- Text Size +
“I don’t understand why we’re doing this, Tony.” Matt commented as Tony shoved an unusually silent Nicky down into a chair in the same room Alex and Taylor had been questioned in only a few hours earlier. Nicky hadn’t protested as he’d been led back up the steps from the wine cellar and held against the wall by Tony as Matt removed his cuffs bringing his hands around to the front and refastening them tightly. Tony then insisted on the shortest route and was quietly surprised to find himself and the small group being led through two secret doors until they emerged at the back of the main reception desk. The main lobby was busy but people seemed too intent on greeting friends, or involved with their slaves/subs et al to notice their handcuffed host being led to the far side of the vast arena and through another door. “Boss? What the hell’s going on?” This he directed at Nicky who sat staring at the tabletop in front of him, jaw set firm and his hands fisting at his back.

“I don’t think even Nicky knows right now, boys.” Tony shrugged, clapping a hand on Nicky’s shoulder. “Maybe he’ll tell you the whole story one day. Until then, not a word of this to anyone outside okay?” He looked from Matt to Pete and back again until he got a nod in response. “Good.” He paced across the floor to the two men and with an arm around each of their shoulders, he led them outside and turned to lock to door.

“I’ve heard • rumours,” Pete began with tilt of his head. “And I’m not liking what I’m hearing • is it true that • “

“Stop right there,” Tony held up a hand and grinned. “Once Gibbs gets to the bottom of this, you’ll be the first to know • and I thought you guys weren’t the kind to listen to gossip.”

“Gossip?” Matt stepped back to allow a young woman pass, before leaning back against the wall • keeping his voice low despite the buzz of conversation around them. “One minute we’re working for three of the best bosses in DC and now it turns out that two of them could be implicated in some multi million dollar scam? Not the kind of thing you want to hear • any time.”

“Besides,” Pete added with a sigh. “We’re now looking at losing our jobs over this too • they go down • this place goes down • and we’re on the street.”

“No one is going to end up on the street, Pete.” Tony reassured him. “Rick is still around • he’s going nowhere • and neither are any of you • honest.”

“Until an hour ago • I would never have thought Nicky capable of even thinking of doing what he’s *alleged* to have done,” Matt jerked a thumb over his shoulder at the locked door. “Who’s to say in another hour we find Rick just as guilty as him?”

Tony closed his eyes briefly and pulled in a deep breath, indicating with a crooked finger for the two of them to follow him. He found an empty alcove with little human traffic to overhear and sat down, Matt followed suite while Pete remained standing • hands on hips gazing down at the young agent.

“I’ll let you both in on a secret, guys,” he began. “Rick is claiming he knew nothing about any scam *alleged* or otherwise • “

“So he had no idea Taylor had planned to kidnap him • “ Matt asked, leaning forward.

“No, he didn’t, and I was just an added bonus. Look,” Tony scuffed a hand over his face. “Rick is claiming he knew nothing • and • frankly • I believe him. Alex and Nicky along with Taylor had the whole thing planned a while ago • they’ve been handfeeding Rick complete bullshit ever since but Rick’s been too tied up in the business and all the other stuff he’s involved in to notice.”

“Hold on,” Pete leaned a hand against the wall above Matt’s head. “How can Rick *not* notice? I mean, you know they’re triplets? You do know about their • link?”

“Yeah,” Tony nodded

“Don’t.” Matt shuddered. “That still scares the bejeezus outta me.”

“In which case • how come he didn’t • ? “

“No idea,” Tony admitted with a frown. “But he’s claiming they *shut* down on him and Alex is claiming Rick closed down on them • and I’m not about to pretend I understand any of that side of it • and I probably never will.”

“So you want to explain that performance from Jethro just now? What was that supposed to achieve?” Matt sat back and folded his arms across his chest.

“I’m not Gibbs,” Tony grinned. “But I can guarantee it’ll produce the desired results.” Tony winked at them both. “They’re both probably crapping themselves right now • after all • it’s not every day someone like Taylor Garvey gets his butt paraded on national television.”

“He was serious about that?” Pete sounded dumbfounded. “Jethro’s going through with it?”

“Uh • yeah.” Tony replied with a sly grin. “He sets his mind to something • he follows it through.”

“You serious?” Pete breathed, his eyes narrowed.

“Does a comet leave a crater?” Tony said as he got to his feet. “ZNN • in about a half hour • make sure you’re watching.”

