- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The team get ready
"Jethro," Tony said as he fished his cell out of a pocket and tossed it across to the older man sitting beside him. "Call Duck - warn him I'll be making some tricky moves."

"Why?"

Tony rolled his eyes and smiled gently. "Because I don't want him getting motion sickness with all the twists and turns we'll be making to get back to the club."

"Again - why?"

"Because if Taylor takes the regular route from here - he's going to get snarled up in traffic - it's five pm - I know how get around the city and I can shave at least ten or fifteen minutes off our route."

"I knew there was a reason I kept you around," Gibbs chuckled. "Do it."

With Ducky duly forewarned, the journey took almost no time at all - except they lost Ducky twice at a junction and then a tunnel - but as Tony braked behind Heaven's Gate - Ducky rolled his vehicle to a stop beside him and climbed out - looking a little concerned.

"Duck?" Gibbs asked glancing across the roof of the car. "Problem?"

"No - no problem - it's just Nicky's really not looking too good and I can't get him out of the car on my own - he's just too heavy."

"I got him," Rick said, handing the keys to the back door to Abi. "Done it before and will probably do it again." He hurried over and soon had Nicky in his arms, his brother's head resting on his shoulder as he crossed the car park to follow Tony then Gibbs inside.

"Get him into the office and let Ducky check him over - Abs - get some coffee brewing," Gibbs instantly taking charge. "Tony - I need Matt and the boys in here asap - and find out if upstairs has been cleared yet."

"On it Boss." Tony disappeared out of the kitchen - pausing to grab an apple on the way and biting into it with relish.

"Abs - " Gibbs called her closer with a finger. "This is going to get nasty - potentially," he said softly, resting his hands on her shoulders and looking into her eyes. "And I know you want revenge for what happened to Tony - "

"I'm not going anywhere, Gibbs," she gazed up at him challengingly. "Like Duckman said: we've come this far."

"Yeah - " he smiled back at her. "I knew that - just needed to sure - but the minute I tell you to duck - I tell you to leave - you - "

"Do as I'm told and just keep the coffee coming - which reminds me - is that a Caf Pow machine I spy over there?" Her own smile broadened as she approached and the squeal of delight when she discovered the machine was full had Gibbs sniggering to himself as he followed Tony into the club proper.

"Well?" He found Tony leaning on the desk in the foyer sharing a joke with Matt and Pete.

"No one's heard from Alex, Nicky or Rick - they were put on standby about Taylor, Boss - but nothing from any of them." Tony took a final bite of his apple - tossing it into a nearby trash bin.

"So - "

"Matt and Pete take the floors above - I'll check the rooms down here - "

"Take Abs with you - this place is a warren." Gibbs ordered, clapping a hand on Tony's back. "And be careful."

"Aren't I always?" Tony threw him a cheeky grin.

"Do I really have to answer that?"

"Laters." Tony paced to the kitchen door - holding it open as he called for Abi. She joined him with an excited look on her pretty face.

"Do I get a Sig too?" she asked, eyeing Tony's own gun lustfully.

"Not until you've passed your proficiency test, Abs - now get going - the two of you." Turning to the two men behind the desk, he looked from one to the other. "Which one's which?"

"I'm Matt, he's Pete."

"And it's just you two?"

"No - Simon's on corridor watch - you want me to bring him down?" Matt made to reach for his radio.

"Many guests stay over?"

"Most have gone - " Pete lifted a large clipboard from a drawer - handing it to Gibbs. "Looks like Rooms 101 and 107 are the only ones left - 107 should have been gone at least an hour ago - they're heading to Rome on vacation."

"And 101?"

"Is probably going to bust a blood vessel when we bring her out - she does not like to be disturbed." Matt flashed a nervous grin at Gibbs. "If you like - you can have the pleasure."

"Sure - I've gone through three wives, guys. Intimidation? I invented the word."

"Good luck, Jethro!" Pete called after him as he walked to the elevator.

"Won't need it!" Gibbs called back. "We got a name for 101?"

"Inara!"

"Oh hell!" he murmured. The tiny blond lady he'd introduced to Tony at the beginning of the night, of all the women in the world - the one he would never dare piss off - the one woman who could bring him to his knees with just a look - the one who - stop it Jethro - she'll throw a tantrum and probably a vase or three - nothing to be scared of - until the next time she's the one in control over you - oh yeah!

