- Text Size +
During the drive to the airport Tony tried to contact Ezra several more times still with no success. He was seriously considering his options including changing his flight plans for one to Denver. He decided to try Mel's brother Joe first to see if someone else had been able to contact Standish.

===============================

Kate meanwhile had been thinking over the parts of the conversation that she had overheard. She knew that someone from NY had been injured, that Tony was well enough acquainted with the Chief of Police in NY address her by her given name and not her title or last name and it seemed that the person injured was a police officer and knew Tony very well.

Kate sat thinking Tony and NY; Tony and NY… Abby had gone to NY with Tony about a month or so ago. Abby always seemed to know more about Tony than anyone else here at work.

"McGee I need to go to the lab and check on something with Abby, be back later." Kate got up and started to leave.

"K-K-Kate w-what I'm s-s-supposed to tell G-Gibbs?" McGee stuttered out knowing that since Tony was gone the morning was going to be a rough one.

Kate looked at him and shrugged her shoulders. McGee didn't know anything anyway so it wasn't like Gibbs could get any information from him.

"KATE!" she heard as she stepped into the elevator desperation coloring McGee's voice.

===============================

Tony hit the steering wheel with his fist in frustration as he drove to the airport. He had been about to call Joe when he came to a realization.

"Damn" he muttered to himself.

Kate heard the whole thing. She would tell Gibbs everything. As he sat in rush hour traffic he reviewed the conversation in his head. Probably enough to follow up on if they really wanted to. I bet Kate is already on her way down to Abby to… Abby! Damn! They had only been to NY together a few weeks ago. Abby had been good about keeping the secrets he shared with her in NY quiet but if she thought that something happened or he was in danger she would tell the team everything. Never mind Ezra or Joe his next call would have to be Abs.

===============================

Kate entered the lab to find Abby working on something on her computer. Loud music playing as always.

The phone rang and Abby answered it. "Abby's information line " Tony grinned in spite of everything he had learned this morning.

"Abs it's Tony, I know that Kate or Gibbs is there or will be there soon, don't answer and don't let on that its me who is calling. I got a call this morning; Melissa and David were shot line of duty last night. Her aunt called. I am on my way to the airport for a shuttle to NY. Kate overheard my conversation with Siobhan so she can more or less piece most of what happened together. I don't want anyone to know about my family Abs please don't tell them about the people you met on our trip." After the terrorist incident in the morgue he especially didn't want Kate or Gibbs to know about his Moroccan surrogate family. Let alone the fact that they made his father's money look like pocket change. Abby was cool with it. She thought it was awesome that he spoke so many languages and that he was much more aware of international politics especially Arab/American relations than anyone (especially Kate) would ever think possible.

It had been a tradition lately to gather in NY over the Columbus weekend. Since it wasn't a traditional holiday it was easier for most everyone to get time off. Initially he wasn't going to bring Abby. They weren't dating and he knew that if he did bring someone his family would jump to all the wrong conclusions. Surprisingly it was Mary who insisted that he bring Abby with him once he mentioned that the Goth wanted to see the Big Apple. Mary knew they were close friends and wanted to see that Tony had someone who cared for him since everyone else lived so far away. Mohamed did get to see Tony sporadically when he was in DC for business but it wasn't the same as having someone living close by.

"Please Abby don't make me regret taking you to NY."

Abby looked at Kate and smiled. "Ok sure no problem, give me a call later or things may change." Abby knew Tony would understand the subtle threat to expose him if he didn't let her know what was going on. She had liked both David and Melissa and was worried about them. "Bye now"

"Who was that?" Kate asked.

"Just a friend I am supposed to see later today." And she would see him later if he didn't call she was going to find him in NY and see for herself what was going on. "So what brings you down here we have a new case I don't know about?"

Kate looked at Abby not sure that she believed her, " No, no case…it's just DiNozzo got a call upstairs a while ago and then he just left the building took his stuff and was gone no explanation nothing. I overheard part of the conversation and I think he is going to NY… You guys just came back from there and I thought that you may know what is going on."

"A call from NY huh?"

"Yeah from the chief of police no less."