“Man, that’s a bitch!” Matt hissed, pushing a hand through his hair. “Remind me *never* to get on the wrong side of Gibbs.”

“Here’s a tip,” Tony warned. “In the field, Gibbs always leaves his right side at home.”

****

Gibbs was at the main lobby, seeing Melinda off as he helped to carry the sound gear to the car and loaded it into the trunk. “Hey,” he said as the camera was handed to him. “One last thing.” He tipped the object onto its side and opened the tape section, removing the music cassette sized reel from its moorings, stashing it into his pocket.

“Jethro! What are you doing?” Melinda asked, aghast. “You mean I’ve been hanging around here for hours and for nothing?” She looked ready to go for him • hands fisting at her sides as she glared into his eyes.

“Once I get the answers I want • you get the tape.” Gibbs stated matter of factly.

“But you promised me a scoop!” Melinda was borderline tantrum now • her crew only too well aware of this as they climbed inside the relative safety of the car.

“And a scoop will be all yours • by the end of the night.” He kissed her lightly on the cheek. “The tape is the leverage I needed and those two will be singing like canaries soon. Or should I say • one of them.” He turned to leave and then turned back • a thought occurring to him. He wondered about it for a second or two and then returned to the car, leaning against it as Melinda closed the trunk. “What do you know of a Bill Paisley?”

“Bill?” Melinda echoed. “Arrogant, overbearing, an out and out pseudo snob but • unfortunately • he’s good at what he does • he gets results. Why?”

“No reason,” Gibbs shrugged. “Just he’s Taylor’s lawyer and he’s outta town golfing some place in Maine.”

“Bethel Country Club and Inn,” the reporter replied almost instantly. “Rumour has it he’s got shares in the place • takes one of the deluxe suites.”

“And you know this • how?”

“Ah • that would be telling.” She smiled at him, stroking his cheek.

“Mel • come on • how?” Gibbs pressed with a smile.

“Mm, okay • his ex wife is a girlfriend of mine.” She walked around to the passenger front seat and climbed in.

“Is she?” Gibbs followed her, leaning in the now open window. “Thanks. I’ll get the tape back to you tonight • via courier.”

“Just send that oh so cute Tony over with it,” she purred, her eyes twinkling. “I promise to return him by sun up.”

Gibbs snickered, shaking his head before straightening up and stepping back. “Not a hope, young lady. Not a hope, I need him in one piece.”

“You make me sound like a monster!” she pouted prettily.

“Mel,” Gibbs winked. “With your track record • you *are* a monster • I’ve seen your handy work • remember?” He pointed to the main door of the club. “He’d have no chance.”

“So what about you?” she suggested, peering up at him coyly. “I hear you’re game for anything • occasionally.”

“Go!” Gibbs knocked on the roof of the car • grinning broadly. “Get outta here!”

“One day, Jethro • one day.”

“When hell freezes over Mel and not before.” Gibbs murmured to himself as he watched the car head away down the street and turn a corner until it was gone from sight and Gibbs returned to the Club.

“Gibbs, Gibbs, Gibbs!” Abi was practically bouncing across the floor towards him.

“Abs?” He stilled her with a hand on her shoulder and took the piece of paper she was waving in front of his face. “And this is?”

“Paisley!” she beamed. “I know where he is, Bethel Country • “

“Club and Inn.” Gibbs held the paper at arms length and squinted at it. Abi tutted and snatched it from him • turning it the right way up. “I know.”

“You know?”

“Yeah,” he said shoving the paper into a pocket. “Mel just told me.”

“She did?” Abi looked crestfallen.

“She did.”

“I hate it when you do this to me.”

“And you just confirmed it,” he soothed as he kissed her forehead lightly. “And now • we have a room number • although • is that last number a five or an eight?”

“It’s a six, Gibbs! A suite all to himself.”

“Some people have money to burn,” Gibbs mused. “Thanks Abs.” She didn’t move • smiling up at him. “Gas?”

“Mm?”

“Never mind,” Gibbs made to walk past her but leaned down to whisper in her ear. “Haven’t you left Gerry alone for long enough?”

“Gerry! He’ll be so mad! I completely forgot about him • which means • if I play my cards right - *I’ll* be the one up for a spanking!”

“Way too much information Abs • and thanks.” Gibbs suddenly found himself talking to thin air as Abi’s slight form could be seen scurrying towards the elevators and then she was gone.

