardian shared much of his traits, the curiousity and passionate temper only parts of their similarities.

It was Kate who interrupted Tony's tale. "Tony, why weren't your parents more…", the female agent made a helpless gesture with her hand, "shocked about what happened to you? I mean, to see such a mystical creature come out of a fire-place…", Kate trailed off.

Tony sent her an understanding look. "It's not quite normal, isn't it?", he smiled. His partner shook her head, McGee following suit. Even Gibbs had raised his eyebrows when Tony mentioned that his parents had been quite relieved to see Rethron appear to bond with their son.

Tilting his head thoughtfully, Tony sighed. "I should have started by explaining the history of my family more. I am sorry, guys. That has to be a bit much to understand all at once. You see, my family on my father's side has always been deeply immersed in magic. Old magic. Real magic, not those things you hear about in fairytales." Tony's eyes had taken on a very serious look, when he talked about the magic his family inherited.

"It's in our blood. A part of every male member of the DiNozzo-line. Granpapà told me about our ancestors when he taught me the rules about using magic. He said that our bloodline dates back into the times before the middle ages…"

This time it was Istyan, who interrupted with his calm voice. #And even before that. Your family has been bound to our world since the one who started your line. It's your duty to protect our world as the Guardian of Dendeyra – and ours to protect your family in reverse.# #It's an honour, Istyan#, Tony replied earnestly. #One I intend to fulfill to the best of my ability.# The Arctic Wolf nodded approvingly and gently affirmed: #Like we will.#

Turning back towards his friends, Tony continued: "Like I said, magic has always been a major part of my family's history. Every firstborn son would be a future Guardian. And before you are demanding the equality of rights for the women of my clan, Kate", Tony forestalled the protest he could see forming on his partner's lips, "let me tell you that it's not a matter of choice. It's the nature of the magic. Dendeyra's magic can only be carried by a man – just like the ‘power of Three' can only be evoked by women which are descendants of Belinda Warren."

Tony's cousins and Penny nodded to his explanation, causing Kate to flush slightly in embarassment. The gentle prod of a big, black head on her hand let her lift her eyes a moment later, when a deep voice rumbled in her mind: #Do not be ashamed, young one. Gender equality is a great topic these days. But remember what the Guardian said – Dendeyra's magic is very old. And it doesn't care which gender is ‘better'. Who will carry the power is related to the kind of magic. There are sorts which only a woman will be able to use, whilst others are accessible only to the male gender. It's something that just is.#

"Ombra is right", Tony added quietly, startling Kate, who hadn't realized that Tony had heard the spirit's words to her as well. She raised her head to look at her friend, who smiled at her surprise.

"Yes, I heard what he said", Tony affirmed. "I have a connection to each of the spirits. For you their way of talking could be described as telepathy – they are conversing with you in your mind. But for me it's like normal speech…like talking to you right now. Except for when they do not want me to hear what they are saying, I always understand their words to others. It's part of our bond."

Kate nodded, but Abby had another question. "But why aren't all of them speaking to us? I could hear her", Abby pointed at Leyra, "but Ducky couldn't. And Kate could hear what the panther was saying just now, but I couldn't. Why?"

#She is a really curious one. Do you think her minor element is fire?# Rethron mused thoughtfully. Tony blinked for a moment at the firelion's question, then shuddered slightly. #I hope not. Thunder and fire – that's a frightening combination. I thought more along the lines of air or water.#

"Tony!" Abby demanded, when she saw her friend once more absorbed in a silent conversation with Rethron. The young man's head snapped up and green-gold eyes focused on her with a faintly surprised expression. Then his face cleared and lit up with a smile. "Water", he told Rethron. The fiery beast just growled in agreement.

Tony's family and friends exchanged confused looks at the apparent non-sequitur. Abby pouted and crossed her arms, trying to glower at Tony. The young agent's smile widened in response and he confirmed: "Definitely water." #I agree with you, my friend. But now answer her or she'll resort to drastic measures#, Reena interrupted. The spirit of water sounded amused.

