- Text Size +
McGee was sitting at his borrowed desk he knew that in the next day or so Gibbs would be sending him back down to Norfolk. Currently he was working on some computer programs to try and at least find a name for the terrorist who had invaded the morgue. He looked over at the other 3 empty desks. He dreaded Gibbs arrival at the office. He knew that he would somehow be to blame for the other 2 missing agents.

Suddenly Gibbs was there strolling through the bullpen. McGee kept his eyes on the computer screen and hoped for the best.

Gibbs looked around the bullpen. Both of his permanent agents were not there. He put down his coffee and asked "McGee where are Kate and Tony?"

" Um -er well Agent Gibbs Um- Agent Todd went down to the lab about 10 minutes ago and I am not sure where Agent DiNozzo is. When I came in this morning he was leaving the building."

"Leaving the building?" Gibbs said quietly.

"Uh y-y-yess sir. I think Kate was here with him she may know more."

"Fine McGee. Why are you still here anyway aren't you due back at Norfolk?"

"Just finishing up on that software you asked to track down the guy from the morgue. Should be finished in a few hours."

When he looked up he realized he was speaking to an empty bullpen.

===============================

Chris Larabee stood at the nurses' station at Denver General Hospital trying to get an answer out of one of the staff as to where not one but two of his agents were. He stood there muttering to himself about damn fool southerners and damn fool Texas cowboys. He never should have left those two alone. They need a keeper!

Chris pulled put his cell phone and called Vin. When he answered Chris didn't give a traditional greeting. "Cowboy you better have a damn good explanation why I am at the hospital and you and Ezra aren't."


Vin gave him the short answer. Vin also told Chris he was planning on taking a flight later today to meet with Ezra despite what he had said before they left the hospital.


Team 7 at least knew Melissa. They had met her and her mother Mary a few times. David had even come to Denver once when Ezra was injured, Larabee wasn't happy that his agent had gone to NY alone and injured but he understood why he went. He wasn't fully aware of the true nature of the relationship that Ezra shared with these people but he respected what he did know. Finding out Ezra had a cousin who was an NCIS agent was interesting. They had never worked a case with that agency yet but it was good to havee a contact there if needed.

"OK Vin take as long as you need and try and keep that stubborn southerner out of trouble" Chris ended the conversation with his sharpshooter.

===============================


While Ezra's team knew of Melissa and her family the only person at NCIS who knew of Tony's ties to her was Abby and he had asked her to keep it a secret. Gibbs was not happy to have a UA agent on his hands. He had not checked his email this morning so he did not get the message that Tony had sent to him.

He found Kate with Abby in the lab. Kate asked Gibbs if they had any open cases that would require the NYPD to call and there were none. Abby kept silent as Tony had asked. Gibbs didn't question her as Kate had so she didn't have to lie to him. She knew that she would not be able to.

Gibbs escorted Kate back to the bullpen. He half expected Tony to be there when he got back, but there was no sign of the young agent. Gibbs powered up his computer and found the new email message from DiNozzo. A request for personal leave for an emergency, no reason given. Tony never spoke about his family, Gibbs was pretty sure they were estranged. He couldn't understand who the leave was really for.



"He better not be making a request like this just so he can show his latest girlfriend New York City." Gibbs growled out loud to the other members of the team.

"I don't think so Gibbs he seemed almost angry with the Chief of Police. He actually yelled at her and even called her by her given name. I think something is wrong, I had gone to the lab to speak with Abby because she spent Columbus weekend in NY with him. I thought she may have some clue what was going on but she said she had no idea."

They continued to work on old leads for cold cases. Suddenly McGee spoke up. "Ah Agent Gibbs, Agent Todd you might want to take a look at this."

McGee was pointing to one of the many plasma screen monitors placed throughout the bullpen. This one was tuned to CNN and was reporting a story about two police officers shot in New York City. The woman giving the press conference was Siobhan Kendall-Mays, standing in the back round among all of the police brass and family members was Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo. There was an older woman who appeared to be clinging to him and a man about his age with his arm over Tony's shoulder.

"You know Gibbs he did say that if you needed him to call. I bet he is waiting for you to call him."

Gibb just stared at the screen and grunted, but made no move towards his phone.