*****

Ducky finished his exam of Nicky who, by this time, was awake - slightly disorientated - but none the worse for his ordeal - but strangely mute. He regarded Ducky carefully - tracking him with his eyes as he sat up on the couch to lean forward head in hands.

"I should think a good night's sleep and tomorrow you'll be back to your old self." Ducky said - repacking his medical bag. "Although - I don't understand why you won't tell me what happened."

"Nothing to tell, Duck - " Nicky slowly got to his feet. "Nothing to tell - really."

"Alex darts you and leaves you in a car in an unused car lot? Why would he do that?"

"You'll have to ask him - where's Rick?" Nicky walked to the door and threw it open - nodding to Matt briefly. "Rick?"

Matt pointed above his head. "With Jethro - Tony and Abi are checking out this floor."

"Checking? Checking for what?"

"Just being careful, Nicky." Ducky said from behind him. "Aha - do I smell coffee?"

Nicky stood to one side as the ME made his way across the hall to the bar and into the kitchen. "Being careful about what Matt? What's going on?"

"Taylor's on his way here," Tony offered as he rounded the corner. "You're up finally - what's the deal with Alex?"

"Why is everyone suddenly concerned about Alex?" Nicky breathed. "Who gives a fuck about Alex - where's Jethro? Yeah - I remember - upstairs." He strode quickly to the elevator and hit the button - pacing up and down as he waited.

"Who threw him nuts?" Abi asked as she joined Tony - waving briefly at Pete who was smiling warmly at her.

Suddenly, there was a commotion at the elevator doors. They whisked open to reveal a very tiny - very very pissed off Inara being held over Rick's shoulder - her fists pounding his back as he stepped out and bent to set her on the ground - the air turning a vibrant shade of blue as she continued to curse men in general.

"Matty - cab for Inara - and for the tenth time this week - don't let her sneak back in here when she's been run home!"

"Sorry Boss."

"Just do it - chain her to a damn chair if you have to," Rick pressed a hand to her back and guided her towards the desk - thankful she wasn't going to create a further scene - her attention now fixed on Pete - elevator eyes roving his body to rest at his crotch.

"You two - conference room - now." Gibbs stepped back inside the elevator - Rick one side and Nicky the other. As the elevator lifted towards the first floor - he hit the stop button and the lights went down a third.

"What?" Nicky groused, leaning against the wall and folding his arms - strangely - looking everywhere but at Rick.

"What happened, Nick?" Rick pressed.

"When?"

"You said something about a double cross - don't trust him - which we now know means Alex - want to enlighten us?"

"It's all right, Rick - " Gibbs smiled wanly. "Don't know about you - but I've got all the time in the world - and if you have a broom cupboard and a copy of the Yellow Pages - I'm sure I could get Nick to tell me exactly what's been going on."

"But we know most of it, Jethro. Alex obviously has some plan that doesn't include me - although if it includes Nick - we've yet to find that out. But Alex is in with Taylor and knowing Taylor - it'll be money orientated - "

"Good points," Gibbs nodded appreciatively.

"I think - " Rick rested a hand on the cool metal above the control panel and regarded Nicky almost sadly. "See - I'm thinking I was forced to sign everything over to Taylor - and he and Alex were taking a share each - now - the question is - "

"Let me guess," Gibbs held up a hand. "We've got a dilemma here - because Nicky hasn't denied he might also be involved and he also hasn't said he is - so - "

"We could stay in here until Nicky does tell us one way or the other - " Rick shrugged.

"Or - we go with the fact he might be guilty as hell - but then - what I would really like to know right now is why Alex and Taylor - or is it Alex who thought up the idea and took it to Taylor - or did all three come up with it - whatever the case might be - what the fuck did you do in a past life to piss three guys off so badly, they'd see you on the street and destitute?"

"It wasn't like that!" Nicky spat. "Nothing like that!"

"Oh - now there's the nerve I was poking around for - " Gibbs threw a quick knowing look at Rick - as the cell in his pocket began to vibrate. He lifted it free and pressed it to his ear, listening for a few seconds before snapping it shut.

"He's here - just pulled up outside."

"Better late than never," Rick sighed as he flipped the switch and hit the button. "Let's bring it."

"Just make sure Ducky and Abs are safe," Gibbs hissed.

"Sure thing." Rick replied as the elevator doors slid open. Matt looked to the three men as they exited - and at a nod from the Uber Dom - he unlocked the main door.

TBC