Raising his hands in a pacifying gesture, Tony explained this part of the bond. "Because none of you have my family's connection to the spirits, you can only understand those of them embodying the element closest to your own character. Abs, your major element is lightning – hence you can talk to Leyra, who is the Spirit of Thunder. Ducky couldn't hear Leyra, because his major element isn't lightning, but water. I suppose, Reena talked to you earlier?" Tony directed the last question at Ducky. The elderly ME blinked a moment, but then nodded with a content look at the Great Anaconda lying next to Tony on the floor. The huge snake returned the pleased look and Tony could feel that she shared Ducky's satisfaction at their meeting.

"Does that mean that we can only talk to those whom we share the element with?" Gibbs' question was calm, but Tony could distinguish a faint note of disappointment. "Istyan told me that they can understand the human language."

Tony nodded. "Yes, each of them can understand you." Thinking about how to explain it best for his friends, the young agent frowned for a moment. "Think of it as a matter of affinity. The more you are interested in something, the easier it will be for you to learn about the subject you are studying. It's just like that. For you, Gibbs, it will be easiest to talk to Istyan, because he is the embodiment of your major element. That is also the reason it would be quite hard for you to start a conversation with Rethron, because he's the opposite element to Istyan. Rethron will understand you because of his knowledge of the human language, but he wouldn't be able to mind-speak to you. Forcing such a mental connection could hurt you and that's why none of my companions will attempt it."

Thoughtful silence ensued after Tony's explanation. Each of his friends and family members had to digest all the information the young man had just shared. Finally Piper said: "You should introduce the rest of the spirits, Tony."

"Yeah, we digressed quite a bit from the original introduction", Tony agreed. Raising his right arm slightly in a nonverbal invitation, the young man focused on a crimson-gold bird, who immediately spread his wings to fly over to him. Settling on his arm, the beautiful creature rubbed his beak on Tony's cheek. His eyes glowed the same deep green with golden sparks like Tony's.

Smiling with unhidden love at the majestic bird on his arm, Tony trailed his fingertips over the soft feathers, petting his spiritual friend. "That is Sorahl, a Golden Phoenix. He was the second spirit to bond with me, because light is my strongest minor element. He came to me when I turned six, like a special birthday gift."

Turning towards Leo, the young man added: "Sorahl is the Spirit of Light. Wyatt, Chris and you will be able to talk with him, Leo. You being a whitelighter – and Chris and Wyatt future ones - will help that." Piper's husband nodded, his gaze showing how pleased he was that he shared a connection with the magnificent bird, who now moved up onto Tony's shoulder to settle into a comfortable position.

This time it was Paige, who called attention to herself with a question. "Tony, you said that each of us have a connection to one of your spiritual companions because of our major elements. Now you said that light in the form of Sorahl is your strongest minor element. Can you explain that more, because honestly I am a bit confused."

McGee, who had listened the whole time with wide-eyed attention, nodded empathically. Tony saw the younger agent's nod and rolled his eyes at him. "Tim, you can ask questions as well. I know all of this has to be majorly confusing for all of you. It's not as if I will bite your head off."

Suddenly a thought seemed to come to his mind, because Tony's gaze turned a bit shocked, almost alarmed. "You aren't afraid of the spirits, are you?", he wanted to know from McGee.

The other man shook his head, but Tony could detect a faint amount of hesitation in the gesture. Tony sighed. "There's no need to be afraid. They won't hurt you. Ever. It's not in their nature, Tim. Yes, if you were a demon and meant harm to me, the situation would be drastically different. You would end up like those demons earlier. But Rethron and the others know that you are my friends and that I don't want any of you hurt. They will even protect you."

Turning towards Taikon, who had found a place in the ring of spirits around Tony a bit behind the young man on the right side, Tony asked the massive brown bear: #Didn't you tell him that he has nothing to fear? McGee is a bit on the shy side, he needs serious toughening up. But I don't want him to be afraid of you or the others.#

Taikon seemed to sigh a bit and moved forwards to settle down next to Tony, who immediately sank his hand into the bear's fur. #I agree with you. Your young friend needs more self-esteem, if he wants to survive in your line of work. He was quite startled at my attempt to talk to him earlier; I needed a while to bring him out of his surprise…and even then he held a distance to me. Piper wanted to help, but since he doesn't really know her as well…#

#I see#, Tony replied. He turned his head back towards McGee and waved the younger man to come to him. McGee hesitated visibly, his eyes widening a bit. Kate blinked in surprise, whilst Abby just shook her head at her fellow geek's reaction. In her mind, McGee really needed to get more adventurous and accepting of bizarre happenings. Those spirits were really cool and most of all Tony's friends – so there was nothing to fear!

