- Text Size +
Chapter 4

Chris was going to meet the rest of the group back at the police headquarters. He his was spinning. Was it Mac? He didn't know. He needed to figure this out and fast. He returned to Starbucks and got the children. "Was it her uncle Chris?" Mike asked,
"I dunno, but I‘ll find out."

"Hey, where you been?" Gary asked his lab tech as she wandered in 15 minutes late back from lunch.
"Sorry, got held up" she replied, kind of shook up.
"You ok?"
"Yeah, I'm fine."
"All the evidence from the latest case is in your lab"
"Got it" she said, grabbing up her white lab coat and rolling the sleeves up to the elbows and entering the lab.

"Can I help you?" the detective said as Chris and the kids entered.
"Yeah, I'm meeting special agent DiNozzo here"
"Oh, he should be here soon, I was having lunch with him and his friend but had to leave early. I'm detective Gary Gregor,"
"Chris Sciuto" he said, shaking his hand.
"Sciuto?"
"Yeah, why?"
"You any relation to our lab tech?"
"Depends on who your lab tech is" he joked,
"Kate Sciuto?"
"Kate Sciuto? Um…yeah, that is my sister" he lied, figuring it had to be Mac. Sciuto was a very uncommon name.
"Cool, she just got in. I'll take you to her" he said, leading him through a maze of glass corridors.

"Kate, you got a visitor" Gary said to the woman with her back to them
"Great. Who is it?"
"Hey ‘Kate' long time no see" Chris said, and she spun at the sound of his voice.
"Um…Chris hey" she said, knowing her cover was blown.
"I'll leave you two to catch up" Gary said, exiting the lab.
"Um…hey" she said again, looking for another exit.
"No, no escape this time."
"Um…"
"What the hell Mac. How the hell did you survive three rounds to the head?"
"Ah, it's a secret"
"Mac, please, I thought you were dead for 4 years. How could you leave or whatever the hell you did."
"I didn't have a choice."
"Oh, the hell you didn't. Tell me what is going on!"
"Fine! Yes it's me I'm alive."
"But, how"
"I wasn't actually shot. The guy who ‘shot' me was an old friend."
"Carlo?"
"Yeah, how'd you know?" she said, surprised.
"We figured it out."
"Oh my God, you didn't kill him did you?" she said concerned.
"No, we couldn't find him"
"Thank God."
"But all the robber names. Carlo, Martino, Marco and Angelo. They're all Italian. Mafia"
"Spot on. The mob"
"How the hell did you get caught up in the Mafia?"
"You say hell a lot"
"Mac!"
"Right, ok. Well. Do you remember that crazy nurse that I ‘killed'?"
"The one that fell on her knife"
"One in the same. Well, turns out her father was a big mob boss, so when he found out who ‘killed' her. He wanted her dead, and that person just happened to be me"
"So what, you faked your own death?"
"Yeah."
"How, you were ‘killed' by a robber"
"Again, like you said, that was Carlo. We went to college together and he owed me a favour. He joined the mafia ages ago and when he found out I was a target, he gave me a heads up. That's what our first conversation was all about. And then after a few months, after Matt was born, he said they were gonna a make a move. So, the only way out of it was death by one of him guys, that was Carlo."
"So why not come back?"
"If I committed suicide or ran, they would have killed you and Matt. If I came back and they found out I faked my death with the help of one of his guys, he would have killed all 4 of us. I couldn't do that."
"So instead you made us all believe you were dead?" he said, hurt.
"I wanted to come back so much. I even came to the airport a couple of times" she said, a tear running down her cheek. "But when I got there, I realised, I couldn't come back. That would kill all of us."
"So you lived a different life out here, did you remarry or something?" he said, sadly.
"Nope I missed all of you so much, I just…couldn't" she said, almost in tears, which was a rare site. He slowly walked over o her and did something he had done in 4 years. He hugged her, he could feel her grip his back tightly. He let go and so did she. This time he did what he had been longing to do. He kissed her, and she kissed him back like she had never kissed him before. He rapped his arm round her waist and she put hers up around his neck, and he leaned her against the desk.

"Wow, that's one fucked up family" Gary said as the whole group burst into police HQ. Abby saw the children standing at the front desk and ran over to them. "Where is your uncle?" she asked Mike.
"He went with the detective."
"Do know what this big secret is?"
"Um…kinda, but I can't explain it very well. I would wait for Uncle Chris to come back" Abby felt someone tugging her shirt.
"What is it honey?" she said, turning round to see Matt holding her shirt.
"Does my daddy not love my mummy any more?"
"Of course he does, he will always love her, as we all will."
"Then why is he kissing that lady?" he said, pointing off to the right, causing Abby to spin round and get very pissed off. She ran off in the direction of Chris threw open the glass door,
"What the hell are you doing!" she yelled, and Chris stopped kissing the woman. "You just left the kids to be getting it on with some tramp"
"Nice to see you too sis" Mac said, turning round so Abby could see her face. Abby stumbled back, a look of complete shock on her face.
"You… um… what the fuck?"
"Yeah" Mac said, taking a step forward, causing Abby to stumble back again.
"Um… you…"
"Yeah, it's me" she said and Abby didn't stumble this time. Instead she ran at Mac and pulled her into the biggest bear hug she had ever given. "Nice to she you too Abs" she said, although her voice was pretty muffled. Abby spun her round so Mac was facing Chris. She smiled and he smiled back.