- Text Size +
Gibbs sat looking at the phone. Who was agent Standish and what was he doing answering DiNozzo's phone? Was DiNozzo looking for a job with different federal agency? He had been with NCIS for over 2 years, past time that he usually moved on. He looked up and saw that Kate was giving him a strange look. "Kate don't you have some cold cases to review?" They had not gotten a new case today. McGee was trying to be unobtrusive as he worked on his computer program.

Gibbs felt restless; he needed a cup of coffee. When he went and got one and picked up a caf-pow for Abby. He knew Tony confided in her and he wanted to know if Tony had spoken to her about an interview for a new job.

Abby looked up from the article she was reading from an online forensics journal. She saw Gibbs enter the lab and was hoping he didn't come to ask her about Tony. She could lie by omission to Kate but it would be impossible to do to Gibbs. She saw the drink he had for her and really hoped he had a case or some lab test he needed her to do.

"Bossman something you need?"

"Where is Tony Abby?"

Abby froze; she looked at Gibbs and tried to formulate a response.

"Is he interviewing for a new job?"

OK thought Abby that I can answer.

"No! No way bossman, he won't leave you."

"We saw him in the back round at a press conference in NYC. He isn't answering his phone. When I finally get through someone else …an Agent Standish answers his phone. If you know anything now would be a good time to start talking Abby."

"That cop who was nearly killed in NY…Tony is close to her, very close to her."

"Oh" Everyone knew that Tony was a ladies man. "How long has this been going on?"

"They have known one another for a long time Gibbs since they were teens at least."

"I gave him 48 hours to get back, I don't care how close they are he better get back here." He can't really love her the way Abby is implying. Not the way Tony plays the field. Gibbs started out of the lab and didn't hear Abby say.

"I wouldn't worry about Standish he's Tony's cousin. I hate when he does that."

===============================

The first thing on the agenda upon return to the hospital was the long overdue talk with Siobhan. Tony waited because he knew that Ezra would want to be there for their little chat. Joe wasn't in law enforcement he didn't really know how things were and neither Tony nor Ezra wanted to enlighten him. They would take care of Mel as well as Joe would.

Tony was impressed by Vin, how he watched the door instinctively without a word from Ezra asking him to and without a reason why.

They waited until she was alone. Tony started. "I want you to explain what happened." He was lethally quiet and the air of danger about both men was palpable. None of Tony's coworkers would recognize him.

Siobhan looked at him as if he was dense. "She was shot it happens fairly often."
"That's not what I mean. We both spoke to you about our concerns. You agreed if they did your special projects no street duty for either of them. You know Ezra's history; you know we had a valid concern. She is your niece for goodness sake!"

"Well I never … You have no right…"

Ezra spoke up "We have every right. Let me tell you how it is going to be from now on. Both Dave and Mel will be assigned to your office, no more street duty. They will do special projects related to their special skills."

"If I refuse?"

"Tony and I never mentioned to Mary how poorly you treat both of us. We didn't want to cause a rift between you. If you are unwilling to agree to our terms we are more than ready to tell her about this conversation and how you nearly got her daughter and nephew killed. Good day madam"

===============================

After they left Siobhan Tony had one other thing that he needed to take care of.

He started talking in Arabic to his cousin "Does Vin know about the girls?"

"No"

"They are here at the apartment. Do you want him to know about them? I will discuss this in English then."

Ezra considered what his cousin was asking. He would be giving Vin his ultimate trust.

Ezra responded in English "It's ok I trust Vin implicitly."

Vin looked at Ezra in surprise. He was pleased at the faith this simple statement showed.

"I want to send the girls to Mohamed's family in Morocco for the time being. If you don't want to send Emily that's ok, I am sending Marie. We had a terrorist who appears to be from Hamas or possibly Al-Queda break into NCIS a few months ago. I don't want him connecting me to Mary and Moha and then the kids. I know that they would be safe in Morocco and well taken care of."

Vin looked confused. Tony took pity on him and explained. "Ezra and I both have daughters who are being raised by their grand parents, Mary and Mohamed." Tony offered no further explanation.

"In Morocco if a stranger was in the area looking for the girls it would be noticed, even if they spoke Arabic or Berber. The whole village knows they are Mohamed's granddaughters he dotes on them." Ezra mused aloud. "You are that concerned?"

"If I thought they would allow it I would pack up the whole family you included until this guy is caught." Tony had come to family late in life but he valued it highly.

The look Ezra gave Tony spoke plainly. "This is the gentleman in the picture you have asked me to have my… contacts inquire about." Ezra had extensive contacts in the Moroccan government. Maude had nearly married one of the advisors to the king when Ezra was a teenager. This was the way he had met Mel and eventually Mary and Mohamed.

"Yes I am fairly sure he wasn't Moroccan but your contacts may have some information about him." Tony was hoping Moroccan intelligence would have something that he could take to Gibbs. His boss was becoming obsessed with the terrorist.

"NCIS seems fairly certain that he is Hamas but no one can ID him which is odd. Regardless I want Marie and Em safe and the best way to accomplish this is to have them in Morocco for a short time. I cant make this decision for you but I would prefer both girls go."

Ezra thought about it for a moment and agreed. "OK we will talk to Mary and Moha. They will be safer there."

It was now early evening and Ezra had yet to see Mary or Mel. They found Joe and Mary in the waiting area. They said the sedation had been reduced and that Mel was becoming more responsive. Mary was not happy at the condition that Ezra was in, but was pleased that his team mates sent someone among to look out for him.

Tony spent the next 48 hours divided between sitting at Mel's bedside holding her hand and spending some time with his daughter. Marie and Emily had initially been at the family apartment bit were sent to stay with David and his wife and daughter. They were delighted to see their NY cousins. Dave had a sister who had a young son and the children were occupying one another. By the time Tony had to leave Mel was moved out of the ICU. She was expected to be discharged with in the week unless complications arose.

Tony caught a shuttle back to DC and was at his desk barely within the time limit set by Gibbs. He was exhausted after the last few days of only catching cat naps. Thankfully he was able to go home at the regular time with no new cases being assigned to their team. Abby confessed to Tony what she had to tell Gibbs. He forgave her because she didn't really give Gibbs any information. He and Ezra had made plans for the girls to live in Morocco for a while. Moha was to take them in a week or so after Mel was settled in Florida for her recovery.