Gibbs frowned, realizing that Tony had been right. McGee was afraid of the magical beings, which were Tony's companions. Turning to look at Istyan, he once more felt the unexpected ease and companionship when the Arctic Wolf returned his gaze with wise, compassionate eyes. The wolf might be a creature of magic and power, but Gibbs was sure it didn't mean to harm any of them. This emotion was pure instinct, but the silver-haired agent had always trusted his gut.

Before he could say something to McGee to help him overcome his fear, Tony beat him to it. The younger man's voice was warm, but had a definite note of authority in it. "Tim, c'mon. Taikon is just a big teddy bear…he won't bite you."

#Teddy bear?#, the brown bear grumbled playfully.

Tony grinned down at him. "Of course you are a big, cuddly teddy bear. I remember that time we played hide and seek when Piper, Phoebe, Prue and I were children. When it was Piper's turn to hide, we searched for her all over the place and only managed to finally find her because I asked you. You have always been watching over her when we visited."

Phoebe's quiet snickers turned quickly audible at that memory, while her sister turned pink in embarassment. Phoebe took over the explanation when Leo looked openly curious about this event in his wife's childhood. "Like Tony said he finally asked Taikon to help us locate Piper, because we knew he would be near her. Taikon guided us up here into the attic where we found Piper behind the couch. Sleeping like a baby, curled into him."

"Heavens, I was seven!", Piper said indignantly. "You needed an eternity to find me. The attic was cold and Taikon had such warm fur…" The Earth-spirit growled warmly at the young woman, who smiled back at him. "You always loved to cuddle with him", Tony remarked impishly.

"As if you didn't do the same with Rethron", Piper shot back. Tony coloured slightly, but nodded a moment later. "Yeah, I did", he confirmed softly, looking down with obvious tenderness at the firelion on his left side.

"But that's not the question here", the young man said, his eyes focusing once more on McGee. The younger agent couldn't deny the silent command in the green-gold eyes and slowly went over towards Tony inmidst the magical creatures. Stopping a couple of feet away, McGee looked helplessly at the massive bear next to Tony. The other spirits had moved slightly away to make room for him, but the young agent didn't really know how to behave now. How do you interact with such a strong, beautiful creature? How do you show the respect its presence evoked in you?

#Sit down, young one.# The deep voice rumbling in his mind made McGee jump in startlement. He wasn't used to hearing voices in his head. A gentle grip around his wrist let him look down and lock eyes with Tony. The older agent smiled at him. But not mockingly or with exasperation. Tony's smile radiated warmth and encouragement. McGee had seen Tony smile like that before when he spoke to victims or children, encasing them in gentle support. To have it now directed at him eased the frisson of fear residing in his stomach at the sight of the massive bear. McGee had always been a bit afraid of big animals, not being much of an outdoor-person. He felt more at ease in the company of computers.

"Sit down, Tim", Tony repeated Taikon's words and tugged carefully at McGee's hand. The other man followed and sat down in front of Taikon. The Earth-spirit looked at him with dark eyes full of wisdom and calm strength, easing McGee's hesitancy. Nonetheless he was startled, when Tony moved his hand, which was still clasped in the other agent's gentle grip, towards the bear's fur.

He had no time to react, to move back. And then he felt his hand sink into silky soft fur, which seemed to caress his fingers in return when he instinctively moved his hand in a slow stroke through the dark brown strands. A low, deep rumble filled the attic, definitely sounding pleased.

#Do that again, young one#, Taikon demanded. McGee lifted astonished eyes, when he heard Tony laugh softly and say: "Well done, Tim. The best way to make friends with them, is petting them into submission."

Tony playfully tousled the fur on Taikon's head, telling his fellow agent: "Taikon is a very gentle spirit, Tim. Earth is the embodiment of strength, patience and resilience. Of knowledge." Green-gold eyes locked onto McGee's blue ones. "You two are more similar than you might think."

"Similar? But…", McGee stuttered at the unexpected compliment.

