- Text Size +
The elevator doors closed with an almost silent swoosh â€" Gibbs to one side of the car facing the doors and Tony to the other side, leaning against the wall with a soft smile as he drank in Gibbs’s profile.

“What?” Gibbs asked after a few more seconds.

“Mm?” Tony rested both his hands at hip height on the safety bar that ran around three walls, licking his lips slowly.

“Do I have a zit or something?”

“No,” Tony mused with a snicker. “I was just thinking about all the other uses we’ve found for elevator cars recently â€" quiet, private and â€" above all â€" discreet.”

“You?” Gibbs echoed glancing at him quickly. “Discreet?”

“I can be if I try â€" “ Tony countered. “Besides â€" I don’t think I’d be hearing any complaints if I jumped you right now.”

“No,” Gibbs agreed with a nod. “You wouldn’t â€" but we don’t have time â€" we have â€" “

“Yeah, so you keep saying â€" a ton of shit to sort out but what’s a couple of minutes? Huh?” Tony pushed himself off the wall and hit the stop button â€" his eyes never leaving Gibbs’s gaze as the lights went down by a third and the car slid to a halt.

“Tony â€" “ Gibbs warned, stepping back a pace. “Not now.”

“Yes, now.” Tony whispered â€" ending with his customary “rrowwrr”.

“No â€" we don’t have â€" “ Gibbs stood no chance â€" Tony captured his hands lifting them from his sides to above his head where he held them in a steel grasp as their lips met â€" tongues warring briefly before Gibbs broke off breathlessly. “We don’t â€" “

“Oh shut the hell up,” Tony breathed in his ear. “We make time â€" five minutes â€" is that too much to ask?”

“Who are you telling to shut up?” Gibbs chuckled as Tony began lapping his neck â€" nipping his earlobe just a little too hard. “Who’s the Dom here?”

“You â€" “ Tony whispered in his ear before capturing his mouth once more â€" plundering it eagerly. “And anyway â€" “ he paused. “For all you know â€" I could be doing this so I get a punishment later â€" “

“Oh â€" “ Gibbs hissed as he let his hands drop to his sides as Tony continued his assault on his throat and neck. “You are going to be punished, DiNozzo â€" severely.”

“Is that a promise?” Tony teased â€" his eyes shining.

“Uh-huh.”

“I’m holding you to that â€" “

“I’m sure you are â€" “

A few minutes later â€" the elevator finally reached its destination â€" the lobby - and the two men stepped out â€" Gibbs tugging his shirt straight and Tony pushing his fingers lightly through his hair â€" pausing to look into a nearby wall mirror to double check he was presentable.

“Thanks to you â€" “ Gibbs whispered as they approached Rick’s office. “I’m tenting.”

“Elevator’s still free for a repeat performance,” Tony leered at him.

“And it stays free â€" get your ass moving and go check on Melinda for me â€" if she’s still baying for blood â€" tell I’ll be with her in a couple of minutes.” Gibbs stabbed a finger towards the bar area as he knocked on Rick’s door.

“Sure â€" then what?”

“Check with Ducky how Taylor’s doing â€" apparently â€" he’s not too bright right now.”

“On it,” Tony nodded and trotted off towards the bar.

A muffled “come in” and Gibbs shoved open the door and stepped over the threshold. “Hey,” Rick said getting to his feet and rounding the desk â€" indicating the sofa. “Tony okay?” He walked to the small bar in the far wall and held up a bottle of bourbon â€" and Gibbs nodded.

“More than okay,” Gibbs affirmed. “What’s this about you not wanting to open tonight after all?” He took the glass from Rick and watched as he sat down at the other end of the sofa â€" one arm across the back and the other resting on the arm.

“How can I?” Rick then spread his hands and blew out a sharp breath. “Too much shit’s hit the fan â€" and if things continue the way they’re going â€" no sooner will punters be in the door than they’ll be leaving just as quickly.”

