- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
after fiasco at the optician there are more problems coming up
Chapter 2

Gibbs heard the door to the basement open, which meant he was doomed but he didn't care, he kept on sanding. A glance at the watch confirmed his suspicion, he had missed his son's bedtime. Well, fuck. The cracking of stairs seemed like an eternity and when it stopped it took nearly as long before he heard something from his lover.

"So?"

"So what?"

He kept sanding. It wasn't soothing, not really, he just kept telling himself that it soothed him.

"Jethro, when you stormed out of the store, I let you. When you were silent all the way back home, fine. You went right down here although your son would have liked to tell you everything about summer camp, but I'm ok with it. But then you missed his bed time. What the hell is going on?"

"Nothing."

That was too much. Gibbs knew it the moment it had left his lips but it was too late. Tony snapped the sanding paper out of his hand and glared at him.

"Not good enough."

"I need to see my doctor. I probably need permanent glasses. Happy now?"

Tony sat on the workbench and frowned at him.

"That's not the end of the world, Jethro."

Gibbs snorted and immidiatly Tony glared again.

"I don't care if you wear glasses and I don't think Dom does. Isn't that what matters?"

"What about my job, Tony? How many agents you know who wear glasses."

Tony opened his mouth but closed it again. He really couldn't recall any agent with permanent glasses.

"That's all Jen will need to take me out of the field. She didn't want me back after the explosion."

Gibbs looked up just in time to see the pained expression on Tony's face. His amnesia was still a sore spot in their relationship although they hadn't been together back then. When he returned Tony had never seem angry or anything, not like Ducky, but Gibbs knew that Tony just didn't talk about it.

"That's years ago."

Tony said low and didn't look at him. Gibbs quickly closed the distance between them and kissed him affectionately.

"I'm sorry, Tony. Honestly. I promise I'll listen to Dom go through his holidays over and over again tomorrow."

"Jethro, tomorrow's his first day of school."

Gibbs winced at that and tried to turn back but Tony held him firmly.

"You will come with us. It's a big step for our little boy and we went through hell to get him on that school. You'll survive a few hours with other parents."

"Snop parents."

Gibbs classified and shook his head.

"I'll come, it's for Dom. Jen already knows I'm off tomorrow."

"Right. And I'll come back the day after tomorrow, finally. I really missed working. Oh jeeze..."

"What?"

"I just realized that McGee outranks me now."

He grimaced theatrically but Gibbs only laughed, apparently the effect Tony had intented since he smiled slightly. He slid off the workbench and pulled Gibbs close.

"How about you take your new half-time Agent upstairs and teach him some rules?"

The older man grinned at that and leant in close but then smacked Tony on the back of the head.

"You want to start with rule number 12?"

"Thought you screwed that?"

"I made an exeption. My rules."

Gibbs shrugged and then kissed the other man deeply.






It wasn't very obvious but Tony felt it. While his son eagerly pulled him forward towards the school he noticed Gibbs lingering behind slightly. He cast him a warning look and Gibbs sighed annoyed.

"Just look at them, Tony. It's the first day of school not a fucking business meeting."

"Jethro..."

Tony hissed as a mother came towards them. She smiled friendly at them and Tony did his best to return it.

"Welcome to Marylane Elemantary School. I'm Mrs. Miller, I'm the parent's representive. You're Mr. DiNozzo?"

"Yes."

Tony said and shook her hand. He was about to say something when she continued.

"And that must be the little Domenic right? And you're...his grand father?"

She looked at Gibbs and Tony saw his eyes darken.

"Actually, he's Dom's father. My partner."

She cocked an eyebrow and forced another smile.

"Well, then take a look around. If you have questions, just ask."

"The proshure didn't say anything about bigots."

Gibbs muttered when she went away. Tony shot him a look but couldn't deny the look she had sent their way.

"Daddy..."

Dom urged and Tony let go off his hand and he was gone immidiatly.

"At least he seems to like it."

Tony shrugged and they went to check out the after school activities. All the way through the room faces turned towards them and Tony felt soon decidedly uncomfortable.

"Ok, you're right..."

He murmured and Gibbs surpressed a triumphant smile. Tony was just as stubborn as he was and therefore neither of them often admit it that the other was right. Right now he was too annoyed to care. He squared his shoulders and put a hand on Tony's back as they talked to one of the teacher, a friend of Tony. Apparently she noticed the behaviour of the other parents, too.

"Don't worry, I'll look after Dom. He'll be in my class."

She said smiling but it turned into a grin.

"Of course I won't prefer him or anything, you know me well enough for that, don't you, Tony."

"Oh, I know that Beth. But it's good to know he's in good hands. Everything was fine at the kindergarten, but we're pretty known in that area, I often did babysitting, the mothers were happy when a grown man watched their kids."

"I bet they does. Not to mention a good looking one."

She winked at Gibbs and strangely he didn't felt jealous. He could sense a vibe between them but it was the same vibe between Tony and Abby, maybe a bit like Kate, but definitely no danger.

"Luckily there won't be too much interaction between you and the other parents. Just on the few occasions you have to attend."

"The occasions we have to attend?"

Gibbs asked and couldn't hide the slight anxiousty in his voice.

"Yeah, Marylane expects a certain amount of participation from parents. We'll find something that suits you. Career day would be good, wouldn't it?"

"Maybe..."

They turned as they heard raised voices from the other side of the atrium. A man came towards them dragging Dom on one arm.

"Hey! Take your hands of my son!"

Gibbs said immidiatly in protection mode and stepped toe-to-toe with the man in a black suit who was half a head taller than he was, not that he cared.

"That brat hurt my son."

The man said and a boy showed behind him, together with Mrs. Miller.

"Mr. Miller, I'm sure there's an explanation..."

Beth started but Mrs. Miller cut her out.

"He twisted his hand! It could be broken!"

Tony knelt down to his son's level, who was rubbing his own arm.

"Dom, what happened?"

"He tried to hurt me, Daddy."

Gibbs turned back to the man who looked a bit shorter, but only for a second.

"What did he do?"

"He poked me."

"Kay, show me."

Dom poked Tony on the chest, and given that the boy was bigger and older than Dom he could imagine that it did hurt Dom.

"What did you do?"

"What Pa showed me."

Tony gave him his hand and Dom showed him the move.

"You see? That brat..."

"Stop calling my son a brat or you'll never see your kid growing up."

Gibbs said and Tony knew that tone of voice.

"You're threatening my child?"

"Not your child."

"Listen, Mr..."

Mr. Miller poked Gibbs in the chest and he did just the same move Dom had done.

"Now we know where he got that from!"

The man yelped and Gibbs laughed hollow.

"I could say the same about you. Your angel had started it. My son had just defended himself."

He let go of his hand and stepped to Tony. Picking up Dom he went to the door.
Chapter End Notes:
same as before