*****

“What’d you do with them?” Tony asked as he closed the door to Rick’s office • half expecting to see Alex and Taylor, nodding to Gibbs who sat on the sofa while Rick was leaning against the front of his desk.

“They’re safe enough,” Gibbs raised a hand quickly. “Nicky?”

Tony perched himself on the arm at the other end of the sofa from Gibbs. “Fine • not saying a lot but I’d say he’s busy contemplating either his navel or his options right now • he’s going nowhere.”

“Good job.” Gibbs commended him.

“So, now what?” Tony glanced eagerly from one to the other. “Something tells me something’s going down in here • “

“He’s got your gut, Jethro.” Rick observed with a wry smile.

“It’s what I trained him for,” Gibbs replied as Tony slid off the arm of the sofa and sat down • looking somewhat puzzled.

“Guys!” he protested. “I’m right here!”

“Yeah,” Gibbs sat up straight and reached into his pocket, tugging out the camera tape. “Know what this is?”

“Where’d you get that?” Tony reached for it • only for Gibbs to toss it across to Rick who • in turn • reached around his back, collecting up a bubble pack envelope from the desk and dropping the tape inside. “What’s going on?”

Gibbs then shifted about and retrieved the small digital camera, throwing it across to his lover. “The tape stays here for now • the memory doowacka thing in there • is taking a trip.”

Tony flipped the side button and a memory card slid out onto the palm of his hand. He stared at it briefly before looking up to see an amused Gibbs watching him carefully. “A trip where?”

“Maine • but first I want Abs to make a copy of the photos I took • and then you’re delivering it personally to Bill Paisley.”

“Not a problem,” Rick turned to his own desktop PC. “I can do that in a second for you.” He took the card from Tony and downloaded the contents to the hard drive, ejected the card again and handed it back.

“Taylor’s brief?” Tony asked as he settled back into the sofa.

“Taylor’s brief.” Rick affirmed with a nod.

“But I thought he was unreachable • at least that’s what I thought you said Ducky said.” Tony flipped the card between his fingers and then caught it again. “And Maine is a 600 mile round trip • which means I’ll be on the road all night!”

“Not necessarily,” Rick rounded his desk and sat down, leaning forward to rest his elbows on the mahogany top. “Who said you’re going by car?”

“Abi double checked with the hotel, Tony.” Gibbs explained. “He’s there • Room 426 and I want you to use your powers of *persuasion* to bring him back here, tonight.”

“You’re saying he’s got Taylor’s agreement with him?”

“No,” Rick sat back, linking his fingers behind his head and yawning briefly. “I’ve got people checking out his house now. If it’s there, fine but we want Paisley back in DC too.”

“You’re breaking into his house?” Tony stared at Rick • feigning disbelief.

“Again, no.” Rick smiled wanly. “But you’d be surprised how small a bribe it takes for a couple of immigrant security men to look the other way for ten minutes.”

“So I’m not driving • and assuming I’m not going by train • “

“Plane.” Gibbs stated flatly.

“Plane?”

“Yes, Tony.” Rick tossed across a brochure. “And I’m trusting you to behave on board and • yes • you’ll be allowed access to the cockpit.”

Tony’s jaw hit the floor as he stared at the front cover of the magazine in his hand. “How’d you get one of these?” he stammered.

“Uh,” Rick threw an amused look at Gibbs who, in turn, gave him an *I told you so* expression in return. “I bought one • last year.”

“Whoa!” Tony breathed, his eyes wide as he flipped the pages. “Whoa! You’re saying you actually *own* a Gulf Stream 200? You own one of these suckers? Boss • he owns • I get to fly in • he’s • man • you *own* your own Gulf Stream?”

“See what I mean?” Gibbs chuckled low in his throat. “Easily pleased.”

“Apparently so.” Rick was grinning as Tony continued to read the specs.

“Gulf Stream 200,” Tony said almost to himself. “It got DVD’s on board?”

“DVD’s, CD’s, I-pod, PC, fax, printer, phone.” Rick nodded. “All yours for the duration of the flight.”

“And the bar is out of bounds • except for root beer.” Gibbs warned.

“Sure thing, Boss. Man • a Gulf Stream. You must have worked your ass off to get where you are today if you can afford one of those!”

“And it all started as a poster on my bedroom wall when I was six, Tony.” Rick explained. “Kept telling myself I’d get one eventually.”

