- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
And things are moving!!
At the very moment Nicky felt the sting of the dart in his arm - Rick let out a sharp cry and pressed both hands against the top of the seat in front of him - slamming his eyes shut against the sudden shooting pain in his head.

"Rick?" Abi reached out and clasped the back of his left hand. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing - he lied. "Nothing - just a headache."

"More than nothing, Rick - " Gibbs stated as he took another corner but keeping his eyes on the rear view mirror and on Rick. "What's happened?"

"Stop the car!" Rick demanded. "Now!"

"We're nearly there!" Gibbs objected.

"Now! Godammit!" The brakes slammed the car to an immediate halt and Rick clambered out - bending at the waist, both hands on his knees.

Gibbs was out of the car with him - closely followed by a very concerned Ducky - Gibbs squatted down before Rick and peered up into his face. "Rick - I can't help you if you don't tell me what's wrong."

"Give me a second," Rick gasped as another pulse of agony pummelled his skull. "Something's happened - something's not right - this isn't right."

"What's happened?" Gibbs repeated. "Rick - "

Rick straightened up - the expression on his face shook both Ducky and Gibbs to the core - it was sheer gut churning sadness.

"Rick?" Gibbs snapped - nearly stamping his foot in frustration. "What in hell is going on?"

"Nicky," Rick breathed - staring off into the distance over Gibbs's left shoulder.

"What about Nicky?" Ducky coaxed gently - a hand on Rick's arm.

"I don't know - " Rick shook his head, glancing at Ducky and then Gibbs. "How in hell did he manage to get past my - I've been blocking them both for months almost and yet he managed to penetrate my defences."

"He's an empath," Gibbs offered by way of explanation to Ducky's questioning expression. "The three of them can - you know - telepath each other or something like that."

"Indeed?" Ducky sounded impressed. "I knew of your healing abilities, dear boy but I had no idea - "

"Duck?"

"Mm?"

"Not just now - get back in the car - give him some space - I'll deal with this," Gibbs said gently, jerking his chin towards the vehicle and then he winked. "It'll be okay - really."

"Of course, Jethro - of course."

Gibbs guided Rick some distance away and faced him. "What happened?"

Rick pulled in a deep breath and let it out slowly. "All I can tell you is that Nicky called for help - something about a double-cross - not to trust him - and then nothing."

"You think he's dead?"

"No!" Rick's eyes went wide in horror. "No - if he was - I'd know about it - no - he's in trouble - I'm guessing unconscious."

"Rick - he left with Alex - did you get anything from him?"

"Alex? Why?"

Gibbs's shoulders slumped and he lowered his head briefly before lifting it again and studying the handsome face for a moment. "Because - I believe Alex is the one responsible for you getting snatched yesterday - I think he and Taylor are working together to bring you down."

"No!" Rick snickered in disbelief. "No, no way Jethro - Alex? Why would Alex do that to me - to us?

"I'll remember to ask him that when we catch him."

"You're not serious are you?" Rick shook his head.

"Never been more serious Rick - I'm sorry I'm the one who had to tell you - "

"I don't understand," Rick began.

"No, not yet you don't - but I will get answers and when I get my hands on Taylor - it won't be so much TDI - as mild GBH - maybe with a gunshot wound thrown in."

"Oh hell!" Rick said suddenly. "If Nicky's with Alex - then Alex just - "

"Yeah - maybe Nicky got a little troublesome. Look - " Gibbs rested both hands on Rick's shoulders. "Can you do something for me?"

"Name it!"

"I need to know if you can sense Alex?"

"Not right now - my head's all screwed up - "

"Sure," Gibbs nodded understanding. "But I'm sure Abi'll be able to find him."

"Cell phone?"

"Cell phone - call him - but keep it light - don't let him know you know." He handed his cell over and watched as Rick tapped in the numbers with a shaking hand. "You're doing great - but hang on and let Abs get on the computer." Gibbs left Rick alone briefly and returned quickly with a nod "Might be an idea to disable caller ID," Rick did so and tapped in the numbers again - holding the cell to his ear. "Speaker?" Rick nodded and held the phone chest height and slightly to the left to let Gibbs see the numbers and they waited patiently.

"What!" Alex's voice came over loud and clear. Gibbs turned swiftly to see Abs give the thumbs up.

"Bro - it's Rick - what's your ETA?"

"Why? You in a rush or something?"

"No - but we need to be ready for Taylor."

"Get off the damned line Rick - I'm waiting on Matt to get back to me - you okay?"

"Sure - fine - Nicky with you?"

"Yeah - we should be with you in about a half hour - keep this line clear - laters!"

The phone went dead.

"Got him!" Abi called over. "He's over at North West Vine Street - and he's stationary."

"Keep on him Abs - what's over that way?" Gibbs said as he took his seat behind the wheel.

"Industrial - storage warehouses - a couple of factories - " Tony offered.

