- Text Size +
In the other ICU ward, Nurse Patty walks in, to find Agents Todd and DiNozzo still fast a sleep. She hates to wake them but she has to check on Anthony's wound and vital signs and than administer another course of antibiotics and painkillers. Kate's wounds also need to be seen to.

As she rounds the bed, she places a gentle hand on Tony's shoulder and says, "Agent DiNozzo, it's time to get up." Tony stirs in his sleep and then realizes that something is tickling his nose. As he comes more awake, he realizes that Kate is lying in his arms with her back against his front. He sighs and hugs her from behind before he can stop himself and then jerks in shock when he sees the nurse standing there, grinning at him.

"Mmm, how." Tony tries to speak, but his throat is dry. The nurse gives him a glass of water, and then he tries again, "How long have you been in here?"

"Oh, long enough. Agent Todd needs to leave your bed now, so that I can take a look at you. And I hope that you haven't strained anything." the nurse says with a mischievous smile, as she gently shakes Kate awake. Tony just glares at her for ruining what could have been a very pleasant morning.

Kate wakes up a bit disorientated. But when she sees Tony and then the nurse, she blushes in embarrassment. The nurse helps Kate to her feet and into a chair. Kate winces as she feels pain in her shoulder and tenderness in her thigh.

"I'll take a look at you as soon as I'm done with Agent DiNozzo." The nurse says.

Kate looks aside while the nurse gets Tony to role over. As she lifts up the bed sheet, Kate looks up and sees the cut on Tony's calf.

"Good news, Agent DiNozzo. A blister hasn't formed again. I'm just going to redress it now and then I'll give you something for the pain." The nurse says.

"I'm not in pain." Tony says through clenched teeth as the nurse touches the wound causing him to jerk his leg.

"Yes, I can see that. I'll give you something anyway. Okay." The nurse says as she helps him to roll back over. That little effort makes DiNozzo realize how weak he is. Then he sees that Kate is watching him worriedly.

"I'm okay." He says as he smiles. His smile turns to a frown when he sees the nurse approaching him with a needle.

"I'm really okay. I don't need that." Tony insists. Kate comes up to the bed and takes his hand. As he looks at her, he forgets about the needle until he feels it sharply penetrate his skin. He winces as he squeezes Kate's hand. She leans down and gives him a gentle kiss, just as an exhausted and concerned Ducky enters the room.

"Oh, I don't think that Gibbs is going to like this but I'm glad to see both of you up." Ducky says causing Kate and Tony to spring apart. The nurse helps Kate back to the chair as Ducky goes up to Tony, to have a closer look at him. The nurse takes a look at Kate's shoulder and thigh and gives her something for the pain.

"You'll probably have to stay for one more night and I think that we will be moving Agent DiNozzo into a general ward later today. I'll arrange for you to share a room." the nurse says with a smirk, as she leaves the room.

"How are you feeling?" Ducky asks as he places a hand on Tony's forehead and notes that it is cool indicating that the fever is gone.

"A bit weak, but okay. Do you know where Gibbs is? I haven't seen him. I mean, I know that he is busy and probably doesn't have time to come and see me. But I just thought. Never mind. I'm sure he'll come by when he has a free moment." Tony says as he suddenly becomes aware of how childish he sounds.

"Anthony, I'm afraid that you will probably have to go and visit Gibbs. He is in the ward next to you. He was shot, twice and we almost lost him." Ducky says as he keeps a comforting hand on Tony's shoulder.

"What?" Tony gasps as a chill runs through his body. Gibbs shot! What the hell happened?

"Ducky, how are they now?" Kate asks.

"Sasha has a severe concussion in addition to the bullet wound and Gibbs lost a dangerous amount of blood. But they should both make full recoveries, that is, if they take the necessary time to heal."

"Gibbs and Sasha! How long was I out? How could I not know all of this?" Tony asks as he pushes himself into a sitting position ignoring the discomfort in his leg.

"Anthony, lie down." Ducky admonishes.

"Please just tell me what the hell's going on." Tony asks as he feels totally out of the loop and terribly worried about his Boss.

Kate and Ducky spend the next half an hour filling Tony in and then Ducky tells them about Shannon and Kelly as well as about Sasha's declaration the previous night. Ducky leaves Kate and Tony to process all the information as he makes his way back to the morgue.

-----------------------------------------------------

Later that day, Sasha wakes up feeling exceedingly groggy. When she is finally able to focus her eyes, she sees Stacey dozing in the chair next to her bed. She smiles at her and then grimaces at the pain in her head. She also realizes that she is a bit nauseous. She must have made a sound, because Stacey is suddenly out of her chair and next to the bed holding her hand.

"Hey there! How are you feeling?" Stacey asks.

"A bit woozy, and sore." Sasha whispers back as she swallows trying to get her nausea under control.

"I believe you had an anxiety attack earlier." Stacey says. Sasha looks at her confused and then everything comes back to her in stages.

"Gibbs and his people… are they okay?" Sasha asks almost afraid to know the answer.

"Everyone is going to be okay. Now I need you to stay calm and listen to what I have to say." Stacey says and then she tells Sasha everything about the case so far. Sasha listens to everything, shocked and angered by all the pain Brett has inflicted on Gibbs. She feels like taking Gibbs into her arms and making him forget about everything. Yeah, like that's ever likely to happen again. Sasha thinks.

"Agent Gibbs could use your help to come to terms with all his unresolved issues regarding his wife and daughter." Stacey says.

"But… he probably hates me. There is no way that he will open up to me." Sasha says as she closes her eyes remembering the extremes of emotions Gibbs has directed towards her. First there was suspicion and distrust. Then there was unbelievable passion and lastly there was anger. But he did follow her to the cabin and most likely his actions helped to save all of them. That showed that he cared for her.

"I don't know what happened between you two but I don't think he hates you. In fact I think that he may actually like you, a lot. Just like I know that you really like him." Stacey says with a smile.

"I never could hide anything from you." Sasha says as she smiles back sadly. She thinks about what Sasha has said and she decides that she will try to help Gibbs, as a friend but not as his psychiatrist. Making love to him has definitely ruled out ever having an official doctor/patient relationship with him.

When Dr Shore comes in and has a look at Sasha, she says, "Your leg's healing nicely and the swelling at your temple is substantially down. I think that we can move you to a general ward by tomorrow morning. But you will still have to stay with us for a few more days, until the headaches subside."

"Thanks, Dr Shore. What about agent Gibbs? How is he doing?" Sasha asks as she looks over at him. He looks relaxed in his sleep and his tousled hair just begs to be touched.

"He's physical wounds are healing well but I believe that he has some emotional issues, that he may need some help with." Dr Shore replies after having a look at Gibb's file.

"Can you arrange for him to be moved into the same general ward as me? I think that I may be able to help with what he is going through." Sasha says.

"I'm sure that that can be arranged. Just don't push yourself or him too hard." Dr Shore says as she leaves the room.

--------------------------------------------------

Gibbs, who has been awake for a while keeps quiet as he hears Sasha's request to share a room with him. You can't help me. Nobody can. And if I get close to you, I will probably destroy you too. I won't let that happen! Gibbs asserts as he starts formulating a plan on how he is going to avoid Sasha.

Why do you want to stay away from her? Another part of him asks. Especially, when all you can think about is losing yourself in her warm embrace!

--------------------------------------------------