“And when you get bored of it?” Tony’s eyes were shining in excitement.

“You get first refusal • once your pension comes through.” Rick laughed, rising to his feet and approaching Tony • hand held out for the memory card. He took it between thumb and forefinger and placed it in a small padded envelope and sealed it, passing it back to the young agent who shoved it into the pocket of his jeans.

“When do I leave?”

“Whenever you’re ready,” Gibbs said getting to his feet as Tony did. “Duck’s offered to drive you to the airport • there’ll be a car waiting at the other end.”

“It’s only a matter or four or five miles from Bethel Municipal Airport to the Club • if you have any problems, Anton • your driver that end • might be useful.”

“And how long’s the flight?” Tony may have appeared calm but the excitement he felt was almost overwhelming • he was literally jiggling from one foot to the other and back again.

“Little more than an hour maybe less.“ Rick glanced up at the clock on the wall. “Duck’ll take your car Gibbs • okay?”

“Sure.”

“Gimme ten minutes,” Tony was still grinning almost manically.

“Tony?” Gibbs reached out, a hand on his arm. “Earlier • you said something about a clincher?”

Tony looked blank for a second • his mind still full of Gulf Stream and then it dawned on him and he headed for the door. “Don’t move • stay right here • back in a second.”

In fact it took him a little longer than that as he quickly headed upstairs and collected up his ID, stuffing it into the inside pocket of the leather jacket he shrugged on and then quickly removed Gibbs’s collar • placing it almost reverently in a top drawer of the dresser. He slapped the back pocket of his jeans • assuring himself he had his wallet and then he reached under the bed and tugged out his back pack • unzipping it, reaching in and pulling out the contents • leaving clothes where they landed until he spied his Sig at the bottom. He gave it a cursory once over and then clipped the holder to the waistband of his pants at the small of his back.

One last look around and he was out in the corridor and locking the suite door and jogging towards the elevator. He hit the down button and the doors opened almost immediately and he was back in the lobby in double quick time.

Dodging guests and staff • he made his away towards the kitchen door and shoved it open. The place was busy with orders being shouted from the bar door, plated meals being collected up and taken away to placate eager diners, and his mouth was watering from the plethora of delicious smells coming from cooking meat, fries and all manner of food.

Fortunately, no one seemed to notice him as he made his way to the storage locker near the rear doors and it was with some relief that he found the locker door open. He hunkered down • but not before a check over his shoulder to make sure he wasn’t being observed and reached for the holdall hidden beneath the plastic bags. It was still there. He heaved a sigh of relief and straightened up, closing the locker and retracing his steps to the lobby door.

“Check that out,” he said, dumping the bag on Rick’s desk.

“What the hell is this?” Rick asked, unzipping it and peering inside.

“What have we here?” Gibbs frowned as he collected up the two passports • looking to Tony for an explanation.

“I was in the kitchen getting a coffee earlier,” he said, perching on the edge of the sofa. “Nicky came in via the back door • and he looked • preoccupied.”

“Define preoccupied.” Rick asked as he tore open an envelope and let out a low whistle as he thumbed the bank notes. “Fuck!”

“Yeah, fuck.” Tony agreed. “Gotta be nearly a quarter of a million there, Rick. Nicky’s planning on running • or should I say • was.”

“Preoccupied?” Gibbs prompted.

“Oh, yeah. It was just something about him • didn’t sit right. He seemed on edge and • surprised to see me • and then he looked downright scared.”

“And you found this where?” Rick sat down, dropping the open envelope of notes onto the desk.

“Storage cupboard • near the back door • he’s ready to bolt, Rick. Grab the cash, get in his car • swing by and pick up Amanda and off • never to be seen again.”

“Nicky?” Rick shook his head in disbelief. “No • I’d believe it of Alex • now I know what I know about him • but Nicky?”

“I’ll get to the bottom of all this, Rick. Trust me.” Gibbs said as he reached across and collected up the stuffed envelope to drop it back into the holdall, zipping it up and then dropping it to the floor behind Rick’s chair.

“Right now, Jethro • you two are about the only ones I do trust,” Rick murmured, sitting back and resting his chin in an upraised hand • a thoughtful look on his face. “You think,” he said after a brief pause. “It might be worth bringing ‘Mand in? See what she knows?”

“Amanda?” Gibbs snorted. “I’d advise against it • you know how possessive she is of Nicky • and I’m very possessive of what’s in my pants. Until we’re sure • no • leave her out of this.”