#He is right, young one. You still have much to learn, but the talent is in you. You have to use it. Why do you think our Guardian has been trying to toughen you up? He is your friend – he can see the talent hidden in you.#

"What? He…he has…", McGee stumbled over the words at Taikon's disclosure of Tony's motives.

#Do you really think he wanted to harass you, young one?#, the bear wanted to know. #There is no malice in our Guardian, I can assure you of that. He just wants to help you gain self-esteem and…#

The Earth-spirit was interrupted by Tony, who rolled his eyes. #Would you stop please? There's no need for him to know all that, Taikon.# The young man's mental voice carried a touch of exasperation and embarassment.

Even if Taikon's words were true, Tony didn't want undue attention on his motives. Yes, he tried to teach McGee everything he knew about being a good investigator, but the younger man didn't have to know that. Tony liked to bicker and banter with his fellow agents, their exchange of friendly barbs and sharp wit an expression of their friendship in itself. There was no need to dissect and analyse it.

Groaning mentally at the thoughtful look in McGee's eyes, Tony turned around to Paige when the young woman called to him. "Yes, Paige?", he replied. His cousin just looked expectantly at him.

Tony blinked. That caused Gibbs to shake his head and say: "She asked you a question before, DiNozzo! Care to answer her?" For someone unused to Gibbs' bark it might have seemed like he was snapping angrily at Tony, but the young man knew better. There was no heat in Gibbs' words and he could hear the underlying understanding and affection.

Thinking back Tony realized that he hadn't answered Paige before. Smiling apologetically at his cousin, he said: "Sorry, Paige. This conversation is digressing left and right. Well, how do I explain it best?" Tony frowned in thought, then brightened. "Paige, your major element is lightning like Abby's. Right?" Paige nodded in affirmation, Abby following suit to Tony's amusement.

"Well, let's compare it to astrology. The Zodiac signs. They say, that the planet you were born under has the most influence on your character and behaviour. For example, if you were born in late May or early June, you are a Gemini, influenced by Mercury. Your main element is like that planet – it has the most influence on you, your strengths and weaknesses. Lightning is powerful and can be destructive, it's quick and mostly unforseeable. In a human it can stand for a sharp mind, but also a quick temper."

Tony paused to see if his explanation made any sense for his family and friends. Abby grinned at him, his short characterization clearly not bothering her at all. Tony smiled back at her, delighted to have such a wonderful friend in the young goth. When Paige nodded at him, too, the young man continued. "To remain with the astrology example, the minor element would be the ascendent. The house which was closest to your main house when you were born. It influences you, but not nearly as much as the planet of your zodiac sign. Minor elements can be compared to the ascendent. They influence some of your behaviour and way of thinking – but they aren't major traits of your character. Abby, your minor element is water. It grounds you to some extent, supports you. Water is also the element of foresight…it could well be the cause of the intuition you have shown in some of our cases." Abby had listened very attentively to Tony's explanation and now beamed at him in delight. Kate raised an eyebrow, but smiled approvingly at him. Ducky nodded and even Gibbs' ice-blue eyes showed agreement with Tony's words. Each of his friends had clearly understood what he tried to explain with his comparison to astrology.

Tony was relieved that he was able to make his friends understand by comparing magic to things they knew about and could relate to. It made it more ‘normal' for them, easier to digest and come to terms with.

Then he smiled in amusement, when Taikon's low rumbling growl got louder. The Earth-spirit really enjoyed McGee's attention…and the young man overcame his initial fear of the magical being. For Tony it was obvious that McGee was now more relaxed in the company of the spirits, especially Taikon's. There was still wide-eyed wonder in his blue-grey eyes, but no more unease.

"Well, to go on in the introduction", Tony said with his amused gaze still on the picture of McGee and Taikon, whose head now almost lay in the younger man's lap, "the spirit McGee is currently making really happy is Taikon. Spirit of Earth. He was the third spirit to bond with me. I think, I was nearly seven then."

McGee smiled shyly at Tony's words and continued caressing Taikon's fur, feeling himself relax into the presence of the majestic spirit. He could feel the strength under his hand, heard the steady rumble of pleased acknowledgement of his petting and let the wonder and amazement, that this beautiful creature was the personification of his major character traits wash over him. It was humbling and giving him self-confidence at the same time.

