- Text Size +
As Ducky makes his way back to the ICU waiting room, he sees McGee and Abby walking towards him. As soon as Abby sees him she shrieks, "Ducky! Where are they? Are they okay? How is..?"

"Shh, Abigail. Let's go into the waiting room." Ducky interrupts as he places an arm around the lab tech and leads her into the waiting room. McGee and Stacey with Jason follow them.

"Oh no. It's bad! I just know that it's bad news! Is it Tony?" Abby asks as she takes a seat and then immediately jumps up again.

"No!!! Not Gibbs. Ducky it can't be Gibbs!" Abby cries out as she sees the strained look on Ducky's face.

"Abby, calm down." McGee admonishes, as he stands up and takes her into his arms. Abby holds onto McGee tightly as McGee makes eye contact with Ducky, urging him to give them an update.

"Jethro is still in surgery, so at this stage I really don't know how he is doing." Ducky informs them as Abby starts sobbing.

"Tony is in the ICU and he is going to be fine. You can go in and see him in a few minutes. Kate's in a ward down stairs. She's also going to be okay." Ducky says in an exhausted voice.

"Mmm, Dr Mallard. Have you heard any news about Sasha?" Stacey asks hesitantly.

"Oh, call me Ducky. I'm afraid she's also still in surgery. The nurse said that she would give me an update as soon as Lt Martin and Jethro are out of surgery." Ducky responds. Stacey closes her eyes as she tries to hold her tears back. Sasha, you have to pull through. You just have to be okay! Stacey laments. Then she decides to take charge of the situation.

"Excuse me. I need to take care of a few things. Will you please keep an eye on Jason for me for a few minutes? Thanks." Stacey asks as she places a sleeping Jason on the couch, then stands up and leaves the waiting room. The first thing she does is call her mom to ask her to come over so that she can take care of Jason. Stacey's mom assures her that she will be there right away. Then she arranges with a local Chinese fast food place to have Chinese food delivered to the agents in the ICU ward. She also arranges for Starbucks coffee to be delivered. Then she goes in search of her friend, Nurse Patterson to get an update on Sasha and Agent Gibbs. Nurse Patterson doesn't have any information, but she assures Stacey that she will try to find out how they're doing.

--------------------------------------------

In the mean time Abby and McGee go and check up on Tony. He is asleep and looks peaceful. Abby takes his hand into hers and caresses his arm. Tony sighs at being touched and he whimpers, "Kate?"

Abby smiles and leans towards his ear as she whispers, "Tony, It's Abby." Tony's lips curl up slightly as he whispers back, "Abs.." as he slowly opens his eyes.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" Abby asks as Tony focuses on her face and then notices McGee standing next to her.

"Bet…ter now … that … you're… here. Probie…how's … Kate?" Tony groggily asks as he moves and then feels pain pulsate through his leg.

"Aaahhh" he gasps and squeezes Abby's hand tightly as he comes fully awake.

"Tony!" Abby exclaims as McGee buzzes the nurse's station.

"My ….leg!" Tony murmurs as he struggles to catch his breath as the pain intensifies.

A nurse rushes into the room and quickly injects a clear liquid into Tony's IV line as she says, "It's just about time for your next dose of medication." Then she checks his vital signs and waits for Tony to start feeling the effects of the painkillers. As soon as Tony's breathing returns to normal the nurse takes his temperature and says, "Good, your fever's coming down, Agent DiNozzo." Then she looks at Abby and McGee and says, "The medication is going to make him sleepy again so please don't stay too long."

"We won't." McGee says. Then he looks at Tony and says, "Take it easy, Tony. We'll see you later." Abby kisses Tony lightly on his cheek and then they leave the ward.

They also visit Kate during this time and find her asleep. Then they make there way back to the waiting room hoping that there is some news about Gibbs.

--------------------------------------------

Stacey also makes her way back to the waiting room. She is exhausted and terrified that Sasha and Agent Gibbs are not going to be okay. And the events of the last week seem to be catching up to her as she becomes aware of all the tension in her neck and shoulders. As she enters the waiting room, the food and coffee arrives. She forces everyone to eat something despite their protests that they are not hungry. A few minutes later when her mom arrives, she hands Jason over to her saying that she will explain everything to her as soon as Sasha is out of danger.

