- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony's disappeared - Gibbs is getting worried
Hours earlier:

Rick chuckled. "Just promise me something?"

"Anything – as always."

"Look after him."

"I always do," Gibbs replied, shaking his head lightly.

"No, Jethro – look at me." It was a command, not a suggestion and Gibbs found himself caught once more in that so blue gaze. "Tony is beautiful – inside and out – you and I both know he's had to fight to get where he is today – he may tell you he was born with the silver spoon and all that crap."

"Rick – don't – I know this already." Gibbs raised a hand.

"No – that's the point. You only know what he's chosen to tell you – what's in his personnel file – there is a lot more to Anthony DiNozzo than you could imagine – I need you to," Rick paused. "No, that came out all wrong – all I will say is – be there for him. Be there to listen – be strong for him – he needs you now more than you can ever know. It was fate that brought the two of you together – "

"And I always thought it was Ducky." Gibbs said jokingly, the smile disappearing almost immediately at the look on Rick's face.

"Jethro – I'm being deadly serious," he paused again. "There is no easy way to say this but sometime in the very very near future – you will come very close to losing him – it's imperative you watch his six."

Gibbs slowly got to his feet, approaching the bed carefully.

"And just what in hell is that supposed to mean?" he growled.

"I don't know," Rick shrugged. "I'm just – going with my gut here – not as infamous as yours I know – but trust me on this."

Gibbs stared at him for a moment and then nodded. "I trust you with my life, Rick – you wanna fill me in?"

********

7.30am

Gibbs replayed the conversation from earlier in his head - time and again - and each time, the sense of foreboding became stronger - more enveloping. Watch DiNozzo's six? How in hell was he supposed to that now? Tony was no longer in the building - he was no longer close by - out of reach by cell or radio - in the hands of some presumed psycho who - apparently - was a sandwich short of a picnic.

He lifted his head wearily and gazed out over the rooftops of Washington, a hand scuffing over his face as his stomach knotted in trepidation. He was standing in the roof top garden - surrounded by large terracotta pots filled with a myriad colourful blooms set out in a symmetrical diamond pattern on dark wood decking. To his left, a large barbecue area set on a tiled floor and to the right - a long picnic table and three benches either side, matching the dark colour of the decking, that could easily have seated at least twenty guests.

But right now - he was alone - and being alone in this situation didn't sit easily with him. He felt helpless - he felt vulnerable and, for the first time in a long time, he slowly realised he had no control. It would have been easy enough - back at the Navy Yard - he'd have nailed Taylor within an hour, safe in the knowledge that Tony and Rick would be snatched back - hopefully without a shot being fired - and Taylor would be soon be on his way to an appointment with the local penitentiary - for life. As it was - he had no idea where Tony was - he had no idea what Taylor was capable of - and he had no way of knowing if either man was actually still alive.

He knew one of them, at least, had been taken out with a dart - possibly the two of them - not that he'd have heard any shots if guns had been used. Tony would have fought back and Gibbs could only guess at what means had been employed to subdue the younger man quickly and efficiently - and above all silently.

Dammit to freaking hell! He cursed under his breath, staring up into the sky as though an answer would drop from the heavens and end the turmoil of emotions coursing through him right now. He's lost Tony on assignments before - but on those occasions, he could keep his mind occupied with sourcing leads - demanding answers from his team - leaving no stone unturned - he drew strength from his fellow agents - knowing they would not rest until the case was solved and Tony was back with them - whatever state he might have been in.

The lack of action from Alex was frustrating to say the least. He didn't seem perturbed at this turn of events - and that bugged Gibbs. Okay - his brother was missing - but Alex was either a damned good actor or he was waiting for the counsel of his other brother Nicky - then again - it could be that was just Alex's way. That thought did not sit well with Gibbs - if Taylor was nuts - as all three triplets seemed agreed on - and Taylor was a loose cannon - capable of doing unspeakable things - he was in charge of security for crying out loud - and how secure do you have to be to make it so damn easy for a brother and a lover to be snatched in broad daylight?

He made his way across the decking, down three steps and stopped at the waist high wall around the edge of the roof. Leaning forward, he lowered his head again - shutting his eyes against the images playing in his mind - instead concentrating - one more time - on Rick's words as they had waited for Tony to wake up.