"Istyan came to me not long after Taikon", Tony continued, reaching out towards the Arctic Wolf. The Ice-Spirit went to stand in front of him and Tony wrapped his arms around him. The young Italian was still excited that he could touch each of his beloved companions again after all this years without even be able to talk to them, that he used every possibility he had to confirm they were really corporal again.

Istyan's ice-blue eyes gazed at him in compassion and calm delight, then the Arctic Wolf suddenly nuzzled Tony's cheek. The silent reassurance was rewarded with a happy smile from Tony, who readily let his emotions be supported by Istyan's collected presence. The young man felt reminded of Gibbs' steadiness and calming presence. Then he mentally blinked and reversed that thought. It wasn't Istyan, who reminded him of Gibbs – it was the other way around. Those two were really alike and Tony realized that his instinctive trust and belief in the older man from day one stemmed from the fact that he must have subconsciously felt Gibbs' similiarities to Istyan.

Huh. Well, they were alike. Even their eyes had the same beautiful color, expressing the strong and collected character behind the blue depths. Eyes, which could freeze another person with just one piercing look. Tony had always thought, that his Boss could throw ice-daggers with his eyes.

The smile that thought generated was part mischievous amusement and part honest respect. An expression so purely Tony, that Gibbs' heart stumbled when the younger man directed it at him. Gibbs loved Tony's smiles, the warmth and kindness they transpired. But this smile was different, special to the older man. Only Tony had ever treated him with a smile that blended admiration, indulgence, friendship and compassion all in one. A smile that said: ‘I know you, I respect you, I believe in you. And I like you, even if you behave like a bastard.'

It was the last part, that had at first shocked Gibbs, when Tony had given him this special smile the first time. He had been especially hard on his teammate during a very bad case, earning his second B for bastard. Every other agent would have either run for the hills screaming in fear or gone to the Director to complain about him. Tony had done neither – he had simply smiled this peculiar smile at him, the same expression in his deep green eyes and remained by his side through thick and thinn. That had gained Tony Gibbs' full respect – and his friendship. It had been the ground for deeper feelings to grow over the following months and years.

Allowing some of those emotions to show in his eyes in return, when Tony gave him that special smile now again, Gibbs said: "You going to characterize him, DiNozzo?" The younger man's smile turned impish. "Do I need to, Boss? Istyan and you are very alike. And I think Abby, Ducky, Kate and McGee know you."

Abby giggled, Ducky's mouth quirked into a smile and Kate barely managed to muffle her snort. Even McGee grinned at the implied: ‘So there.'

"Smartass." Gibbs wasn't angered. He had his own well of patience and indulgence when it came to Tony. The younger man's way of treating him sometimes seemed to border on insubordination for the untrained eye, but Gibbs had soon realized it was part of Tony's ability to ground him. There was always respect hidden behind even the most insolent of Tony's words, but also the reminder that the younger agent wouldn't cower in fright of Gibbs' temper. The silver-haired man had learned to live with and rely on it, even coming to like it.

Giving Istyan's silky fur a loving caress, Tony nodded to the silver-haired agent's reply and silently wondered if Gibbs' silver hair would be equally soft. Then he quickly shoved the thought aside for the moment. That wasn't a topic to think about now. The older man was in an unusually gentle mood, as open and accepting as Tony had ever seen him. Tony reveled in this softer side of his hard-ass Boss, seeing Gibbs' compassion as the sign of true friendship.

Before he lost himself in his musings, the sould of flapping wings let Tony focus on Leyra. The spirit of Thunder settled herself on his knee, when Istyan reluctantly moved away from Tony's caressing hand to make room for her. The Arctic Wolf went over to Gibbs, who instinctively settled his hand into the silver-white fur. Tony's earlier words that each of the spirits seemed to really like being petted were obviously true, because Istyan nuzzled shortly into his hand before he lay down.

Abby's attention had focused on Leyra, which she knew from earlier was her matching spirit. Paige was doing the same, dark eyes alight with curiousity and wonder. Even she, who had seen so much magic and different magical beings as a witch was awed by the majesty each of Tony's companions exuded. It was a gift to be affiliated to one of them.

Finally she couldn't hold back her curiousity any longer and asked: "Tony, you told us earlier that Leyra represents Lightning. Can you tell us more about her?" Tony nodded. "She's a Thunderbird. Leyra and Aethos bonded with me at the same day, during a holiday with my grandfather. Grandpapà and I were surprised once by a thunderstorm and got separated."