"Here's the plan," Gibbs said as he gunned the car into first and pulled away from the kerb. "We are heading to the club - but we're going to swing by and pick up Alex and Nick - and I've a feeling Alex won't want to join us - but - "

"You can be very persuasive, Boss." Tony grinned.

"Especially when I'm as pissed off as I am now!"

*******

Alex frowned as a car pulled up opposite his in the large deserted car park, high fences around the perimeter cut off any view from the street - the dilapidated buildings around him offered a lot of cover for snipers and his eyes automatically swept around the rooves as he alighted from the car - closing the door quietly as Taylor emerged from his vehicle. Alex tossed his mobile from his hand back into the car - noting it landed in Nicky's lap.

"How did it go?" Taylor called as he approached.

"You came alone - at least you kept that side of the bargain. It's gone belly up - how do you think?" Alex replied sullenly. "Your great plan of taking out Rick didn't happen - Gibbs shot your two guys."

"No matter - recompense will be extracted from this Gibbs bastard - besides, you'll take me to Rick and his bit of fluff - and I'll deal with them then. And Nicky?" Taylor bent to peer in the driver side window at the still unconscious man in the passenger seat.

"A non equation - "

"Really?" Taylor smiled evilly - raising an eyebrow. "Got a taste for being on the opposite side of the law finally - I knew you had it in you Alex - all these years and I knew one of you would see sense and turn. It would have been nice if it had been Rick - you know - Captain Sensible - Mr Nice Guy - but - you'll do nicely."

"I'm only wanting what's owed to me - and I'm out of town - gone - and you won't hear from me again, Taylor." Alex watched his cousin pace up and down and leaned lazily against the car door - arms folded. "See - I've had a lot of time to think - about - you know - stuff - and although I do find I enjoyed what I've done - I think now is the time to get out while I can."

"Afraid of prison, Alex?"

"No - but you know how I feel about taking orders."

"I don't know - " Taylor taunted. "Pretty boy like you - you'd have them queuing up to play with you - imagine - you are looking at least thirty five years right now - and just think of the pounding your ass will get every hour - every day - every month."

"Skip the dramatic crap, Taylor. You're expected at Heaven's Gate - so why don't we crack on and get there - I imagine you have great plans for the place."

"Oh," Taylor spun round and grinned. "I do - have - such great plans - but first I want to see Ricky - little Ricky - on his knees before me with the barrel of my gun in his mouth just before I blow his head off and hang it as a trophy over the bar."

"Yeah - " Alex yawned. "That's about your level."

"But I am disappointed to learn you don't want to stay around, Alex - but you've obviously made your decision." Taylor looked almost heartbroken. "But - once I've dealt with all the loose ends - you know - Rick and the rest - maybe we can just chill out over a few beers and I'll try and persuade you otherwise."

"Persuade away - Taylor," Alex shrugged. "It won't work - mind's already made up."

"But - we waste time - I have a club to claim - "

The two men walked to Taylor's car - leaving Nicky alone - still asleep. "And Nick?"

"What about him?" Taylor glanced at Alex as he turned the key in the ignition.

"We can't just leave him here, can we?"

"Is he dead?"

"No."

"Then he'll wake up at some point - wonder what in hell happened - and he'll flag someone down."

"Yeah," Alex snickered as he buckled himself in. "Guess you're right."

******

Just moments later - as Taylor's car sped out of sight around a bend - Gibbs's rolled down the road from the other end.

"We're on top of him - he's here somewhere," Abi purred. "Come out come out wherever you are - Alex."

"How close?" Tony peered out of the window, pushing his shades up his nose.

"He's within fifty feet - somewhere directly east of here - I mean somewhere on our left - keep going Gibbs - keep going - "

"Want us to get out and start looking?" Tony pulled his head back inside and glanced at the computer screen. "No need - he's behind this fence!"

The car emptied in record time.

"We got a car and Nicky," Tony shouted as the others hurried to join him. "He's out cold but I think he's okay," he said as he checked for a pulse and lifted one eyelid.

"Duck - check him over." Gibbs patted Ducky on the back as the older man scooted around the trunk of the car.

"Anything else?" Gibbs asked as Tony straightened, Alex's cell in his hand. "Damn!"

"He met with Taylor?"

"Must have," Gibbs scanned the area and cursed under his breath. "Duck - can you drive Nicky behind us back to Heaven's Gate?"

"I was just about to suggest such a course of action, Jethro - and I am reminded of the time - " He settled himself behind the wheel and looked out to find an empty parking lot. "Mm, well - Nicholas, my boy - looks like it's you and me for the foreseeable future - you just relax while I tell you the tale of when I pushed a French policeman off a cliff - though I might add - there was a lake below - "

The engine purred to life and Ducky drove carefully from the yard to find Gibbs waiting for him - somewhat surprised to see Gibbs now getting into the passenger seat and Tony into the driving seat.

"That's a relief," he murmured. "Following Gibbs the way he drives - just doesn't bear thinking about."


TBC
Chapter End Notes:
And things are moving along nicely!!