- Text Size +
Chapter One

Alessandra Lorrenzo woke up early on a hot, Friday morning with a throbbing headache. The thoughts of last night filled her mind. She couldn't believe that her boyfriend Petty Officer Jason Winchester, spent his first night back in the US after his 6 month deployment in Iraq drinking with his buddies. He got home drunk, but she didn't have the nerve to face him. He was a violent drunk. She figured that she would face him in the morning. She looked down at her wrists, which were throbbing in pain. They were bruised. Badly. She figured that Jason had probably done something while she was sleeping. She had to talk to him. Tell him that if he didn't straighten up, he would lose her. He wasn't in bed, so she assumed that he must have passed out in front of the couch. She turned to her left, about to get out of bed and she caught her reflection in the mirror. Her long brown hair wasn't its usual sleekness, it was tangled and wild. Then she noticed dried blood on her neck. She licked her finger to clean it up, but there was no cut underneath. [i]That's odd[/i]. She looked down at her legs. They were covered in bruises. [i] I don't remember them being there[/i], she thought to herself.
As she got up, she noticed a pool of blood that trailed out of the bedroom. Her heart skipped a beat. She slowly followed the trail of blood into the kitchen. Then the blood trail stopped.
She looked around. No Jason. Now she was scared. She didn't know where the blood had come from, or even whose it was. She tried not to worry about it and grabbed herself a glass of milk from the fridge, her hand shaking as she poured it.
As she walked over to the living room, she noticed blood on the door handle. Now her panic mode went into overdrive. She opened the door handle slowly and wandered in. Alessandra dropped her glass on the floor and screamed. She found Jason.

Chapter Two

"Thank God it's Friday, right Probie," a happy Anthony DiNozzo asked Timothy McGee. McGee wasn't listening. He was too busy with whatever he was doing on his computer. Tony got out from behind his desk and slapped McGee on the back of the head.
"Ouch, what was that for?"
"I asked you a question Probie."
"Sorry," said a nervous McGee. "I was just reading an e-mail from Kate. She said she isn't getting in until later today, her flight was delayed". That was what she said, but Tony couldn't help but think that this was partly his doing. She was just putting off coming back for a few hours to avoid seeing him. Kate's sister was sick, so she went over to Miami to see her. But she was mad at him before she left. It all happened one week before she left, she and Tony did something stupid. Really Stupid.

[i] It was Valentines Day, and Kate was alone. This was the first time she had been alone on Valentines Day, ever. If she was single, she would stay with friends or go see family. But because of her job, that was impossible. She got a little drunk and called Tony, asking for him to come around so she wouldn't have to be alone.
"Tony? It's Kate."
"Kate, are you alright? You don't sound too good."
"I really need you to come over; there is something I need to tell you."
"Ok, I'll be at your place in 10 minutes."

When Tony got to Kate's place, he let himself in. He found her in the living room lying on the couch, drunk, watching old romantic comedies. "Hey Kate," he had never seen her like this before, "You don't look so good". Kate stumbled off the couch and made her way towards Tony, never losing eye contact. Even though she was drunk, her eyes sparkled and her smile lit up the room. When she got over to Tony she pushed him against the wall and kissed him. And who was Tony to resist. He had had a crush on Kate for some time, and had often dreamed of doing this.
"I love you Tony," she said between kisses. He knew it was the alcohol talking, but he didn't care. "I need to show you something," she said softly as she dragged him away to the bedroom...
[/i]

Chapter Three

"We have a dead Petty Officer," said Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs. "Officer Jason Winchester was found dead in his home."
"By who boss," asked Tony as he got up to follow Gibbs to the elevator.
"His girlfriend," replied Gibbs as he sipped his coffee.
"You know boss, I read that coffee can..." Tony stopped talking as Gibbs was staring at him.
"Do I look like I care, DiNozzo?"
"No, no you don't boss."