Tony's eyes showed, that he was once more lost in memories. Aethos, the huge stormdragon, who had patiently waited for his turn to be introduced to Tony's friends, now wrapped one of his gleaming light-blue wings around his Guardian's body. The sheltering gesture gained him a smile from Tony and the young man's fingertips glided gently over the azure coils of Aethos' wing in a silent thank-you.

"Like I said, my grandfather and I got separated shortly during the thunderstorm", Tony explained, "and I remember that for a moment I felt as if the world was ending. I was only ten years old and even with the training Grandpapà had given me I wasn't sure I would be able to guard myself against the raging of nature's power. But I didn't have to, because the second I seemed to be in danger, Aethos and Leyra appeared and guarded me. They had been the ones producing the thunderstorm – because it was time for them and me to bond."

Letting his fingertips glide over Leyra's feathers, raven-black interspersed with golden arrows, Tony snorted lightly. "My grandfather later told me, that we weren't really separated by the storm. He had been just out of my reach, watching over me during the bonding with Aethos and Leyra. Sneaky old man had known before that the time was right for them to appear to me."

#You know that a bonding between a Guardian and a spirit is a very private matter, young one#, Aethos' voice scolded lightly.

Tony leaned back into the compact body of the Air-Spirit and replied: "Of course it's a private matter, Aethos. But in that thunderstorm I was scared out of my mind for a while until Leyra and you turned up. He could have told me."

#It was meant as a learning experience, young Guardian#, Leyra voiced her own opinion. #You had to learn respect of the powers you were about to bond to. Like you earlier said to your female friend, lightning can be a destructive power. Remember your appartement.#

Tony winced. #Yeah, you are right. And I wasn't really angry at Grandpapà, just a bit miffed.#

#I remember that conversation#, Aethos joined their mental dialog once more. There was clear amusement in the voice of the Spirit of Air. #He was really impressed by some of things you grumbled at him.#

Leyra's mental chuckles sounded like thunder in the distance. #Aethos is right. That was a special sight. I think he was glad you didn't call for Rethron.#

Tony rolled his eyes at her. #As if I would have ever hurt him!#

A pointed clearing of one's throat brought the attention of the three friends back to the present. Startled Tony looked at Abby, who glowered playfully at him and shook her head. "Tony, you have to stop having silent conversations", she complained. "It's odd to watch you sit all silent on the floor and know that you are talking at the same time." Green-gold eyes blinked at her.

"Sorry?", Tony said a bit shyly. "It's just so natural to talk to them like that. I don't do it on purpose so that you feel left out, promise."

"We know that", Kate voice reassured. "But like Abby said, it's a bit strange to watch." Tony just looked at her, not knowing what to say. Kate sighed and then pointed at the panther lying next to her feet. "There are still two of your friends you haven't introduced, Tony. I'd like to know which element Ombra represents, since he obviously embodies my major elements since he spoke to me earlier."

"Ombra is the opposite to Sorahl", Tony gladly refocused on introducing his companions. "He is the Spirit of Twilight."

Kate frowned, obviously trying to see the similarities to her own character. Tony hastened to explain, before she assumed the worst. "Don't mistake twilight for darkness, Kate. Just because your major element is twilight you aren't a bad person. It means a habit for secrecy, the ability to see without being seen. You were a Secret Service Agent once, and a really good one. In that line of work you had to stay in the background to watch out for the President's safety. In the shadows."

Kate seemed a bit relieved by Tony's explanation, making him aware that he had been right that she had naturally assumed bad traits with twilight. Now she brightened, when the huge black cat nudged her head once more under Kate's hand. The female agent rubbed Ombra's ears gently, who emitted a rumbling purr of contentment, making Tony's partner grin in delight.

#Well, that leaves me for last#, Reena said calmly. She wound her long body around Tony's strong frame, her coils shining green, blue and yellow. Reena was an extraordinarily beautiful example of a Great Anaconda. And very impressive.

"But not least, Reena. Never the least important", Tony reassured her softly. "Each of you is very important to me in his or her own right. And you are Dad's legacy…all that remained of him." The young man's voice had dropped and sadness now dominated his eyes. The memories coming with the introductions of his spiritual friends made Tony very emotional, his feelings seesawing back and forth between happiness and sadness.