“But she’s obviously expecting word from Nicky or she’s waiting for him to show.” Rick sighed heavily, closing his eyes tightly against the sudden tiredness that overwhelmed him. “I’ll send word to the house • just to keep an eye on her • anything hinky • “

“Sounds good to me,” Gibbs nodded. “So, Tony • you set to go?”

“Yep.”

“I’ll let Ducky know.” Rick reached for his phone and buzzed the bar extension. “Yeah • Ducky there? He is?” A pause. “Tony’s ready • let him know for me?” Another pause and then Rick replaced the handset. “You’ll be happy to know • Ducky’s been on ginger ale • and he’s fit to drive.”

“Shame it’s not the Morgan,” Tony straightened his jacket and pushed both hands through his hair and then ran the tips of his fingers furiously over his scalp while looking into a large mirror on the right hand wall until he was satisfied with the result • spiked and mussy. “He keeps promising me a ride in it • but something always comes up.”

“Enough talk, DiNozzo.” Gibbs opened the door and preceded the two men out into the lobby, waiting as Rick locked the door. “Anyone else have a key to this?”

“Front desk • security and me.” Rick answered, pushing his keys into a pocket. “And - Alex and Nicky.” He paced across to the main desk and leaned in close to whisper in Ben, the security man’s ear.

“Understood,” Ben nodded. He reached beneath the desk and took out a small metal box and unlocked it. “No one gets in.” He held up a key and retraced Rick’s steps • unlocking the office door again and stepping inside • relocking it quickly.

“Dependable.” Rick murmured.

“I’m glad you think so.” Gibbs quipped. “You take these guys on recommendation or what?”

“Private security firm,” Rick explained as they reached Ducky, sat at a table on the far side of the bar. “But they’re all vetted at the highest level • can’t have any old Tom, Dick or Harry working here.”

“Yeah,” Gibbs agreed. “Understandable • with the potential security risks that come with the job.”

“Tony!” Ducky turned quickly as Tony rested a hand on his shoulder. “So • a spot of babysitting for our intrepid Senior Field Agent, mm?”

“Pick up and drop off, Ducky.” Tony corrected him, waving the car keys in front of him. “Ready?”

“As I’ll ever be Anthony, my boy.”

“Then • can we • go? Please? I have carte blanche of a Gulf Stream 200 and I can’t waste time standing here waiting for you • “

“A Gulf Stream 200?” Ducky echoed enthusiastically. “I would have no idea what that was if it ran over me in the street • but I’m sure you’ll be only to happy to fill me in on the specifications on the way. Yes, this reminds me of a time when a group of us sneaked out from the dorms back in my very early school days • it was nearly midnight when Dobson decided it might be an idea to attempt a raid on the kitchen pantries • baking day was a Wednesday • and Cook usually made vast batches of all sorts of • “

“Duck • please,” implored Tony.

“Ah • yes • I am sorry • you have the keys?”

“I gave them to you.”

As this exchange went on, Rick and Gibbs exchanged glances.

“Same old Ducky.” Rick whispered.

“Oh yeah • never changes. ‘Scuse me.” Gibbs stepped up between Tony and Duck • took an arm of each of them and guided them away from the bar • across the lobby to the kitchen door. “Any problems, Tony • you call in.”

“I’ll call you on the air phone.”

“No,” Gibbs growled. “I’ll be busy with Nicky. Any *problems* • you call in.”

“I *won’t* call you on the air phone then?”

“See?” Gibbs nodded with a half smile. “You’re getting it. Now go • both of you.”
******

“Staying silent isn’t going to help, Nicky.” Gibbs sighed, tossing his pen onto the notepad lying on the table before him. He glanced at his watch and sighed. “Twenty minutes wasted already. You’re going to have to start telling me what the hell is going on sometime.” Gibbs paused, watching the young man sitting opposite closely for a few moments. “Okay,” he sat back in his chair, crossed his legs, a hand outstretched on the table. “I can wait. I’ve had enough practice.”

Nicky continued to stare at a point over Gibbs’s left shoulder, his tongue snaking out to wet dry lips as he then dropped his gaze to his hands in his lap.

“Look,” Gibbs began. “Nicky • all I want is to understand what’s been going on. Y’see, I don’t think you are *that* stupid that you’d let Alex or Taylor talk you into their scheme, but for some reason, you’re implicated and you *are* looking at a long stretch in prison right now • so why not tell me what your part was in all of this • and maybe we can work a deal.”

