- Text Size +

Carly walked slowly around the lab. It was her first day back and her strength had yet to return completely. To be truthful, she wasn't sure what had drained her the most – the flu or Jet's revelation about his first wife and daughter.


Four times. He'd been married four times. And one of those four women had been perfect for him. She loved him as he was, Marine and all. She survived him being stationed away from her and their daughter. And her love for him was as bright as the sunlight outside the building. Jethro had finally shown her a picture that morning of the three of them. Lord, but they had made a beautiful family. And surprise, Shannon was a redhead. Carly wondered to herself if Jet had even realized he had dated only redheaded women as a way of trying to find a woman like Shannon again.


She felt as if there was a band around her chest and something kept tightening the band. Biting her lip hard, she tasted blood and realized she was more bothered by this than she had admitted to herself. When she realized her hands were shaking with her upset, she decided to be useful.


"What all did you get on Private Cook again, Abby?" Carly asked.


"A whole lot of nothing. He was actually one of the few people that don't keep secrets and he didn't need to. There was nothing in his past that could hurt him and nothing in his present that gives any motive for murder."


"What about his parents?" She asked again.


Abby put her Caff-Pow down and stared at her. "His what?"


Signing and saying it at the same time, Carly repeated, "His parents? His family? Was there anything in their background that would give someone a motive to kill him?"


"I can't believe Gibbs didn't think of that." Abby told her, fingers flying over her keyboard. "Or Tony. Or even me. I normally look into everything but with the Feds taking the case over, I didn't go back that far. And of course, Gibbs was preoccupied with you being sick and all. I'm so glad you're back, by the way. It's been so quiet around here without you. I really can't believe…" She stopped in the middle of the sentence and clicked on her mouse to bring the information up on the big screen.


They both read the background and said, "His parents didn't exist before 1980."


They looked at each other and reached for to turn on the video link to call Jet.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Standing in the lab with the Director present, Abby and Carly explained what they found. "Before 1980, Mr. and Mrs. Cook were not around. Not as Mr. and Mrs. Cook anyway."


McGee took over the explanation and told them, "It took some doing, but we found out who they really are. In 1978 Mark Sawyer and his wife Lara witnessed a botched bank robbery become a massacre. The only reason prosecutors think the Sawyer's were spared is because Lara was noticeably pregnant at the time with Private Cook's sister. The Sawyer's saw the robbers, they testified against them in 1979 and were then entered into the Witness Protection Program. Their identities were changed and seven years later, Eric Cook was born."


The Director looked at McGee. "Do I want to know how you found all that out?"


Looking down, McGee decided that not answering her question was the best way to go.


"That's what I thought." Jen said and looked around the room, "Good job guys. We have possible motive but who back then would have known about the WPP and is around today to act on all this?"


Abby clicked a button and brought up the pictures of two of the men involved in the robbery 28 years previously.


"They escaped." Carly spoke up. She was getting tired from her first day back and was glad that Jet was behind her. "FBI put out BOLO's on them in Missouri, but we think they've come after the son as some sort of retribution/payback for the Cooks testifying against them. They could see she was pregnant at the time of the robbery and having spent 28 years in a federal prison, they might be looking to right the wrong they think was done to them."


Nodding, Jethro sent the team to their desks to track down those two men as best they could. When it was just Abby, Carly and Jet in the lab, he leaned down and kissed Carly's lips before walking out, leaving both women in shock that he would kiss her at work.