- Text Size +
Tony woke with a start and a strangled cry, breathing heavily and sitting up quickly. He looked around the room in fear, not sure at first where he was; forgetting about being in the hotel suite and expecting to be in his apartment. He slowly calmed as he began to recognize his surroundings, blowing out his breath slowly and shaking his head to clear it.


Once he was sure of his surroundings and the fact that he was indeed safe Tony flopped on the sheets with a sigh, grimacing at their dampness and hoping he hadn't disturbed the other occupants of the suite. Tony glanced at the bedside clock almost 5. He had pulled the heavy curtain to the windows before he fell asleep so that he wouldn't be awoken by the sun. He knew it couldn't be the afternoon yet however because he still felt tired. He lay in the bed a few moments more before deciding to get up. Attempting to sleep more would be futile; he never could return to sleep after a nightmare.



Tony sat up with a sigh scrubbing his hands over his face. He reviewed his options. He didn't want to turn on the TV, not wanting to disturb Ezra and Vin. It was too early to go out… the health club in the hotel should be opening soon. If not, he knew the manager and he usually would open it for Tony when he asked him. A good workout would help clear the cobwebs and exorcise some of the ghosts that always seemed to linger after one of these dreams. In addition he would be out of the suite and hence unlikely to wake the others.



Tony rose quickly and grabbed his work out gear from the closet. It was something he kept here on a continual basis. Upon entering the main salon of the suite he noticed that only one bedroom had been in use the night before and mentally smiled for his cousin. He knew that Ezra was in love with his team mate but was afraid to say anything, do anything. It looked as if things had progressed between them. Tony was happy for his cousin he deserved something good happening in his life after the debacle in Atlanta, and the death of his wife.


Tony quietly slipped from the suite and made his way to the gym. He absent mindedly started working out and let his thoughts wander clearing his mind from the vestiges of his nightmare. Once he was fully clear of any lingering effects from his bad dreams he started thinking about what he could do with the free time he and his cousin would have today. It had been a while since they were in the same city with time to themselves and he was looking foreword to having the time with Ezra and getting to know Vin better. Maybe seeing the sites or going to the Smithsonian. Tonight maybe a bar or club… hmm Abby would love to see Ez again maybe I should call her and we can hit some of the hotspots she likes. There is that Bi club in Baltimore we can go too, maybe stay over there and come back in the morning… He grinned to himself thinking that Ezra would be in for some surprises knowing all too well Abby's taste in nightlife.


Tony debated briefly with himself about going for a jog and then decided to settle for the treadmill. He planned to run several miles and then head back to the suite and check on Vin and Ezra.



******************************



Vin woke slowly slightly later than his usual time due to the late hour of his bed time and the warmth of his bed partner, not to mention the very satisfying activity that took place just prior to falling asleep last night. He looked at the man whose head was resting on his chest and smiled. Last night he had experienced something he never thought would happen. He had loved Ezra as a friend for many years and recently those feelings had started changing. He always knew that he liked men more than women. But he never thought that Ezra would feel the same way. After meeting Ezra's family, not Maude but the family of his heart, and realizing that they were Moslem he thought that he would never have a chance with the man.



He watched Ezra sleep. Awake Ezra was constantly in motion, always talking or moving; when he had nothing to do he would take out that ever present deck of cards and shuffle them, moves becoming ever more intricate. His hands nearly dancing. It was interesting to see Ezra in a state of rest. It was a sight he hoped to see frequently and get used to. Vin took his arm and moved it to Ezra's hair. He started to gently run his hand through the hair enjoying the play of the strands through his fingers.



He let his thoughts wander. He was happy with what happened between them and he wanted it to continue but he realized he basically "outed" his lover to his cousin. His cousin who worked for NCIS. The Navy the heart of "Don't ask Don't tell" country. He was upset with himself for not having enough restraint last night to stop. To not let it happen at this time, but he also had feared a missed opportunity. That if he had not taken the chance when offered he would not be given a chance again. This was something he had wanted for a while and he didn't want to risk it. As a child after his mother had died he had not gotten many opportunities for love. As an adult he had found a few people to take a chance on. Nettie he loved nearly as much as his mother. Chris was a soul mate and brother to him. The rest of the seven also brothers. Ezra was like Chris a soulmate but more, more than just a brother. He clenched his fists in self anger and the man sleeping on his chest shifted sensing the change in mood.



"What's wrong?" said a very sleepy and VERY southern voice. The accent noticeably thickened.


Ezra stretched and looked at the man next to him as he sat up. A frisson of fear curled in his abdomen at the thought that maybe Vin considered last night a mistake. That he could have lost his best friend by giving into his base desires. The silence grew and Ezra moved to get up from the bed misinterpreting Vin's silence for regret.


Vin had been watching Ezra's face he saw the play of emotions on it so pure and honest. He lost himself in that sight not realizing he had not answered his lover and that his lover took his silence for regret. As Ezra rose to get out of the bed Vin caught his hand and pulled him onto his chest kissing Ezra deeply and thoroughly.



