- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This is a sequel to "the worse the start the better the end". Would be better if you had read it. Thanks to Eva for the help and to Nadine for pushing Not betaed, all mistakes are mine
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony and Gibbs are living together for six years now and their son has grown a lot. But they're like a trouble magnet
The morning had started quite good. He had woken up at his usual time, had gone for a run. The weather was good, noone was in his way, and he smelled coffee when he entered the house again. He heard the particular brizzle of bacon in a pan and since he hadn't seen the newspaper on the porch he knew he'd find not only coffee but also his lover in the kitchen. He allowed himself to smile when he saw the younger man at the oven swaying in rythm with the song from the small radio on the counter. This morning really started good.

His eyes landed on the table where a coffee and the newspaper waited for him...along with his glasses. Frowning he stepped completely into the kitchen.

"Tony..."

He said picking up his glasses. The younger man turned shortly only to turn back to the stove.

"Morning, LJ."

"Why did you put my glasses here?"

"Huh?"

Tony threw him a confused look over his shoulder.

"My glasses. You put them on top of the newspaper. Why?"

"C'mon, Jethro, we both know you need them. I don't want to watch you holding the papers far enough that I could also nail them on the wall opposite you."

"Tony, if I need my glasses I take them, that's what I have them for."

Tony turned off the stove and gave Gibbs his full attention.

"Oh, you take them. When I'm not around. When you're alone. I know a bit about being vain but this..."

He shook his head.

"Tony, if I need them..."

"Stop that, Jethro. How often you can't read a thing no matter how far you stretch your arm? Jeeze, you shouldn't hide that from me..."

"I'm not hiding anything!"

"What is your problem then? Are you afraid I could think you're old? I know how old you are and I'm still here, am I not? I don't understand it, Jethro. If I ever see you almost overstretch your arm instead of taking that damn glasses I'll be out of the room and you can bank on it that I won't come back."

Did he say this was a good morning?

"Tony...why are you making such a big thing out of this?"

"Do you know that it's not good for your eyes if you don't take the glasses you need? Maybe you don't care but I do. What is next? If the doc says you need the glasses to drive? Will you take them then? Or will you drive around without them and endanger you and others? Face it, Jethro, your eyes are not as you're used to."

With that he put the plate with the bacon on the table and left the kitchen. He certainly knows how to make an exit, Gibbs thought warily. He rubbed his eyes behind which a migrane was building. Luckily, after three failed marriages, he had finally found a way to make up for thing he'd screwed. Walking into the bedroom he found Tony putting away the laundry. Gibbs threw the glasses on the bed and shoved his hands in the pockets of his sport pants. Tony threw him a glare but returned to the t-shirts.

"I hate those glasses."

He carefully watched his lover but there was no reaction what so ever.

"So, if you want me to wear them you'll have to go with me shop for a new pair...a cooler one."

That draw attention and Tony looked up.

"A *cooler* pair of glasses?"

"Well, if I look old I at least look like a cool old bastard."

A smile slowly crept onto Tony's face and Gibbs took the chance of approaching him.

"Issue closed?"

"For now."

Tony warned but kissed him. Gibbs responded deepening the kiss but Tony pulled back.

"We gotta pick up Dom in a few minutes. With everybody else I'd say that's enough time but not with you."

He said grinning mischievous and moved back to the laundry.

"I still think we should have picked him up..."

Gibbs muttered but Tony only laughed.

"Jethro, he called the first day and didn't like it. He didn't call since then, he probably had forgotten that we exist the moment he had hung up the phone. Six year old children are supposed to dislike summer camp the first day, then they make friends and everything is fine. By now he's somewhere between the state that he doesn't want to go home and he can't awaite to see us again."

The older man frowned at him.

"How do you know that?"

"I was a six year old boy once... Just that I missed my nanny instead of my parents."

Tony shrugged nonchalant and started towards the door. Gibbs stopped him and kissed him.

"Mhm...giving me affection I missed as a child?"

"Yup."

"Well, then thanks. Although I'm quite happy my father never showed me affection that way."

They smiled at eachother and went to get Dom.






A day later Tony and Gibbs were in the mall looking for new reading glasses.

"That's ridiculus, Tony."

Gibbs said as Tony approached him with yet another pair.

"C'mon, Jethro, one of them has to be good enough."

The older man only threw him a glare. He turned back to the insulting cupboard until he found a pair he didn't completely hate. The clerk asked him into a room behind the actual store to check his eyes. She pointed at the chart.

"Please read the fourth line."

Gibbs sighed and tried to read but couldn't make out more than grey. He squinted and narrowed his eyes but it didn't help a thing.

"Ok...let's try the third."

The young woman studied him while he tried to see the letters.

"B, O, M, I, S."

She said down on a chair next to him and noted something.

"Mr. Gibbs, when you last got your eyes checked you could read the third line?"

"I could read the fourth...I still can read the third..."

"It's B, Q, M, L, S, Mr. Gibbs. When did you see a doctor the last time?"

"Six months ago...why?"

"You should see one again. You have someone with you to drive?"

"Hang on. I can't drive?"

"Not without the right glasses and your reading glasses don't count."

Gibbs nodded slowly and stood up. When he walked out he just gave Tony the key and walked on ignoring the younger man's asking look.
Chapter End Notes:
This is a sequel to "the worse the start the better the end". Would be better if you had read it.
Thanks to Eva for the help and to Nadine for pushing
Not betaed, all mistakes are mine