- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
okay, as requested a little background on the triplets -
Rick closed the office door quietly behind him and made his way across the vast, well appointed room to the fireplace – collecting up a small gilt frame with an old sepia coloured photograph within. He let his thumb stroke the cool metal as a smile spread across his face.

“Why don’t you ever give me the full story, Grandfather – always half a clue,” he whispered. An inscrutable face peered back at him – a weather worn, deeply wrinkled face with shining dark eyes framed with wild, long grey hair – eyes that had seen nearly 100 winters some four generations before, his tribe migrating yearly across the vastness of the prairies in search of buffalo – White Wolf had been the medicine man of the Hopi tribe but he was no ordinary medicine man. His mother had soon realised her son was – different - to the other newborns born that same year when she had left him alone for only a few minutes and returned to find him toying with a dead rattle snake – gurgling happily to himself as he tossed the carcass from his cot and fixed his fear stricken mother with a knowing stare. Her cries brought others running and the shaman had simply stopped in the doorway of the tent – regarding White Wolf with a small smile, nodding to himself. “The White Buffalo foretold this,” he had said as he scooped the baby into his arms. “A new dawn has begun.” And so it was – White Wolf was schooled almost exclusively by the shaman – who nurtured him, taught him the ways of the spirits and gently guided him on the road to manhood. It was the shaman who soon realised the potential within this young man – as his abilities began to surface – the gift of healing, of empathy with others, to connect with his spirit guides and see great distances, see the future – he was protected, kept safe until the time came when the shaman died and White Wolf stepped expertly into his moccasins as if they had been made for him.

White Wolf’s legacy was still alive – within Rick, Alex and Nicky – the brothers all nearly three quarters Native American. Only a select few knew of their capabilities – they were deliberate in who they chose to take into their confidence – in this day and age it didn’t pay to broadcast the fact they were – somewhat different.

The sound of the door snicking shut had Rick half turn to see Alex approaching him with a concerned expression. Rick reached up to place the frame back on the mantel only for Alex to take it from him as he placed an arm around his brother’s shoulders.

“Good old gramps,” he said with a small smile.

“Hey, a little respect!” Rick chided, snatching back the photograph and placing it back where it belonged.

“Gramps doesn’t mind,” Alex grinned. “He’s still messing with your mind isn’t he?”

Between the three men, their “gifts” also included a measure of telepathy – what one was thinking, feeling or doing – he could - if he so chose share it with the remaining two and vice versa – and on the rare occasions “Gramps” came through – all three were instantly aware.

“Where’s Nicky?” Rick asked as he folded his lean frame onto a nearby sofa.

“Busy – where else would he be?” Alex hitched a hip on the desk and folded his arms, regarding Rick carefully. “I’ll go get him?”

“Nah – no hurry – but I do need you to do something for me,” Rick began, stretching his arms above his head and yawning loudly.

“Aside from wrapping Tony in cotton wool – there’s not a lot more I can do,” shrugged Alex. “I can tighten up security – and with the three of us on alert – not a lot can happen here – they’re safe enough upstairs.”

“Maybe.”

Alex sighed before pulling himself to his full height and tugging his shirt straight. “Did you get a time line? Anything that says we might need to get Tony and Jethro out of here pronto?”

Rick shook his head. “Not a thing – as usual – vague is as vague does and it drives me nuts! Anyway – just stay sharp.” He paused, watching as his brother walked across to the door. “Anything going on out there I should know about?”

“Not a lot – found two guys doing skunk in the bathroom, both forcibly ejected into the hands of a passing patrol car – Amanda’s sulking because Nicky won’t let her go find Tony – Inara’s dealing with her first client of the night – oh – and Gillon’s going to sue us for defamation of character – or some such crap.”

“Oh good – a quiet night then.” Rick grinned quickly.

Alex inclined his head, a hand on the door knob as he turned back. “Hey,” he said, waiting until Rick looked at him before continuing. “What happened with Tony – I was half expecting it – this is all too new to him.”

“A big mistake, Bro – a big fucking mistake.”

Alex shook his head. “No – I don’t think so – give him time. Besides, I saw the way he was looking at you when he arrived – he’s up for it – just don’t – rush things.”

Rick raised both hands in a gesture of surrender. “Far be it from me to come between a Dom and his sub.”

“Huh? You were sharing their damn bed for crying out loud,” Alex chuckled. “Nothing could get between either of you!”

“Don’t you have some security issues to deal with?” Rick threw a cushion across the room, only to have Alex slap it down to the floor where it landed with a soft thunk. “Oh – and send Amanda in – I think I need to take her mind off Tony for the moment.”

“Don’t you mean “your” mind?”

“Alex – do me a favour?” Rick’s eyes narrowed as he got to his feet.

“Sure – name it.”

“Go play in the traffic? Please?”

“He’s hot – and you know it.” Alex taunted with a grin.

“Out! Now!”

No sooner had Alex ducked out of the room than the door opened to admit Nicky who was looking troubled. Rick rounded the desk and sat down, resting his chin in an upraised hand.

“Don’t tell me,” he began. “Amanda’s withdrawn your privileges ‘cause you won’t let her play with Tony?”

“Funny ha ha – not!” Nicky growled throwing himself onto the sofa. “She’s just granted me a knee trembler in the store room – but that’s not why I’m here – what gives with Gibbs and Tony?”

Rick closed his eyes briefly and shrugged before sitting back in his chair. “How in hell should I know?” he nearly shouted. “Sorry – I mean – I have no idea – no clue – you saw and heard what I saw and heard and if you can find any clues in there then feel free to share.”

“I know one thing,” Nicky pushed a hand through his hair. “Whatever it is – it’s happening in the next couple of hours.” He glanced up at his brother briefly and shook his head quickly. “And no – I have no idea why I know that – something’s been bugging me since they arrived.”

“Elaborate.”

“I can’t Rick – but when you told Gibbs what – what you saw – something just hit me in the chest – my gut is telling me we have to get the two of them to safety and here is not it!”

“So – what do we do? Go upstairs and grab the two of them coitus interruptus, throw them in the back of a limo and head into the night?” Rick leaned forward, his blue eyes wide and full of concern.

“If need be,” Nicky nodded.

“Fine – go ahead – “ Rick snapped. “Gibbs’ll want to know what’s going on and we can’t tell him anything because we don’t know anything – we’re acting on a hunch here!”

“And since when did Grandfather’s hunches be proved wrong? He spoke to us tonight for a reason – and I’ve learned you don’t ignore his messages.” Nicky replied quietly. “You know that and I know that.”

“Look – right now I need to be alone,” Rick said softly. “I need to meditate – if Grandfather has anything else to add – I’ll see what I can pick up.”

“You want me to go? Wouldn’t you stand a better chance if the three of us – “

“No, thanks Bro – but I can do this alone.” He rose to his feet fluidly and made for the door, holding it open. “And don’t worry – you’ll be the first to know if he gives me anything to go on.”

“Yeah – well – you know where I am if you need me,” Nicky offered as he headed into the corridor. “Just – be careful.”

“As always.”

TBC