"Nothins wrong, jist thinkin' that's all." Vin got Ezra resettled next to him and started playing with Ezra's hair again.



"Well my dear Mr. Tanner what thoughts are you having that caused you to make fists of your hands?"



Suddenly Ezra was straddled by one angry sharpshooter. His arms pinned over his head



"VIN Ezra VIN damn it! SAY IT! I
aint sleepin' with someone who caint call me by my first name."



Ezra licked his lips which had become dry. "Vin" he said quietly realizing what Vin was implying. This was not a one time thing.



"Much better" He murmured as he leaned in to kiss Ezra again. He rolled off his lover and answered his earlier question.



"I was thinkin' that yer cousin will know ‘bout what we did last night ‘less I get up ‘bout now… I was upset that I outed ya Ez…"



Ezra sat up and looked at his lover "If you are planning to get out of bed to avoid my cousin finding out we shared a room, I fear you are too late. I am sure that Tony is long up by now. Considering the argument we had yesterday I would guess he didn't get more than 2 or 3 hours of sleep. Discussing my mother or his father always leads to nightmares for him. I never understood why Maude affected him so." Ezra said thoughtfully as he went off on a tangent. "Whatever the reason I expect he was awake before 5 and has already made use of the excellent health club facilities the hotel has to offer. In fact I am surprised he hasn't barged in here already."



"Ya ain't upset that he knows?"



Ezra looked at Vin with a puzzled expression on his face. " Knows what?"



"That we're together as lovers. That you're gay."



"No Vin I am not worried about it. I am sorry that I placed you in this position. If you want to keep it a secret, I am sure that I can get Tony to keep it quiet. No one will ever know. He may act like a little kid sometimes but it is mostly an act." Ezra was dying a little inside he had thought that Vin wanted a relationship with him. A relationship with Ezra would include his family at some point in time, but Vin did not seem to want Ezra's family to know about them.



"You can go back to the hotel where our colleagues are staying and go back to Denver with them later today. I am sorry that I …" Ezra felt the words choking him, and quickly got up and started getting dressed "took advantage of your good nature. I would hope that you will allow our friendship to continue, however if you feel that it cannot I do understand---"




"I ain't leaving. We jist got together I ain't leaving. ‘Specially when you got me so confused. I aint the one who has a family who is gonna be mighty upset that I'm gay. You do." Vin got up and pulled on the jeans that he had worn the day before. He didn't want to have this conversation naked. "Ezra your family is Moslem. One of the few things I do know about that culture is that gays ain't accepted. I remember some from the training courses I had to take in the army before I was assigned to Saudi during desert storm. That was a major point made in the training. I think they stone them in Saudi."



"I am sure they do Vin, Morocco isn't Saudi Arabia. That's not to say that Moha was happy when I told him that I was bisexual, and honestly they have never had to deal with a boyfriend before now, but they do know. Even Moha accepts it now. Mary and the rest were born here so they are very much modern Americans and never had a problem with it. They even know that I was interested in you. When we were in Florida after Mel was hurt didn't you notice the way you were treated? We were lucky Mary was too busy taking care of Mel and getting the girls ready to go to Morocco, otherwise she would have pushed us together more. As it was she was cooking for you. She rarely cooks anymore. I think you are her new favorite."



Vin was flabbergasted. He never would have expected this. Ezra's family knows about him? They know about Vin and actively encouraged the relationship? Then there was a knock on the door, but Vin had already started talking again.



"I caint believe you told Tony though Ezra." Vin started to say but was interrupted by a quick knock and a head that popped in the door just in time to hear that last sentiment.



"Hey Ezra you guys awake yet?" Tony asked, and then realized what he had heard and interrupted. For whatever reason they were fighting about him. Damn Ezra had not been involved with anyone since Tamilla had been murdered; Vin was the first person he had shown interest in. Tony wasn't going to do anything to screw it up for him. It was always a good policy to make yourself scarce before being asked to leave. Ezra would be a fool to give up Vin for Tony. There was no doubt in Tony's mind he was going to be asked to leave. He always was. Granted this time it took a really long time, so long he had stopped looking for the clues to tell him he was on thin ice, borrowed time. He knew he would be the one to go in this case because Mary and Moha had adopted Ezra he was their son. Tony had no such claim to them. No matter how much he had always wished differently he wasn't their son. He was sure they wouldn't just toss him out but gradually he would be around less and less. The invitations would stop and he would be excluded from occasions that he would normally be invited to. Better to leave now.



Thinking quickly Tony switched gears he was going to ask the guys if they wanted to head for breakfast but now instead said "Listen Ezra I forgot I made plans with Abby today and it totally slipped my mind. I'll catch you later." Tony quickly grabbed his work pack his keys and wallet, he could come back for the rest, and was out the door before either Vin or Ezra could say or do anything else.