Reena nudged him gently under the chin. #I was part of him and now I am part of you. Both makes me very proud. Your father might be gone from this existance, but his essence isn't lost. Much of him still lives in you, young friend. Remember that.#

"I will", Tony nodded. With a determined shake of his head he tried to let go of the sadness the death of his father still induced, even after many years. Venting a deep sigh, the young man squared his shoulders and then looked at his friends and family.

The eyes of Piper, Phoebe and Penny showed compassion, because they knew about Reena's bond to Tony's father. Leo, Paige and Tony's teammates instead looked concerned about the amount of sadness Tony had exuded for a moment. They could see that something of importance was tied to the last spirit.

Tony had to swallow before he was able to introduce Reena. His fingers glided mindlessly over the glittering coils of the Water-spirit, while his memories threatened to overwhelm him. But then the warmth of Rethron's presence seeped into his conscience and Tony sent him a feeling of gratitude in return. #Tell them, young friend.# The firelion's voice was soothing.

"Reena is the Spirit of Water", Tony began softly. "She, along with Ombra, was the last to bond with me. What makes her different from the others is the fact that she was formerly bonded to my father." Tony's voice remained soft, but got steadier when he continued.

"You have to understand, that each spirit only bonds to one Guardian. Usually. That are the rules of Dendeyra's magic. But my father was never an active Guardian…he had the training and the abilities, sure. But he never went to fight against the demons who are after the magic of the Spirit-realm. For the major part my Dad lived a ‘normal' life with my mother and me. I think he knew that it wasn't his destiny to become Grandpapà's successor. He knew it was mine."

Tony swallowed against the rising sadness, fought against the anger. He didn't want to be angry at his Dad for having died so long ago, but sometimes he missed him so much it hurt to even breath. He felt so lost then, alone without his father's presence. Matthew DiNozzo had been a gentle man, not as impressive as his father Lucas, but remarkable in his own right.

Tony often remembered the way his father had smiled at him, love in his blue eyes. What he hadn't seen until Matthew had died, was the worry lurking behind the always dominant love in the blue depths. Hadn't realized until Reena bonded with him, that his father's special gift had enabled Matthew to forsee what was to come. That he, Matthew, wasn't meant to ever be a Guardian of Dendeyra.

"My father had an ability, a gift", Tony finally continued, not looking at anybody. He wanted to finish this tale as quickly as possible and wasn't sure if he could when he saw their reactions. "Every Guardian has a special gift, apart from the magic. My father had the gift of premonition. Second Sight. When I was a child, he sometimes used it to prevent me from danger. When I got older it once or twice got irritating when he knew about things I wanted to do and confronted me with his knowledge. But I never realized that this gift was Dad's curse, too. It enabled him to know the day he would die." Tony swallowed heavily. He only dimly heard the startled, horrified gasps from his friends, to absorbed in his own grief.

"Dad never said a word about that knowledge. Not to me, not to my mother or another family member. Not even Grandpapà knew about it. I think he was curious why Dad backed up my own magical training so much, but put it down to my father's support of my delight in the spirits. He never suspected the truth…that Dad hid his illness. Until the day he wasn't able to anymore."

Tony paused and gazed sadly at Reena. "That day he told me to bond with Reena. Dad wanted her to be my foresight – a warning beacon against danger ahead. I believe he hoped that he would still be able to prevent me from getting hurt through Reena. Like he had done in my childhood."

Heavy silence descended after Tony's words. The pain the young man felt at the loss of his father even after all this time emanated from him in waves. Phoebe's empathy made her especially aware of her cousin's deep sadness. She knew that Tony had never had a single premonition through his bond with Reena after his father's death, that he had never really opened himself to this ability of the water-spirit. The young man had his own version of foresight - his intuitive knowledge about right and wrong.

Sudden movement startled Phoebe out of her musings. She watched Agent Gibbs silently weave his way through the ring of spirits huddling around Tony and kneel down in front of the younger man. She couldn't see his face, but she felt the compassion, friendship and love for Tony in him. That was the reason she let him try to handle the situation. Perhaps it would bring them even closer together.
Chapter End Notes:
please see chapter 1.