They had never seen a crime scene like this one before. Jason had been skinned, and a message, "Watch your back, Alessandra", scrawled up on the wall in what appeared to be Jason's blood. Almost every room in the house was blocked off, due to the blood trail. Alessandra - who was sitting in the corner of the room, crying and shaking - caught Tony's attention. "Umm, Gibbs, I think it would be a good idea if someone went and interviewed the girlfriend, and-"
"Take her statement, Tony, not her number. You must inform her that she will be moved into another house until we figure out who did this."
"Got it, Boss." Tony made his way over to Alessandra. She was looking out the window, trying to digest what had just happened. "Alessandra Lorrenzo, I presume. I'm Agent Anthony DiNozzo. I just need to ask you a few questions about your boyfriend."
"Ok, but can we please get out of here first?" Tony took Alessandra into her lounge room and sat her down on the couch.
"I know it must be hard, having to talk about this so soon after his death, but all this is crucial to solving the case. Just tell me as much as you can, ok?" Alessandra looked up
"Last night, he came home from Iraq, and he spent it with his friends drinking. He didn't even come home to see me first. He came home drunk, and he is really, really violent when he is drunk, so I went to bed," she slowly explained, holding back tears. "I woke up this morning ready to dump his sorry ass if he didn't straighten up. I guess I won't need to do that anymore. I mean, he was lucky to have me. Most girls my age are out partying, but I stayed home for 6 months while he was away. I can't believe he never said goodbye," Alessandra stuttered.
"I'm so sorry," said Tony, but he actually meant it.
"Thank You." Alessandra gave a bit of a smile. "You know, Agent DiNozzo."
"Call me Tony."
"Sorry. Tony, there is nothing scarier than waking up to a pool of blood at your feet," she said as she choked back tears.
"This may be hard for you to hear, but we are going to have to re-locate you into another house so nothing happens to you. You are now under our protection. You should probably go pack."
"How long will I be there," She questioned him. He could hear the fear in her voice.
"Hopefully no longer than a few weeks."
Alessandra and Tony made their way to her room, so she could get some clothes and her Kenny plushie, that she never went anywhere without. When Alessandra grabbed her plushie, Tony smiled. She let out a small laugh.
"What? A 20 year old girl can't have soft toys," she joked. She grabbed the photo albums and stuffed them into one of 2 bags. She zipped them up and she was ready to go.
"Alessandra. If you have any problems, even at 4 in the morning, call this number and I will come get you straight away," Tony told her.
"Ok, I will" she replied.

Chapter Four

"Good to see you back Katie. How was Miami" Tony asked Kate. She didn't reply. She still hadn't forgiven him. "Come on Kate, you haven't spoken to me in 2 weeks, and I said I was sorry," but Kate still ignored him.
"Hi Gibbs. Hi McGee. I take it we have a new case," Kate could tell that was a stupid question. Gibbs clicked a remote then a profile appeared on the screen.
"Petty Officer Jason Winchester, 25, was found dead in his home at 0600 this morning. He had been skinned and his blood was used to write a message on the wall for his girlfriend." Gibbs clicked the remote again, but this time Kate recognized the face. "Alessandra Lorrenzo, 20. She claimed that she woke up and found him like this. She is a potential target, but also a suspect."
"That, poor girl. She'd never do something like this, and she doesn't deserve all this," Kate explained to Gibbs with a hint of sadness in her voice.
"What, do you know her or something Kate?" Tony asked Kate. She didn't reply. Kate wasn't going to make up with him and pretend like things were well just because they had a case.
"The suspect is staying at a safe house. She isn't to leave or accept calls from anyone, and no-one must know her location or what has happened until we find out who killed Petty Officer Winchester," Gibbs told Kate. "The killer was careful, there was no evidence left at the scene. I need one of you to get me a lead, or else we are all screwed. McGee, get these samples down to Abby for analysis."
"Right. Got it boss," replied McGee

Chapter Five

"Hello McGee. Is it my birthday already?" asked an always happy Abby Sciuto.
"Sorry Abs, not today. We just need to see if the blood from the walls and the floor matches Petty Officer Winchester's blood," said McGee, sounding a little nervous.
"You're no fun McGee. Next time bring me some explosives, or at least a Caf-Pow. What exactly happened to this 'Petty Officer Winchester'," asked an always curious Abby.
"His girlfriend woke up to find him lying on the couch, minus the skin, and a note on the wall that said 'watch your back, Alessandra' in what appeared to be blood," McGee was trying desperately to sound exiting as he said that.
"I take it back. That was interesting" Abby said with a smile. "McGee, do you have any idea what is going on with Tony and Kate?"
"I didn't notice anything there Abs, sorry," Abby could tell he was hiding something.
"They still aren't talking, are they," McGee shook his head. "It would be nice if they could at least tell us why. Maybe Gibbs knows, I'll go ask him"
"I wouldn't do that if I were you Abby" McGee told Abby.
"Do what, McGee," said Gibbs, who chose the perfect moment to walk in,
"I was just deciding what I should wear tomorrow. I suggested I should wear a pink leather cat-suit, but McGee doesn't think so." Abby was always good at covering up.
"For once I agree with McGee. What have ya got Abs" Gibbs questioned Abby.
"I'm sorry Gibbs, but the blood from both samples you gave me matches".