“Nonsense â€" I thought we’d agreed â€" only the high flyers won’t be in â€" they’re pre-warned â€" the ordinary patrons can make up their own minds â€" but it’s up to you and me to make sure they don’t notice anything’s hinky.” Gibbs shrugged. “You closing up is just what Taylor wants â€" “

“Yeah â€" but â€" “

“No buts Rick â€" you open in a half hour â€" okay â€" so say you close an hour early â€" you’ve got extra security in â€" and a few extras on hand.”

“Extras?” Rick’s brow furrowed.

“As in me, Tony, Ducky, Abs â€" extra eyes around the place and ears too â€" anything bad that might go down â€" we’re on it and nip it in the bud.”

“You make it sound like world war three might erupt.” Rick drained his own glass â€" rolling it between the palms of his hands.

“Not world war three,” Gibbs grinned quickly. “Maybe a small grenade might go “poof” â€" that’s all â€" if anything.”

“Wish I had your confidence,” Rick mused â€" stretching his neck from side to side. “Which reminds me â€" did you see Nicky on your way in here?”

“Nope â€" how’s he doing?”

“He’s emptied the contents of his stomach almost all over the place â€" he was last seen staggering into the men’s bathroom â€" “

“Can’t you â€" you know â€" “ Gibbs began as Rick got to his feet to collect up the bourbon bottle and then returned to his seat â€" pouring himself two fingers worth. “Do whatever it is to â€" get rid of his hangover?”

“I can’t hold him down for long enough â€" it’s been tough on all of us â€" all this crap â€" and when Nicky’s pissed he thinks the whole damned world is against him â€" he won’t listen to reason.” Rick drained his glass again. “And that’s enough booze for me â€" anymore â€" and I won’t be able to think straight â€" “ He offered the bottle to Gibbs who shook his head, a hand over the top of his glass.

“Then you have to make him listen â€" want me to fetch him?”

“Nah â€" you’ll only come off worse, Jethro â€" “

“I’m a Marine, Rick â€" I can handle Nicky â€" pissed or sober â€" “

“Well,” Rick frowned, staring at the floor briefly. “I guess â€" if you could hold him still for me â€" I only need a minute or two â€" “ He recapped the bourbon and placed it on the low coffee table beside him.

“And I need to question him too â€" I need to establish exactly what his part was in all this.”

“I think you’ll find Alex was behind it â€" “ Rick began.

“Alex, Alex, Alex â€" “ Gibbs shook his head slowly. “I’ve known the three of you for â€" how long now â€" and to look at you â€" all three â€" I would never have believed that even one of you was capable of what Alex has achieved.”

“Yeah,” Rick sighed. “Blame Taylor â€" he started it.”

“Blame Taylor?” Gibbs snickered. “All Alex â€" and Nicky for that matter - had to do was tell him to go to hell â€" and they didn’t â€" they had the chance to back out â€" and didn’t take it, Rick. They knew exactly what they were doing â€" “

“I can’t believe I was so blind to it all,” Rick pushed a hand through his hair â€" pulling it into a ponytail at the nape of his neck before shaking it loose again over his shoulders.

“If it hadn’t been you, it would have been someone else,” Gibbs pointed out. “Their kind always find what they’re looking for â€" and unfortunately â€" this time â€" it was your turn.”

“Yeah â€" yeah I guess so,” Rick agreed. “Look â€" enough of this â€" I’ll open up â€" you find Nicky for me â€" and then â€" “

“Nicky, it is.” Gibbs got to his feet. “And then?”

“No idea â€" “ Rick scuffed a hand over his face.

“I’ll need to use your phone?”

“Sure â€" help yourself â€" “

“Thanks â€" later.”

*****

“Tony!” Abi squealed as she spotted him leaving the bar and crossing the lobby. She launched herself at him â€" legs around his waist and arms around his neck. “You’re okay! I was so worried! I thought I’d gone over the top! But you’re okay â€" you are okay aren’t you?”

He lowered her gently to the ground and grinned. “I’m fine, Abs â€" honestly.”

“You’re absolutely sure? I mean you’re not feeling hinky or anything?”

