- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
fait accompli- something that has happened and is unlikely to be reversed
Author's Note: Thanks for all the feedback! Here's the next chapter.

Disclaimer: Nothing's mine

Gibbs waited impatiently for Kate to come back. Jen had alerted the doctors that he was awake and they'd unceremoniously thrown both women out while they checked him over. Having been poked, prodded and declared in improving health, he was now alone. The nurse had promised to allow Kate back in. He turned his head to the door as it opened.

"Where's Kate?"

The Director eyed him suspiciously. "I sent Agent Todd back to NCIS. Agent DiNozzo thinks he has a lead on who shot you."

Gibbs glared at her. "Ari shot me Jen."

She shook her head. "No, he didn't, Jethro. Haswari is working with us. It wasn't him."

"Says who?"

"His Mossad liasion."

Gibbs stilled, staring at her for a moment. It couldn't be. The past year had been a dream, a fictitious lifetime squeezed into a two week coma. But still, his gut turned. "Ziva David?"

Jenny had been looking out the window while she waited for his response, but now, she turned in confusion. "How did you know that?"

He closed his eyes. He had no idea.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Kate rushed into NCIS, mindful of her cracked ribs. She saw Tony get into the elevator and called out to him. "Wait!" He held the elevator for her as she ran in. "What's going on?"

He shook his head. "I don't know. Probie said he found something. How's the boss doing?"

She allowed a small smile to light her face as she shrugged. "He's awake."

Tony grinned as well. "Yeah."

The two walked into the bullpen. Tony was halfway through calling ‘Probie' when they both stopped dead, standing next to a frozen McGee. All three stared at Gibbs' desk in confused silence.

TBC