"You know, Mr. Palmer, that the phrase 'watch your back' dates back to ancient times, where when you weren't looking, people would steal the clothes straight off your back. Of course in those days, clothes weren't as secure as they are now. One quick tug and you'd be walking down the street naked," an always talkative Donald "Ducky" Mallard told his assistant, Jimmy Palmer.
"Wow doctor. That really is fascinating! Where do you learn all these facts?"
"Well, when you have been working for as many years as I have, you pick up some interesting information along the way," Ducky told Jimmy as Gibbs walked in.
"You got a time of death yet, Duck?"
"Yes, about 0100 this morning."
"Good work, how about a cause?"
"He suffered a slow and painful death. First, he was beaten and his 2 bottom ribs and both wrists were broken. Then, he was bound and skinned alive. His body was moved after death, and I'm guessing that they put his blood in a bucket to make it easier to write the message, and while moving him into the living room he was dropped, leaving the pool of blood. It would make sense for the blood trail to mysteriously stop as well. Once he died, his heart would stop beating, pumping blood around his body, and therefore he wouldn't bleed anymore."
"Thanks, Duck," said Gibbs as he made his way towards the door.
"You know, this reminds me of a man I met in Tokyo," Gibbs had walked out of the lab.
"I was interested doctor," said Palmer, who was always fascinated by Ducky's stories but could never help thinking he made them up.

Chapter Six

Alessandra got out of the shower and grabbed a pair of silk pajama sweat pants and a white singlet. She was getting ready for bed. There was a rustle in the bushes. She looked behind her and could see a faint, blurry shadow from the other side of the bathroom window, staring straight back at her. Alessandra let out a small scream and went to find a mobile phone. There was someone trying to break in, and they knew she was home. She shoved a chair in front of the door and grabbed Tony's number, a mobile phone and her Kenny doll and hid in the closet. She dialed Tony's number. He was asleep, but he picked up.
"Hello?"
"Tony, someone is trying to break in. He knows I'm here. He saw me."
"I'll be there in 5 minutes. Where are you?"
"I'm in the closet."
"Stay on the phone and whatever you do, don't hang up" Alessandra heard a crash. He was in.
"Tony, he is in. I have to go now."
"No Alessandra wait," but it was too late. She had already hung up.

Alessandra sat in the closet, clutching Kenny tightly and being careful not to make a sound. [i]BANG! [/i] She heard a slam. She was really scared now. The closet door opened and she screamed. She felt a hand cover her mouth.
It was Tony.
Alessandra jumped up and gave him a hug.
"You don't know how happy I am to see you right now."
"I locked him in the lounge room. Now you stay behind me while I go in"
Tony opened the door. The room was empty, and the window was open.

Chapter Seven

"Sorry my house is such a mess. I wasn't expecting company."
"And I wasn't expecting to almost be killed, but it just panned out that way," a still shaky Alessandra told Tony.
"You do know you haven't let go of that doll since you were in the closet, right," he told her. She looked down. She was tightly holding Kenny by his hand.
"I don't want anything to happen to him," Alessandra said with a smile. Even after what she had just been through, she still had time to joke around.
"You can take the bed, I'll have the couch."
"No, I don't want to kick you out of your bed. We can share, I mean, you won't try anything funny, will you," she joked
"Of course not," he smiled back at her "If you stay on your side, I'll stay on mine."

Alessandra was sitting on the bed and staring out the window, with no almost expression on her face, but what could be seen of her emotions wasn't good.

"Are you alright," Tony asked her.
"I'm fine, just a little tired," she said while getting into bed.
"Night Alessandra."
"Actually, Tony, can I ask you something?"
"Sure," he said looking back at her.
"This isn't weird, is it? I mean, so soon after Jason's death."
"Well, we aren't doing anything."
"True," she still had more on her mind. Tony could tell.
"What's wrong? And don't say nothing, because I know it's something"
"I'm scared," she blurted out. "There is someone out there who wants me dead."
"We won't let anything happen to you. You have nothing to worry about."
"Why aren't I dead" Alessandra swallowed tears.
"Don't say that."
"No, I mean it. If someone wanted me dead, then why didn't they kill me last night, when they had the chance, instead of coming back? What do they want with me?"
"Don't worry, everything will be fine. Now get some rest." He rubbed her back to reassure her that everything was fine, even though he was having second thoughts on her safety.