“I want a lawyer.” Nicky said finally, his voice low.

“What for? You’re not under arrest • yet.”

“No?” Nicky lifted his head, but was still unwilling to look directly at Gibbs. “So why am I cuffed?”

“Because I can’t be sure right at this moment that you won’t pull the same stunt your brother pulled when he went for Taylor • Alex snapped his cuffs and beat the hell out of him and I’m rather partial to remaining conscious.”

“Why would I go for you, Gibbs?” Nicky lifted his gaze. “I’ve nothing against you.”

A smile ghosted over Gibbs’ lips briefly. “Not yet you haven’t • but we hardly started yet. Want to explain why we found you alone in a car in the parking lot of an abandoned warehouse? How come you still had your cell? Where did Alex disappear to? Why’d he leave you all the way out there • huh?”

“Why not ask him?” Nicky challenged, his eyes hardening under Gibbs’ scrutiny.

“I did,” Gibbs replied. “Guess what? He wasn’t too forthcoming with an answer • so I was kind of hoping you might be able to help.”

“So like Alex,” Nicky mused • almost to himself. “How much longer is this going to on for?”

“That’s sort of up to you,” Gibbs shrugged. “Tell me what I want to know and it’ll all be over.”

“And what will happen to me?” Gibbs wasn’t sure • but he could have sworn he detected a slight edge of genuine concern in Nicky’s voice.

“What do you *want* to happen, Nick?”

Nicky stared back at those so blue eyes, worrying his lower lip as he tried to read Gibbs’ inscrutable face. “What I *want* is for whatever you think is going on to have fuck all to do with me • and it does have fuck all to do with me!”

“You seem very sure about that? Again • why’d Alex leave you at the warehouse? Why’d he dart you?”

“You’ll have to ask him that.” Nicky snapped. “I’m not a fucking mind reader!”

“No?” Gibbs leaned forward. “But • Nicky • you can deny it all you want. I *know* the three of you are • connected. I don’t understand it • but I do *know* about it. Yet • both you and Alex claim Rick has shut you out and he says you both shut him out. What I don’t get is why when Alex darted you • Rick, who was some five miles away at the time, knew exactly what had happened to you. He had me stop the car, he couldn’t get out of the car fast enough • whatever happened with Alex, Rick felt everything - *saw* everything, Nicky.”

“So?” Nicky challenged softly.

“So • here’s my take on the three of you at the moment. Rick’s the eldest, you’re the youngest • Alex stuck in the middle. I think there’s a connection • a stronger connection between you and Rick. I’ve known the three of you long enough now • to see the signs • you may not realise it, Nicky but Rick’s always watched your six.”

“Bullshit!”

“He’s always looked out for you ever since you were kids • Alex was the loner of the three of you, still is. Oh, yeah he can be quite deceptively charming when he wants • he had Tony taken in almost immediately. Can’t quite remember how Tony put it but he thought Alex just exuded an easiness, a likeability about him • but me? I’ve always been slightly wary of him.”

“That famous fucking gut telling you that?”

“Yeah. If you like.”

“If Alex is a so-called *loner*, why’s he still around?” Nicky asked carefully. “Why’s he still in DC? Why’s he here every night? Why is he • “

“Biding his time, Nicky • he’s just biding his time and then Taylor approached him with a proposition • an offer too good to pass up • and it was the easy way out Alex had been waiting for. With Rick out of the way • preferably dead of course • everything is split two ways • Taylor gets what he wants and Alex, gets what he wants. Only problem is • there are also two losers. Rick and then you.”

“What are you saying?”

“I’m saying,” Gibbs spread his hands. “Rick’s dead and it would only have been a matter of time before they came after you too. You were never in the plan, Nicky • never part of the equation. I’m guessing you either stumbled across whatever they were cooking up by accident and they had no choice at the time *but* to include you or • and I really hope this isn’t the real reason • you approached them directly and demanded to be included. But I’m not sure if you’d stoop to blackmail • just doesn’t seem your style.”

“You’re talking complete crap, Gibbs.” Nicky couldn’t help but smile at that .

“How close are you and Alex?”

“Close enough,” Nicky spat. “Blood ties.”

“But you’re not close as in a family?”

“Huh?” Nicky’s brow furrowed.