"How the fuck could Rick get it wrong?" he asked himself, linking his fingers together and squeezing hard. "Did he get it wrong? Maybe I misheard - but he did say Tony's safety would be down to me - not him." Raising his head again, he pulled in a deep breath, thudding his fist onto the top of the wall. "Damn it all to hell!" he cursed under his breath. "But - " he pinched the bridge of his nose between thumb and forefinger in a vain attempt to banish the tiredness he felt. "Why the hell didn't you ask Rick any more? You knew he knew something yet you chose not to - " He pressed the flat of his hands onto the concrete wall and leaned heavily on them. "Rick had given you a warning, Gibbs - " he muttered, shaking his head slowly. "But you thought it more important to concentrate on Tony - you ignored what was tantamount to a veiled threat against the most important thing in your life - the one man that means more to me than - if I lose him," he paused, blinking back tears as the sky line before him began to blur, brushing tears from his cheeks almost angrily. "If I lose him - I don't think I'll - "

Suddenly, he was aware of someone behind him but he remained where he was - not wanting Alex to see him like this. He leaned his forearms onto the wall and looked away to the left as Alex stepped up to his right. Insinuating an arm between Gibbs's two, Alex smiled softly as Gibbs allowed him to link fingers with his - squeezing gently.

"Nothing is going to happen to Tony, Jethro. He will be fine - I promise." Alex sounded reassuring but Gibbs wasn't convinced. "Nicky should be here shortly, he and I will work something out - you need to rest."

"Ya think?" Gibbs snorted almost derisively. "I want answers - I want Tony back - I want him in one piece - and it strikes me that you're being particularly evasive when it comes to telling me where this scumbag cousin of yours is!"

Gibbs snatched his hand away, stalking back up the steps and across the decking to the main doors.

"Jethro!" Alex called after him, wincing as he heard the door slam to. "Damn it!" He trotted after the older man, pushing open the door to find Gibbs with his cell pressed to his ear, pacing up and down at the top of the stairs.

"Abs - no! I need you here now - hold on." He covered the cell with his hand, his eyes snapping to Alex. "What kinda doowacka computer system d'you have here?"

"Just the normal kind - why?"

Gibbs ignored him, speaking into the cell once again. "No Abs - this is strictly off the record - I need you here." He paused again, his cheeks flushing slightly. "Down girl," he admonished. "No one is to know what's going on." Another pause. "No, not even McGee - how soon can you get here? And bring the wireless doodah whatsit with you - laptop - schmaptop - whatever!" Snapping the phone shut and shoving it into his pocket, he closed the space between himself and Alex, staring into those blue eyes for what seemed like an eternity. "As of now, I'm taking control of this situation, Alex. Any information leading to my wrapping my hands around the throat of the shit who's snatched Tony would be helpful - but then, I don't think a lot of information is going to be forthcoming - is it?"

"Jethro - listen to yourself," Alex began. "I can't tell you anything because I don't know anything - anything concrete that is. Taylor could be anywhere out there - he has a dozen safe houses - he has a small army of very large, very violent men at his beck and call," Alex closed his mouth, tilting his head quizzically. "Why's Abi on her way over?"

"Because I need her, here - anything else on your mind?" Gibbs snapped back.

"Hey," Alex caught his arm as he turned to make his way back downstairs. "Enough!!"

"Not yet," Gibbs retorted, pulling his arm free. He spun round and paced back towards the other man until he was nose to nose. "Here's how I see it - word gets out that an NCIS agent has been kidnapped along with the major Dom in Washington - from this club - questions are going to be asked, Alex. Questions I really don't want to answer - there is just too much at stake - for you - and myself and Tony. I am not ordering you - I'm not demanding anything of you - but I do need your help to bring this bastard in - it needs to be done quietly and I can't do this alone."

"So you're only interested in saving your own skin?" Alex replied curtly, folding his arms.

"Yeah," Gibbs nodded. "My skin, your brother's skin, Tony's - and this club. You've said it enough times in the past, Alex. There are too many reputations that could be shattered if word of this - problem - gets out."

"Then we'd best hope to fuck Taylor doesn't find out Tony's a Fed - "

"If he does?"

"If he does - god alone knows what will happen," Alex closed his eyes briefly, stifling a yawn behind his hand.

Gibbs took Alex by the arm, leading him back out onto the roof and waited until he was seated at the picnic table before sitting himself. "Rick knew something was going to happen," he began.

"I know," Alex nodded. "But none of us had any idea exactly what."

"No - I mean - he warned me last night. He told me to watch Tony's back - that he'd need me to be there for him - that he would need me more than ever," Gibbs' tone faded to a whisper as he pinched the bridge of his nose again. "Rick told me - he said I would come very close to losing him."

"And Rick misread the warning - and didn't realise it wasn't you - but himself." Alex lowered his head into his hands, yawning loudly. "Why didn't you tell me this earlier?"

"You just said Rick told you."

"Only the bare bones, Jethro. He doesn't share - everything - with us." Fucking liar! Alex berated himself - he was already holding out on Gibbs wasn't he - and just as well for the moment - he sure as hell wasn't ready to tell him what Rick had shared - and Gibbs sure as hell wasn't ready to hear it.

TBC ….