- Text Size +
"Kate, you're not going not like it." Said Abby. They had detached the bomb from the cab safely and it was now lying disabled on Abby's desk. "I think someone's out to get you."
"How?"
"Well they rigged the bomb to a microphone and programmed a clip of your voice into the bomb. The bomb was set to explode at the sound of your voice."
"So why didn't it?" Kate asked, shocked but also confused. They had talked briefly in the cab, why hadn't it blown up?
"Well, this is the ‘would-be-impressive-if-it-wasn't-rigged-to-kill-my-best-friend' thing. There was a pressure sensor in it, it had to sense someone get into the cab first to activate the microphone, then when you spoke, the signal would have to reach the bomb to detonate it. In theory you would be able to talk for a couple of minutes before you were blown to smithereens." Abby said animatedly, but more soberly than usual.
"Why ‘in theory' Abs?" Gibbs asked, entering the lab.
"well, the person who made the bomb had a good idea *but* his practical ability was not so good. He programmed the voice clip in and hooked up the microphone easily, so he was probably good with computers, but, he wired the bomb up wrong. Two of the wires are misplaced. One isn't even connected to anything."
"Do we know who set the bomb?"
"Greg." Replied Kate quietly. "It had to be, he's in the secret service so he knew about different ways to detonate bombs but he wouldn't have known enough to wire one up properly, and he also knew a lot about computers. And besides, he's the only one with that voice clip of me. It was the first message I ever left on his machine."
Kate burst into tears. Abby hugged and tried to console her friend, but she knew Tony could do that better.
"Why don't you go up and see Tony. I'll let you come back down when we get another case in." Abby said as Kate cried on her shoulder.
"Okay." Said Kate, regaining composure, and leaving the lab.
"You think she'll be okay Gibbs?" said Abby, concerned.
"Nope. I think she'll break everything from here to the squad room, or at least put a dent in one side of the elevator." Gibbs said in his own special serious way, the way that you can never tell whether he's joking or deadly serious.