- Text Size +
Chapter 23

Chris unlocked the door and shut it behind him and Matt. He hadn't seen Mac in 2 days, apparently she was on some kind of work thing, and he was only able to speak briefly on the phone. He and Matt had gone out for dinner in her absence, and they got back late. Traffic in the city could be a bitch. "Go put your pajamas on and brush your teeth, I'll be in to tuck you in soon" he said, kissing the half asleep boy on the forehead and sending him to his room. Chris shook his jacket off and hung it up, and then he tossed his keys onto the sideboard. He noticed a brown envelop lying on the floor by the door. It was well sealed, so he pulled out his knife. Good old rule 9. He opened it, turned it upside and shook. A DVD in a thin case fell out and he caught it. His name and address was on the front, so was a stamp, but there were no other markings. Chris placed it on top of the DVD player and went to tuck Matt in. he opened the door to find his son already in bed, although not asleep. Chris knelt down by the side of his bad and ticked him in.
"I love you dad"
"I love you too Matt. So does mummy, but she is busy at work. Should be home soon though. You will defiantly see her in the morning before kindergarten. Night" He said, walking towards the door and turning the light off. When he returned to the living room he placed the DVD in the machine and collapsed on the couch. It had been a long day at work. He had to tell a 15 year old that she had terminal cancer, and similar bad news to others. But he also had the joy of telling a young mother that her baby would be ok. He picked up the remote and pressed play.

"Tony!" Mac yelled across the bullpen, waking him up with a start. "Wow dude, you got some serious bedhead."
"Mac, shut up. You had sex in an autopsy drawer."
"Jealous?"
"Why would I be?"
"Hm, I dunno. Maybe the fact that I'm getting some?"
"How would you know that I… I mean I am too"
"Oh you liar!"
"I am not"
"You so are. I know. I know what pregnancy hormones are like it makes you…" she said, stopping and realizing what she had just done, and so had he.
"What do you mean pregnancy?" he said, kind of already knowing.
"Oh nothing"
"Mac. Is Kate pregnant?"
"How would I know?"
"You practically just told me, and when we were undercover, you said maybe Kate should have done it after all, then you said you had just been told that Celine Saint-Pierre was knocked up. Oh shit she is."
"Yeah, but I didn't tell you"
"Wow, that's a shock"
"Yeah, I know Tony, but you have to talk to her. I think she is here. Right, I'm gonna go before she shoots me. Good luck" she said, grabbing her jacket and weapon and running to the elevator. "See you tomorrow" she said as the doors slid shut in front of her.

Kate entered the squad room prepared to tell Tony anyway. She saw Mac leave and took a deep breath, preparing for a shocked husband. He spun round and saw her. He ran over and gave her a massive hug. "That is great news honey, I'm gonna be a dad again."
"I um…." She stuttered, confused at how he knew.
"I cant wait. Now you get some rest, you have a long few months ahead of you" he said, kissing her forehead. "Will see you soon, I have to stop nby the store on the way home. See you there" he said, kissing her properly this time. He followed Mac' suit and grabbed his stuff, entering the elevator, leaving Kate standing in the middle of the bull pen, speechless.