“If I was feeling hinky â€" you’d be the first to know â€" where’s Duckman?” He took her hand as she tugged him after her. “Okay â€" okay â€" Abs â€" I’m right behind you!”

“Tony! You missed so much!” She pulled him after her through the doors to the Rumpus Room and across the floor to where Ducky was examining a still unconscious but handcuffed Taylor lying on a table â€" a table with strappings and chains dangling from the edges.

“Why’s he still loose?” Tony asked as Ducky flashed him a welcoming smile.

“He hasn’t moved for a half hour,” Ducky explained. “But I must say, Anthony, you are looking remarkably refreshed â€" and it’s good to see that wicked glint back in your eye too â€" you’ve been asleep for the best part of an afternoon and most of the evening â€" Abigail told me you hadn’t been feeling too well.”

Tony glared down at the young woman â€" only to be met with a naught smirk which had him nearly laughing out loud.

“Not too well,” Tony nodded sagely. “No â€" I guess the past couple of days just caught up with me â€" but yeah â€" I’m feeling great now.”

“And looking so good too,” Abi reached around and pinched his butt â€" making him squeak in alarm as he jumped.

“Mm?” Ducky said absently. “Well â€" there isn’t a lot more I can do for this young man â€" he’ll just have to sleep it off â€" although I do wish Jethro hadn’t allowed Melinda to film him â€" “ he straightened up and approached another table upon which â€" this time strapped â€" Alex was struggling to free himself. “Or this one â€" I just hope their bleeping machine in the editing suite is up to scratch â€" the language â€" some of the words were lost on me and I don’t pretend I’m a saint when it comes to swearing and cursing â€" it reminds me of the time when I was batting for my school house â€" old Jenkinson â€" the Biology Master â€" was standing on the â€" “ He glanced up only to find Tony and Abi gone - the Rumpus Room doors swinging slightly - he hooked a nearby chair closer with his foot and sat down â€" near Alex’s head. “Now you’ll enjoy this one â€" anyway â€" Jenkinson â€" a bit of an old sergeant major type â€" “

Alex â€" gagged once again â€" could do nothing to escape and â€" instead - let out a roar of frustration â€" which only seemed to encourage Ducky all the more.

*******

Tony re-emerged from the Rumpus Room in time to see Gibbs striding purposefully across the lobby to the bar as he made his way towards the kitchen door â€" a hot mug of hazelnut coffee on his mind.

He shoved open the door and looked about the place briefly before approaching the machine on the opposite wall. He took the largest mug he could find and set it beneath the nozzle and hit the button â€" collecting up a large sugar pourer and liberally tipping it three times before he was satisfied it was perfect. He then stirred it quickly and lifted the mug to his mouth â€" blowing across the steaming brew before taking a sip â€" and sighing in contentment as the taste exploded on his tongue.

It was then he spotted a large chocolate gateaux sitting on a shelf in a glass fronted refridgerator â€" and his mouth began to water. Coffee, hazelnut and chocolate â€" more than a perfect combination â€" and besides â€" there were only three slices left. No one would miss one slice would they? There were another four on lower shelves anyway â€" ah â€" what the hell â€" he was still peckish and the cake had a neon sign flashing above it in his mind “eat me â€" please eat me”, so how could he refuse?

Settling himself onto a nearby stool, he used his fingers to break off bits of gateaux â€" following each mouthful with a slug of coffee and grinned to himself â€" this was too good!

Man, so much had happened recently â€" and considering what he’d been through â€" Tony felt surprisingly good in himself and this extra treat just added to the whole experience.

Secretly, he was hoping the whole mess would be cleared up soon so he and Gibbs could head to their own bed â€" their own home comforts â€" and he smiled slowly. A debrief a la Gibbs would be very welcome â€" very welcome indeed.

Licking a finger â€" he collected up every last crumb on the plate and swigged back the last of his coffee â€" placing both plate and mug in a nearby sink as he wiped his sticky fingers on the butt of his jeans â€" looking up in time to see Nicky closing the back doors behind him.

