- Text Size +
The two agents made their way to the NCIS garage; Tony had grabbed a set of keys prior to leaving the bull pen. He was surprised that Gibbs offered no objections to someone outside of NCIS working on this investigation. Oh he knew that as soon as Abby said she needed the expertise of JD to help untangle the computer code, Gibbs would do everything in his power to make sure the man helped her. Gibbs had absolute faith in Abby’s abilities and if she said she needed help he would not question her.
The fact that Gibbs didn’t object when Vin tagged along with him shocked Tony. He was amazed that Gibbs didn’t insist that Vin do some job other than accompany him. It might be Tony’s imagination but Gibbs seemed to like to send him out on his own. More so lately than ever before, well except for those few months they were a two man team, just prior to Gibbs hiring Kate.

Tony was beginning to think maybe his shelf life was up. He had been at NCIS nearly 2 years. It was getting to be past time that he was usually looking for greener pastures… Maybe sending him out without backup was a subtle Gibbs way of saying he didn’t measure up, that it was time to move on.

He was pretty sure he knew Vin’s motives for accompanying him. Tony noticed Ezra and Vin exchanging looks and slight changes in body language and expression just before Vin said he was going to join Tony in the field. Whatever passed between the two men, Vin was obviously told by Ezra to watch out for him. It figures, he and Ezra had always looked out for one another even as kids.

Tony and Vin got into the dark nondescript sedan. Vin pulled out a cell phone and started talking to someone.

“Hey cowboy, it’s me…”

“Yeah we’re good… listen we ended up at NCIS HQ this mornin’ with Tony… Met up with JD… Seems this computer problem is a mite more complicated than anyone ‘spected” Vin paused and listened to his boss and friend.

“Yeah, well you guys better forget about JD joinin’ ya on the flight home. He’s gonna be stuck here ‘til at least ‘morrow, maybe Monday. Think someone can go and check in on Case? Him ’n Ez got some help comin in t’day so definitely Monday…I really don’t think ya wanna know cowboy, ya aint gonna be too pleased.” Vin laughed into the receiver. “Quitcher growlin’ Lar’bee, I’ll tell ya who’s comin’” Vin paused for effect he really wanted to make Chris squirm. He almost wished the rest of the seven were staying in town another night, a confrontation between Larabee and Kendall was always a sight to behold. Thinking on it he might just get the same show with less fall-out, at least for him, when Gibbs met the little spitfire.

“Melissa’s comin’ in.” he said containing his laughter. Chris would kill him next time they saw one another if he knew the sharpshooter was laughing at him.

Vin quickly pulled the phone away from his ear as Larabee yelled “That HELLCAT?!!” he placed the phone back to his ear to hear the rest of what Chris had to say.

“Hey cowboy calm down, she actually LIKES me and JD and she loves ol’ Ez.” Vin chuckled, “yeah it sure is gonna be fun watching her with Gibbs… Listen gotta go. OK, OK I promise one of us will call in at least once a day… Alright, alright already twice a day, later cowboy.”

Vin grinned to himself this trip was gonna be fun. Mel was sure to fire up Gibbs, he was almost afraid to think how she was gonna react to Kate after hearing the profiler’s opinions about Tony. He hadn’t been exposed to the family dynamic long but he could tell she was fiercely protective of family. Kind of made him wanna be descrete with Ez don’t wanna rock the boat.

In addition he was getting some actual field time, something he rarely got in his job with the ATF since his skills were so highly specialized.

Oh yeah this was definitely shaping up to be a lot of fun.