Abby had met the Chief of police when they were in NY. She had gotten a private tour of the forensics lab. "Really? Wow that's odd! All we did was see the sights go to Central Park and hit a few clubs. It was a fun time." Abby left out the parts here she met people who were important to Tony, his "family". She was shocked to realize that they were as wealthy and influential a family as the Kendalls. The fact that the husband of Mary Kendall was the influential Washington insider Mohamed Ait Said also surprised her. She had read about them in the tabloids of course but Tony was never connected to them. It appeared that they took pains to make sure that none of their children or grandchildren were mentioned in the press. Tony didn't want Gibbs to know of his connection with a noted Moroccan. With Gibbs obsession after the terrorist break-in in the morgue, with the obvious Arabic ties, Tony was afraid Gibbs would accuse him of collusion.

Tony was actually using all of Moha's contacts to try and identify the unknown assailant. He was relatively sure that the man was not Moroccan since his accent was British and not French. Most Moroccans learn French before English. Moha's contacts outside of the Maghreb were not as reliable as those in northwest Africa. He knew that Moha was trustworthy, he was a Presidential advisor on Middle Eastern Relations, but he knew Gibbs would never trust Tony's judgment. He was certain that if Gibbs knew who he was using as a source that he would be looking for a new job faster than he would blink… that is if he wasn't on the next transport to Cuba for confinement at GITMO.

===============================

Tony was taking out his frustrations at the traffic on his steering wheel again. He was also frustrated since he was still not able to contact his cousin Ezra. They weren't close cousins he used the term more to annoy the other man than anything else, in fact he didn't think they were related but Tony's parents had insisted that he call Ezra's mother Aunt Maude. Ezra had stayed with Tony and his family for nearly a year when the boys were 9 or 10 years old. He never saw him again until years later when he first went to the Kendall-Ait Said household on school break when he was a teen. Ezra was already living there.

As he was reminiscing the traffic started moving and he was at the airport soon after, parking the car and arriving at the terminal. With no luggage to check he was going through the security check, always a pleasant experience when traveling with his gun, fairly quickly. All the while thinking of his family, immersed in the memoires.

Tony shook his head to clear the memories. He needed to talk to his cousin NOW! Think DiNozzo Think! Ezra had mentioned someone on his team once Tener? Torrez? Tan… Tanner! That's it Vin Tanner. He had the number in his phone, Ezra had given it to him in case of emergency but he never called it. He would rather wait and use the big guns of calling Ezra's supervisors when all other avenues had been exhausted. This was his best next step.

"'lo" came a tired Texas drawl over the phone. Tanner had been sleeping in the chair in a room in a local hospital in Denver. ATF team 7 never let a team mate stay the night alone if they were admitted to the hospital, especially if it were one of the terrible twosome of Vin Tanner and Ezra Standish. They had an escape route for most of the area hospitals hardwired into their brains. Even if they were watched it didn't always work out. It was always better if one of the twosome was available to watch the other. Ezra had been injured in a buy and bust that went mostly according to plan. Except for the old staircase he had been on failing and causing him to fall about 10 feet dislocating his should again and causing a concussion. The doctors were seriously talking about surgery for the arm that kept getting dislocated. He was just as serious about not having any surgical procedure.

"Agent Tanner? Vin Tanner of the ATF?"

"Yes ?" not quite a growl but definitely more aggressive than the original greeting.

"This is Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo of NCIS I have been trying to locate an Agent Ezra Standish. It is very important that I locate him. Would you have any idea where he is? He isn't answering his home or cellular phone lines." Damn thought Vin what the heck do they want with Ez he isn't in the service.

The man on the bed had awakened at the sound of the phone ringing.

"Agent DiNozzo is it? I'm ‘fraid I caint tell you where Agent Standish is …" Vin didn't want to tell the NCIS anything he was afraid that they would be after Ez like the FBI, who always were trying to prove the claim Ezra was on the take even if they had to frame him. Team 7 protects their own.

Ezra cut off his friends reply. "It is alright Mr. Tanner I know the man on the phone. If he is calling at this time of the day it must be important. Please allow me to speak with him."

Tony was now seriously thinking he would have to change his flight plans and go to Denver and find Ezra before going to NY. He was about to give his contact information to the ATF agent on the line when he heard his cousin greet him.

"Tony! As wonderful as it is to hear from you I fear your calling at this hour of the day is a harbinger of bad news…"

" Cuz, sometimes I could swear you are psychic. Why couldn't I get you at home I have been trying for almost an hour!"

"Because I am in a damnable hospital bed! Mr. Tanner refuses to aid me in my bid for emancipation. Tony why are you calling what's wrong?"