“Have you ever done anything you regret, Nicky?” Gibbs pressed on. “I mean *really* regretted. Is there something you’ve done either in the past, distant past or near past • something you’ve done that you knew was wrong, you were aware of the consequences but went ahead and did it anyway • and to hell with it?”

“What?”

“No worries,” Gibbs stood up, collecting the pad and pen. “I’m grabbing a coffee • can I get you anything?”

“Yeah • the key to these cuffs for starters.”

“That’s a no then.”

Gibbs closed the door behind him and walked the short distance to Rick’s office • opening the door and peering around it.

“How’s it going?” Rick asked as he re-capped his water bottle.

“Slowly.” Gibbs admitted. “I’m letting him stew for a while • he’s one tough cookie.”

“Nicky?” Rick snickered. “Coffee?” He poured two large mugs, handing one to Gibbs before returning to his desk and sitting down. “Don’t keep me in suspense Jethro, what’d he have to say for himself?”

Gibbs took a sip of the steaming brew and leaned back into the sofa • closing his eyes for a moment. “Oh, that’s good,” and then he swore under his breath as his cell began to ring. He tugged it from his pants pocket.

“Gibbs.”

It was Tony.

*****

“Boss!”

“Tony.”

“You busy?”

“Not right now.”

“So you haven’t had a chat with Nicky then?”

“Yes. *What* do you want, DiNozzo?”

“Huh? Oh • yeah • this plane is awesome! We’re at 20,000 feet and I’m sitting in a reclining seat with a fantastic view out the window • Die Hard 4 on DVD. Pizza on one side • “

“Tony • “

“I’m only drinking Coke, Boss • just Coke.”

“You called me • despite my asking you not to • to tell me you’re sitting on your butt watching a DVD and stuffing your face with gut rot?”

“And when I’ve done with the pizza • I get to have a go flying the plane • is that cool or what?”

Gibbs placed a hand over the phone. “Your pilot is letting him have a go flying the plane, Rick. Is that a good idea?”

“Don’t tell him • but technically • he might think he’s flying it • but auto pilot will be doing the actual flying • but if it keeps the kid happy • besides, I’m insured.”

“Boss? You there?”

“I’m here, DiNozzo • is Ducky on his way back.”

“No idea • as soon as we hit the tarmac I was outta the car and heading up the steps two at a time • call him.”

“I’ll do that.”

“Hey, Gibbs • I was thinking. Y’think next years work budget could stretch to one of these • it could land on the roof • that way • next time we’re having to head out on a case at rush hour • we can just head up to the roof and be at the location in no time!”

“Mm,” Gibbs snickered, winking at Rick with a smirk. “Why don’t you ask the Director yourself • you know how he values our input.”

“Ya think? Yeah • remind me to do that.”

“Oh, I will, DiNozzo • as long as I can be in the room when you do ask him • should be interesting.”

“Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in your voice, Gibbs?”

“You’re the Senior Field Agent, Tony. You tell me.”

“You want me to hang up then?”

“Sounds good to me.”

“I was just wanting to share my excitement • that’s all.”

“Yeah • I know Tony. Just get yourself and Paisley back here in one piece • oh • “

“What?”

“Tony • remember you’re representing NCIS • so be nice.”

“Aw, that takes away half the fun.”

“He’s a lawyer • and pissed off lawyers sue.”

“Can’t I let him resist a little bit?”

“Bye Tony.” Gibbs snapped his phone shut. “Sometimes I wonder if I’m running a kindergarten and not an investigative team.”

“He’s having a great time from the sound of it, Jethro • he’ll be bored stupid on the trip back.” Rick was grinning broadly.

“Uh • no Rick • he’ll be driving me nuts with airplane specs for the next month • you’ve started something now. He’ll be impossible.”

“I’m sure you can come up with a ton of ways to take his mind off it, Jethro.” Rick leered at him.

“I am • I’m running a fucking kindergarten.” With that, Gibbs rose from the sofa, collected up a bottle of water from the bar and then picked up his still half full mug of coffee. “Would you do the honours and bring that holdall? You’re welcome to sit in if you want.”

“Right behind you, Gibbs. Right behind you.”

“Okay • Gibbs versus Nicky • Round Two • no holds barred.”
Chapter End Notes:
And we continue with the actual plot...YAY!! Oh - and thanks to the lovely Laura for the inspiration behind this ep - I was going to take it one way - but decided Laura's way was a lot better....enjoy....