- Text Size +
The next morning, Abby, McGee and Ducky get to work very early.

Abby starts running the 4 perps fingerprints through AFIS and going through all the evidence that Pachhi brought back. Ducky goes over Mr. Palmer's autopsy notes while McGee checks in with Pachhi and Cassie to get an update on what they have. By 8:30am all of them meet in Abby's lab to discuss the case.

"3 out of the 4 prints have come up, one on AFIS and the rest on Interpol. No ID on the 4th one as yet." Abby says as she loads the 3 ID's on the plasma screen.

"Number 1 is Brett Keller, ex-military turned mercenary in ‘93, wanted in 3 countries. He was the one found next to Gibbs. Number 2, Peter von Hagen, German military turned mercenary in '97, 6 outstanding warrants in Europe. Number 3 is Roberto Pollatio, Italian, turned mercenary in'95." Abby says.

"Why were they after Gibbs? When could their parts have crossed? The other question is, were they acting on their own or were they hired by someone?" McGee asks as he realizes that Gibbs could still be in danger. He gets on his phone and calls the Director to arrange for protection at the hospital. The Director assures him that it will be handled and he gets the FBI to help with this.

"McGee, do you remember what Stacey said? She said that Brett said that this was personal because Gibbs had killed Shannon and Kelly." Abby says.

"Abs, go through all Gibbs' files and search for any links to Shannon and Kelly." McGee says as Abby starts typing furiously at her computer. "Ducky, what do you have for us?" McGee says as he turns to the doctor.

"Number one was killed by a single bullet to the base of his skull. The bullet, ricochet up into his grey matter killing him instantly. The other two were killed by a double tap to the chest and the third one was killed by a single shot to the heart. I would say that 3 were shot by Gibbs and Brett was shot by someone else." Ducky says.

"And you would be right Duckman. 3 were shot by Gibbs. The bullets match those fired from his pistol. Brett was shot by Sasha's pistol. One of the bullets pulled from Gibbs came from Brett's gun. The 2nd bullet pulled came from one of the other guns, which I am still busy matching. The one taken from Sasha came from Brett's back up pistol, found next to his body." Abby says.

Suddenly the computer beeps indicating that it has something to report. Abby loads it onto the plasma and all three of them stare at the screen in shock. What they see are 2 pictures, one of a lovely red haired woman and the other a pretty red haired girl. The thing that shocks them is the names at the bottom of each picture. Shannon Gibbs and Kelly Gibbs!

"Ducky??" Abby asks in total confusion.

"Yes, Abigail, it appears that Jethro have kept something's to himself." Ducky says as he puts his arm around her.

"Gibbs' first wife and his daughter!" McGee exclaims as he types into the computer to access more information. "They were murdered in '91 while they were under NIS protection. Gibbs was in Iraq at the time."

"That is so horrible. This must have hurt Gibbs so much. Oh Ducky, how could he not have told us? We could have helped him to deal with this." Abby says as tears gather in her eyes.

"Jethro deals with things in his own way." Ducky says as he hugs Abby.

"Abby, see if there is any link between Shannon and Brett." McGee instructs as he recovers from the shock. Abby moves back to her computer and starts running a few programs.

"I'm on my way to the hospital. I'll call you with an updated as soon as I'm there." Ducky says as he walks out of the lab.

------------------------------------------------------

Back at Bethesda, Sasha wakes up to a mild throbbing in her thigh and heaviness in her head. She can hear the sounds of all the monitors in the room, but it sounds almost like there is an echo. As she comes more awake the pain and heaviness becomes more pronounced but still bearable.

Gibbs watches Sasha come awake in stages. He has been watching her for a while now and is amazed by the connection he feels to her. His body is sore and tender and he knows that he is still very weak but somehow he feels incredibly relaxed. Although he hates hospitals he is not in any hurry to leave. He wants to understand everything that has happened as well as explore what Sasha had said in her drugged state the previous night.

Sasha finally works up the courage to open her lead laden eyes. The room is dimly lit, which prevents her headache from getting worse. She moves her head gingerly from side to side, trying to get the kinks out of her neck. Her eyes are closed as she turns to face Gibbs. As she opens them, her eyes collide with his ice blue eyes. They stare at each other for what seems to be an eternity. Then Sasha smiles dreamily and says, "Hi…"

Gibbs smiles back and says, "How you doing?"

"I'm sore and tired and …… Oh my God, you must hate me after what I put you through!" Sasha says in a raised voice as the events of the last week come rushing back to her.

"Sasha, calm down. I don't…" Gibbs tries to say as he sees how agitated she is becoming.

"I never meant for any of you to be hurt. Oh my God, but all of you were hurt!" Sasha says as she starts to panic as she is not sure if everyone made it out okay.

"Sasha, listen to me!" Gibbs shouts from across the room as he presses the buzzer for the nurse's station.

Sasha ignores him and asks instead, "Are they okay? DiNozzo, Kate and McGee, Oh … my … God, … please … tell me…. that … they're … okay!!" Sasha's headache is becoming worse and she is having trouble breathing.

"Sasha, Damn it, calm down!!" Gibbs shouts again, just as 2 nurses rush into the room, followed by Ducky.

"Jethro, what happened?" Ducky asks as he approaches Gibbs.