Vin Tanner looked at his friend during the conversation. Ezra almost never used his first name, only occasionally when Vin asked or when the situation was tense like yesterday at the arrest. He always reverted back to surnames. This unknown NCIS agent had Ez calling him by given name without prompting…He felt a tingle of jealousy for someone he never met.

Tony became instantly fixated on one word…

"Why.Are.You.In.The.Hospital?" Deadly quiet but forceful at the same time. The fear in his voice plainly evident to the man on the other end of the phone.

"Anthony calm down." Ezra used his full name to gain his attention. "I am fine. I had a misstep and re-injured my shoulder nothing to worry about. Tell me why you have been so persistent in trying to contact me."

His arm. Again . It was my fault it was originally injured too. Well it could be worse. "It's not important Ez, forget I called…"

Ezra, Mel and Dave all injured at once... Damn maybe I should change plans; he sighed rubbing his forehead. They would understand once I tell them he was injured too.

"Don't even try Anthony," Ezra was mad now, he rarely called him Anthony. " I will find out if I have to come there to you. You never call this time of the morning without reason. What happened and where do I need to be; don't make me guess and get it wrong. I am being released later today. I will be on a flight by noon just tell me where I am going NY, Florida or DC"

" NY " Tony said with a sigh of defeat, " Mel and Dave were in a line of duty shooting. Mel is critical. I don't have any more info. Ez, Siobhan is the one who called me so I am worried this is bad. Ez they were left out in the cold, no backup. I think it is because she is Moslem." Tony hated to tell his cousin this after what happened to him.

Ezra closed his eyes at the revelation. "OK I will call you later with my flight details I will be there later today. She is strong, a fighter Tony have faith."

"I hope you are right. I am about to board my flight now. Call me and I will make sure that you are picked up at the airport. See you later cuz love ya."

"Me too Tony bye."

Ezra was already out of bed and handing Vin his phone. He had his IV out already and was looking for his clothing. Vin looked at him and said quietly " 'S not here." All of team 7 was well aware of Standish's Houdini acts when he was in the hospital. His clothing was rarely left with him unless it was an oversight. "Ya wanna tell me what all that was ‘bout" Vin gestured to his phone indicating the conversation that Ezra had just finished.

Ezra looked at his colleague no he was more than that a friend at the very least though Ezra secretly wished for more. He knew that he would need Vin's help to get out of the hospital and he owed Vin an explanation after that call. The team had met Melissa and some of her family a few times. She held his heath care proxy. He was injured often enough and severely enough that she and the team had become well acquainted if not close.

"That was my …cousin Agent Tony DiNozzo of NCIS. He called to tell me that Melissa and her partner were shot in the line of duty last night and that she is critically ill in a hospital in NY." Ezra realized he had been so stunned that he didn't even know what institution she was in he had not asked and Tony forgot to tell him. "I have to get a flight out to NY today the earlier the better. I need to be discharged post haste."

Vin looked at his friend, he knew they were close, although he shared a special bond with Chris, in some ways he was closer to Ezra, who for all his outward differences was the most like him. They had similar experiences growing up. Vin felt comfortable and safe even in Ezra's presence.

" Chris aint gonna like it."

"I am sure Mr. Larabee will be less than happy at my absence but it cannot be helped. I am needed in NY."

"OK when do we leave."


"We aren't going anywhere. I have to check the internet for a flight, and go home and pack a bag. JD didn't leave a computer here so I need to see if one of the staff will let me use a hospital machine. Barring that I will have to wait until I go home to book my ticket. There is no need for you to come to the townhouse with me Mr. Tanner. I will be taking a taxi to the airport. I am sorry that I ruined whatever plans you may have had for the evening last night, please accept my heartfelt apologies."

Vin gave him a hard look. " Chris aint gonna like you goin' off on your own. ‘Specially when you jist got hurt Ez."


"Mr. Tanner I have to go. I will be met at the airport and Mel's mother will be there she will take care of me. I am going even if I must tender my resignation in order to do so."

Vin looked at how serious his friend looked and decided to help him. They were out of the hospital and at the townhouse within half an hour. Ezra was at the airport by 6:30 AM.

"You realize Chris is gonna give me hell." Vin said with a slight grin.

"I am quite sure you are more than capable of dealing with whatever our esteemed leader does or says to you Mr. Tanner."