About a half an hour later, as they sip their coffee, Dr Shore comes in and sits down with them.

"Lt. Martin is out of surgery and will be in the ICU ward shortly. The bullet was removed from her thigh without complications. Her blood loss was substantial but we are treating that with transfusions and fluids." Dr Shore says.

"Thank God." Stacey says in relief.

"Unfortunately, she also has a severe concussion and I'm concerned about her cranial swelling even thought the CT scan did not reveal fractures of hemorrhaging." Dr Shore says. "At this stage we can't risk medicating or sedating her as this could lead to her going into a coma." Dr Shore continues.

"Oh no!" Stacey voices out loud and Ducky places a comforting arm around her shoulder.

"Obviously without meds we expect the pain to be quiet severe and we're hoping that it will force her back to the surface. As soon as she is awake and responsive we will administer the appropriate meds." Dr Shore assures them.

"Okay." Stacey responds with tears in her eyes. "I want to stay with her until she's up." Stacey insists. Dr Shore assures her that it's okay for her to stay with Sasha as long as she doesn't get in the way. Stacey follows Dr Shore out of the waiting room just as McGee's cell phone starts to ring.

"McGee!" he answers.

"Tim, how's everyone doing?" Agent Cassie asks. McGee fills her in on what they know so far and then asks her for an update.

"We've secured the scene and the bodies are being taken to the NCIS morgue." Agent Cassie informs him.

"Did you find anything to identify them?" McGee asks.

"No, but the cabin was wired with explosives. We were just lucky that the timer wasn't set." Cassie continues.

"Okay, get all the evidence sent to Abby's lab and also get their prints and start running them through AFIS. We need to know everything there is to know about them and I especially want to know their connection to Gibbs. Also keep the Director informed." McGee instructs as he notices the stunned expressions on Ducky and Abby's faces.

What? He mouths to them and then he continues to speak to Cassie, his stance almost resembling Gibbs'.

"Regarding the lab, we may have to call in another tech to…" McGee says as Abby interrupts him, "No, I'll process the evidence! Please McGee, I need to keep busy and this is one case that I will not pass up."

"Okay, just get everything to the lab and get me details on all 4 assailants. Gibbs will want a full report when … when he's out of surgery." McGee sighs.

"On it, and let us know as soon as Gibbs is out of surgery." Cassie says as she hangs up.

"Ducky, I need Palmer to start the autopsies on the 4 perps as soon as they're brought in. Tell him to start with the one that was found next to Gibbs." McGee instructs.

Ducky acknowledges, as he says, "Jethro's lessons are bearing fruits. Timothy, you will become an excellent agent yet." Then he calls Palmer and instructs him on what needs to be done.

"You're doing really good McGee. Gibbs will be so impressed when he hears how you took charge of the case." Abby says as she hugs McGee. McGee is surprised by their reactions and realizes that since he is the only one from their team still on his feet, he is in fact the agent in charge. I will get to the bottom of this Boss, McGee asserts as he thinks about Gibbs

Just as he is about to ask Ducky whether he knows who Shannon and Kelly are, Dr Walters walks into the waiting room.

"Dr Mallard, could I have a word with you." Dr Walters says,

"It's about Gibbs! Please, we all need to know." Abby pleads. Ducky nods to Dr Walters indicating that he should continue.

"I'm afraid that Agent Gibbs …" Dr Walters starts saying and Abby shouts, "No!!! He can't be dead! It's not possible!! Not Gibbs!!"

"Abigail, please calm down and let the Doctor speak." Ducky admonishes as McGee holds her.

"Agent Gibbs is in critical condition. We had some touch and go moments in the OR as he arrested twice during surgery." Dr Walters says, cutting out any pleasantries.

"Oh no!" Abby moans as she collapses in McGee's arms. He tightens his hold on her, supporting her weight, as he too processes this information.

Ducky tries to stay calm as Dr Walters continues with his update, "He is stable now, on a ventilator and we are giving him blood and fluids. But at this stage we can't say if there is any permanent damage. We will have to wait until he wakes up. He is being moved into the ICU ward now. I know that all of you are anxious to see him, but please keep it to a few minutes and only one person at a time." Dr Walter states as he leaves the waiting room.

--------------------------------------------