"She's going into respiratory distress." The nurse says as they try to place the oxygen mask on Sasha's face. Sasha is having another one of her anxiety attacks. She feels like she is choking and having the nurses around her makes her feel trapped. She fights against the nurses, inadvertently moving her thigh. She cries out as pain ricochets through her leg. The pain is so intense and her breathing is so erratic, that she loses consciousness within a few seconds.

"Is she okay?" Gibbs worriedly asks from the other bed as he hears Sasha go quiet.

"She's passed out. I think she had an anxiety attack." The nurse says. "We're given her a dose of Morphine for the pain and we'll keep her on oxygen for the rest of the day. She should be out for the next hour or two." The nurse continues as she places a nasal canula in place. Another nurse gives Sasha a shot. Then they check her leg, relieved to see her stitches are still intact. They neaten her bedding before moving over to take a look at Gibbs' wounds. They redress his wounds and administers his medication through his IV line before leaving the room..

"Jethro, What is it?" Ducky asks as he sees the concern on Gibbs' face.

"She thinks that I hate her. How could she think that?" Gibbs asks, "I l…" Gibbs stops abruptly.

"You what, Jethro?" Ducky asks although he can guess what Gibbs was about to say.

Just then McGee, Fornell and Stacey walk into the room. Ducky looks at Gibbs indicating that they will talk again later. Fornell observes Gibbs and says, "I know that you hate hospitals, so why do you put yourself into situations guaranteed to land you in one of these beds."

Gibbs glares at Fornell, daring him to say one more word. Fornell decides that a wounded Gibbs could be more dangerous then a normally angry Gibbs.

"McGee, what do you have for me?" Gibbs asks as he turns and glares at McGee. McGee stutters as he starts to fill Gibbs in on all the details they have so far. Stacey keeps an eye on Sasha as she confirms her story and tells them everything that she can remember.

Gibbs' mood becomes murderous when he hears how Brett threatened Sasha and when he realizes that Brett had probably broken into her home and attacked her. He can only imagine how terrified she must have been. Then Stacey tells him what Brett had said about Shannon and Kelly. Gibbs just stares at her as Ducky says, "We know Jethro."

Gibbs closes his eyes as he tries to get his feeling for his dead wife and daughter under control. Just then McGee's cell phone rings and he answers it instantly.

"Tim, How is Gibbs? Why haven't you called me with an update? I've been so worried, I… " Abby asks

"Abby he is okay. Now what do you have for me?" McGee asks as he puts the call on speaker.

"Okay, Brett was stationed in Norfolk during from '89 to '92. He was married and had a daughter. There names were Sharon and Kimberley. They died under mysterious circumstances in 1990. That was when Brett attended a workshop where Shannon was helping out. They apparently became friends, but Brett started pressurizing Shannon to accept his advances. McGee, are you there?" Abby asks as everyone is silent in the hospital room. Gibbs looks ready to explode, he is so angry about all of this and especially about not being around to save Shannon from this scumbag.

"Abby, go on." McGee responds.

"Okay, so Shannon refused for almost a year. Then in October, she witnessed a marine being murdered. She was then taken into NIS protective custody. This is where it becomes really hinky." Abby says.

"What do you mean?" McGee asks.

"Well, it seems that the Mexican, who killed the Marine, was also linked to Brett." Abby says causing Gibbs to push himself up on the bed despite the intense pain this causes.

"Linked, how?" Gibbs growls through clenched teeth.

"Gibbs, I don't think you should be sitting up just yet." Fornell says but Gibbs ignores him.

"Gibbs! How are y…" Abby starts to ask.

"Abby, Now!" Gibbs growls again, as Ducky adjusts the pillows behind his back and Gibbs leans back as pain slices through his body.

"Okay, the Mexican and Brett were recruited by the same sect of mercenaries in Peru. The Mexican killed the marine to protect Brett. Shannon and Kelly were at the function where this marine was killed. When they went into protective custody and Shannon broke all ties with Brett, he ordered the Mexican to kill them as well. I'm so sorry Gibbs!" Abby finishes as McGee hangs up. Gibbs starts to breathe heavily, unable to keep his emotions under control any longer.

Stacey gets up and gets everyone except for Ducky out of the room. And then she goes to the nurse's station to ask for a sedative and painkillers for Agent Gibbs explaining that he has just received some distressing news.

Ducky places a hand on Gibbs' shoulder and says, "Jethro, it wasn't your fault."

"Duck… I wasn't … there for… them! They're … dead because… because I … left them to … that monster…" Gibbs shouts as tears stream down him face. He feels like lashing out at something as he allows all his anger and frustration to pour out of him.

"Jethro, Calm down." Ducky admonishes as he forces Gibbs to lie down again. Gibbs slams his fist into the bed as he shouts, "Damn it, I was suppose … to protect them. How … could I … let them…down like that? I'm such a … bastard." Gibbs moans out in anguish.

"Jethro!" Ducky says as he holds Gibbs' good hand preventing him from slamming it into the bed again.

Just then Stacey and the nurse enter the room. The nurse immediately notes Gibbs' elevated blood pressure and heart rate.

She approaches him and says, "Agent Gibbs, this will help with the pain." Then she tries to roll his bed sheet down and he responds by saying, "I don't want anything. I just want Shannon and Kelly."

Ducky helps the nurse to move the bed sheet out of the way and then he holds Gibbs still while the nurse administers the shots into Gibbs hip.

"I miss them so much!" Gibbs sobs, repeatedly, as he totally breaks down. Ducky just continues to hold him until he drifts into a sedated sleep.

------------------------------------------------------