- Text Size +
Chapter 13

“Wow, shit” Tony muttered as he looked at the message on the wall. Truth was he was scared for Mac. She was one of his best friends and some psycho wanted her dead. He felt weird in her bedroom, unlike any other crime scene. Gibbs just raked around like it was his own house and Abby was probably comfortable here. But he felt weird, like he shouldn’t be here, like he had done something wrong. He was worried about Gerald too. He wasn’t out in the field apart from the original crime scene and then all his work was inside, yet he had been shot twice concerning work. Well, this time wasn’t really work related, but Mac made it sort of connected. Again Tony mind was drawn back to Mac and how worried he was. He knew she was kick ass and could look after herself, but he felt kind of protective of her, even though she could kick his ass. Hearing her called Sarah sounded weird to him. True it was her name but only Ducky and apparently this bastard called her that.
“Wow, remind me never to piss Mac off” came Abby’s voice, shaking him from his thoughts.
“I always have that running through my mind. What did you find?” Tony asked
“Well, I knew Mac packed a lot of heat, but she has an armoury in this chest of drawers” she said and Tony joined her.
“Wow, you’re right. I know now never ever to piss her off”
“Who’s taking photos?” Gibbs asked
“That’s Mac’s… I’ll do it” he said, receiving the famous Gibbs stare. He moved over to the nightstand and saw three pictures there. The first was of her and Chris and Matt. The second was a full team photo. Her, Tony, Kate, Gibbs, Abby, Gerald, McGee and Ducky. And the last was just Tony and Mac, taken a while ago, just after they were both married.
“DiNozzo!”
“On it” he said, taking pictures of the message and all other evidence.

Mac paced the waiting room again and again. She was biting her thumb nail and occasionally letting out a sigh. “Are you ok honey?” Chris asked
“Yeah, no, maybe” she said, still in a sort of trance.
“You know that he’ll be…”
“Chris, please don’t”
“Sorry”
“No, it’s my fault”
“Look” he said as the surgeon came out of the swing door and headed over towards them. Mac rushed over to him and started to listen to what he was saying.
“Mr. Jackson lost a lot of blood. We struggled to revive him and I’m afraid…”
“No, did he die?”
“No”
“Oh thank god”
“But he did slip into a coma while on the operating table”
“Shit”
“I’m sorry”
“Can we see him?”
“Not right now, but maybe in a couple of hours”
“A couple of hours!! I’ve already been here for 10!”
“I know and I’m sorry. I have to go. I have other surgeries scheduled” he said, turning and walking away, leaving Mac and Chris in the waiting room once again. She threw herself into a chair and buried her face in her hands. Chris put an arm round her and she leaned in towards him.
“This is all my fault”
“Mac, you can’t think that way”
“It’s true, he was after me. Gerald and Drew were hurt and killed for it”
“Shh, honey” and at that point she pulled away from him ad pulled her vibrating phone from her back pocket. “Sciuto”
“Mac”
“Hey Tony”
“Are you ok?”
“Yeah, same as when you asked an hour ago”
“Ok, sorry. Any word on Gerald?”
“Yeah, he is alive…”
“Oh thank God”
“Don’t thank me yet”
“Funny”
“He slipped into a coma on the operating table”
“Seriously?”
“Yes”
“Well, we will all be there soon”
“The doctor says we can see him in a couple of hours”
“Ok, we’ll be there”