“Hey!” he called, raising a hand in greeting â€" only the look on Nicky’s face stopped him short, the man looked genuinely startled and seemed jumpy to say the least. “Nicky? You okay?”

“I’m good,” Nicky replied quickly â€" his eyes darting from Tony to the floor at his feet and then to the storage cupboard to his left, as he shoved his car keys into the pocket of his jeans. “Yeah â€" good.”

“Hope you don’t mind â€" I helped myself to â€" “ Tony began as Nicky approached.

“Whatever â€" you’re a guest â€" and I gotta open up.” Nicky snapped as he passed â€" shoving open the bar door and disappearing from sight.

“Mm,” Tony pursed his lips as he stared after him. “For someone who’s put away nearly two bottles of Jim Beam in an afternoon â€" he’s looking surprisingly â€" un-hung-over which is now really irking me.” Tony turned back towards the back doors â€" thought for a second or two and then made his way towards them â€" the left hand door was slightly open and Tony eased it open carefully â€" wincing as it squeaked noisily â€" and peered around it into the carpark beyond.

Four cars â€" no telling which was Nicky’s.

Tony closed the door â€" glancing over his shoulder as he did so told him he was alone â€" no sign or sound of anyone.

A startled rabbit! Tony decided. That’s what Nicky reminded him of â€" he’d known a similar look â€" all his own when he’d been a kid â€" caught doing something naughty â€" and Nicky was up to something â€" naughty â€" hah! Tony grinned to himself â€" saying that â€" when he’d been a kid â€" he’d gotten away with hell at times himself.

His gut was telling him something was hinky â€" Nicky’d only gotten blind drunk to stall whatever Gibbs had in store for him â€" Alex and Taylor had taken it on the chin â€" so to speak â€" but Nicky’d been asleep for the duration â€" and now he was walking about â€" looking for all the world like he’d not been to the bottom of a bottle or two only a few hours before â€" and he was opening up the bar!

“Might be nothing â€" might be something â€" “ Tony mused as he reached into the back pocket of his jeans and tugged out his wallet. He selected a credit card and pressed it against gap in the door and the frame â€" jiggled it â€" “twelve seconds!” he congratulated himself â€" “personal best. Okay â€" Nicky â€" what’s in here you don’t want anyone to know about.”

At first glance, the cupboard was two foot by three foot â€" a basic storage area for floor mops, buckets, paper towels and the like â€" a large vacuum cleaner stood straight against one wall â€" shelving facing the door and a pile of dust sheets opposite the vacuum and beneath the shelves which were about two foot from the floor a collection of readied garbage bags â€" red and black â€" incineration waste and ordinary trash.

Tony’s eyes narrowed as he hunkered down â€" reaching forward and pulling the plastic bags away from underneath the shelves until he could see a black handle â€" the handle of a black holdall.

He checked his immediate vicinity again and then tugged the bag free and unzipped it. He reached in and pulled out two passports â€" one in Nicky’s name and one in Amanda’s name â€" and then he lifted out what looked like plain large envelopes â€" buff and sealed â€" and very thick. Snicking a corner of one of the envelopes â€" his eyes went wide as he whistled under his breath â€" he tore it open fully and emptied the contents into his hand.

Non sequential one hundred dollar bills â€" a quick count and he estimated there had to be at least two hundred and fifty thousand dollars in total â€" and add that to whatever Nicky’d already sent off shore â€"

Someone was planning to disappear â€" and soon â€" no doubt Nicky would be swinging by Amanda’s place later.

Hastily, but carefully â€" he replaced the money, shoved the bag back where he’d found it, arranged the garbage bags and stood up â€" re-locking the door before exiting the kitchen in search of Gibbs.

And the look he got from Nicky as he entered the bar area and joined Gibbs at Melinda’s table â€" told him Nicky was none the wiser about what he’d just discovered â€" playing the host perfectly as he approached their table with a fresh round of drinks â€" briefly looking uneasy under Gibbs’s unspoken scrutiny â€" retiring to the safety of the bar where he kept his head down and his gaze away from them â€" and it was Gibbs’s turn to listen to his gut!