- Text Size +

Gibbs sent Tony and Ziva to surveil Eric Cook's sister. If the killer was one or both of the robbers, it stood to reason that the sister was in danger as well. On day two of the stake out, Fornell marched into the bull pen and demanded to talk with Gibbs.



"Conference room." Gibbs said and they walked into the elevator. Hitting the switch, Gibbs stared ahead and waited for Fornell to show his hand first. It didn't take long.



"What the hell are thinking pursuing this case? You were ordered off this investigation Jethro."



Without turning, Gibbs said, "You'd do the same thing Tobias if the CIA or NCIS took a case from you. You don't stop when you're ordered to if one of your own is killed."



Fornell looked at Gibbs and grunted. "He was a Marine, yes, but he wasn't one of your's, Jethro. You never served with him, you never met him."



"That's where you're wrong Tobias." Gibbs told him as he started the elevator back up. As the doors opened and he stepped through, he said over his shoulder, "I met him the day he died."



The doors shut on Fornell's shocked expression and McGee looked over puzzled. "How did you meet Eric Cook the day he died, boss?"



With a quick look, Gibbs replied, "I met him the same time Ducky did."



Understanding dawned as McGee watched Gibbs sit down at his desk to go over the evidence one more time.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



"I can't believe he made me go on a stake-out with you."



"Oh, please, I can't be the worst stake-out partner you've ever had."



The comment earned a look and the reply, "If not the worst then certainly close."



Rolling her eyes, Ziva asked, "What makes me such a horrible partner, Tony?"



"I can't believe you don't know how to play Boggle." Tony said.



Exasperated, Ziva explained to him, "Tony, forgive me for not taking the time to learn every American game before coming to work with you. However, in my country when we are sent to surveil someone, we don't waste time playing games."



Tony frowned. "We've been here two days. Nothing is going to happen…" he trailed off watching a man dragging a woman across the lawn in front of them.



Ziva looked at the pictures of the men from the robbery and back up at the man across the street. "This is stupid." She said as they quickly got out of the car. "Why is he grabbing her from the house?"



They ran across the street and yelled, "Freeze, Federal Agents!"



The man stopped still and looked around. By this time, the FBI had also arrived in the yard and the man had several guns aimed at him. Growling in his anger and frustration, he thrust the woman to the ground. The FBI swooped in and arrested him while Tony and Ziva helped Diane Cook to her feet.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



Carly and Abby were stunned that the case had ended so quickly. They shot questions at Jet and Tony left and right.



"Was he stupid?"



"Did he want to get caught?"



"What was he thinking?"



"He killed his partner?"



"Why on earth didn't he just run when he had the chance?"



The two men looked at each other and then at the women whose mouths were moving at the speed of light. Shrugging, they shut them up the only way that would work. They kissed them.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



He answered the door after the first knock. Well considering who was knocking, there really wasn't a beginning and end to the knock, just a steady beating on the door until he opened it. He saw the look on her face and decided to let her tell him what was wrong. It didn't take long.



"I just spent two whole days in a van with Tony."



Smiling, Ducky motioned Ziva inside. "You poor dear. Come in and I'll make us some tea."



Ziva sighed in relief and followed him to the kitchen where she had a lively discussion with his mother while they waited for the tea to be ready.