- Text Size +
Chapter 19

The dinning room was quiet. There were a few other couples there, but the band had just taken a break, a near silence cutting through the room. Mac and Tony's table was near the centre, they were in plain view of everyone. The waiter brought over their main courses. Mac thanked him then turned back to the table. Tony picked up his cutlery, but caught the weird look Mac was giving him. "I'm a meat and potatoes kinda guy" he told her, and she nodded it off.
"Tony, the calluses on Mr. Saint-Pierre's hands suggests he was left handed" Ducky told him through the earpiece, and Tony struggled to change them over. This got a laugh from Mac. She picked up her glass and took a drink of wine.
"I thought you didn't drink"
"I don't, but my dad said her liver showed signs of heavy drinking, so I play the part"
"That a perk for you?"
"Hm, not the only one" she joked, throwing him a wink. Their conversation was interrupted by the buzzing of Mac's phone. She held it up to Tony's camera in his glasses so Abby could get the number, then answered.
"When do you wanna meet?" a deep voice came through the loudspeaker.
"I dunno, I'm free all night" she replied, accent still as perfect.
"The back of the restaurant, 5 minutes. No one must see you leave or enter. Your husband only, you come you die"
"Is that really…" she began, but he had already hung up. "Wow Gibbs, I never knew you had a brother" she said to no one, but still getting a laugh form Tony.
"Mac, probably a trap"
"Yeah, I know. How the hell are we supposed to go unnoticed?" she asked, running situations through her head.
"Distraction?"
"Aye no shit, but what?"
"I say you flash them"
"Of course that would come into your head first" she said, still trying to come up with something.
"I wouldn't mind that" McGee's voice came through the earpiece.
"Director, do you not remember our little conversation in the lab?"
"Yeah, scratch that idea" Mac seemed to have a look of confusion on her face.
"You got something?" Tony asked.
"Um, maybe" she said nervously.
"What's wrong?" he asked concerned.
"Well, it'll only work if I lose all coms, you can keeps yours."
"Sounds ok to me" Tony told her.
"I don't like it Mac." McGee told her
"Hard man to please. Which is different from what Abby told me"
"Ok, go ahead" he said, giving in.
"Probie! You give in too easy" Tony told him
"I don't mean to. She kinda has a command"
"Aw, you love me really McGee" she said, surveying the restaurant.
"So you gonna do this plan Mac?" Tony asked impatiently.
"Yeah, give me a sec. when I get up there and attention is gone from the rest of the room, you go."
"Wait, get up where?"
"Hopefully you wont see" she said, downing the rest of her wine, for once showing her nerves.
"What's got you so nervous?"
"Hm, maybe knowing how stupid my plan is"
"It'll probably work"
"That's what I'm afraid of"
"What? Mac you're not making any sense"
"Do I ever?"
"Well, with your 170 IQ, not to us simpletons. But mostly I actually have an idea of what you are saying"
"Well, McGee, turn off coms"
"Mac I…"
"Do it!" she said, agitated. He did and she stood up, moving towards the front of the restaurant. Tony saw heads turn as she walked past, so he got up and headed towards the room at the back of the restaurant. Mac saw him enter and she sat down at the piano. "Hm, maybe I should have flashed them." She said to herself, letting out a deep breath. "Here goes" she said, placing her hands on the keys and starting to play. The introduction finished and she opened her mouth, dreading every single moment.

The sun whose rays are all ablaze
With ever lasting glory
Does not deny his majesty
But stands in fire before me.
He wont be coy, a blushing boy
Complete with childish whining
But fierce and bold in fiery gold
He glorifies his shining


Tony entered the back room, the music ringing in his head. He thought the band had come back, but he remembered no females were in it. He suddenly realized why Mac was so nervous. She shouldn't have been, she had a lovely voice. He sort of wished he could be there watching, but knew he had a more important job to do.

I mean to rule the earth, as he the sky
We really know our worth
The Sun and I
I mean to rule the earth as he the sky
We really know our worth
The sun and I


Mac concentrated on getting the piano right as well as the singing. She knew she had nothing to worry about, she could sing. She used to as a kid and people always encouraged her, but this was one of the areas she was nervous in, one of the very few. She stole a quick glance over to the door Tony had entered and hoped he was ok. She would rather be in there with him any day. She turned her attention back to the task at hand and carried on, still nervous as ever.

Observe the flame you icy dame
The moon's celestial highness
There's not a trace upon her face of diffidence
Or shyness.
She borrows light through the night
Man-kind may all acclaim her
And truth to tell she lights up well
So I for one don't blame her


The audience watched her closely. They assumed she was part of the band, and was impressed. She had a beautiful voice, and her piano skills were also great. This was what the women were interested in. The men however, were more interested in the woman herself. She was very beautiful; her dark hair flowed down the back and even from a distance they could see the lovely eyes. When she had walked up her black dress moved with her body. Even the females in the audience were impressed by her looks. The woman seemed not to notice them, she obviously had something else on her mind.

Pray make no mistake
We are not shy
We're very wide awake
The Sun and I
Pray, make no mistake we are not shy.
We're very wide awake
The sun and I


Mac felt the pressure ease up as she neared the end of the song. Perfectly timed, Tony exited the room and sat back down at the table. The sight of him made her tense again, knowing that everyone in MTAC could hear and see her.

The moon,
The sun,
And I


The song finished and Mac wanted to run, but professionally she slowly finished, then she gracefully left the piano and joined Tony at the table. "What did he want?" she asked interested.
"Nothing, just where we are making the deal."
"You see them?"
"No, in darkness the whole time"
"Crap. You sure that's all?"
"No"
"Then what?"
"Up there, you were one Hot Mikado" he said, taking a drink. Mac was able to let out a laugh before switching back to think about their next move.
Chapter End Notes:
sorry about the song lyrics. i was writing form listening to the song and couldn't make out the words. so some are wrong i couldn't find the lyrics anywhere online. that is why. sorry again