- Text Size +
Tony rushed down the steps instead of waiting for the elevator. He no longer wanted to see Ezra tonight. He was trying to find a way to not see his cousin at all. To speak with him when he was safely back in Denver and then deal with what he was sure Ezra had heard. He knew he was a screw up. His own father had known he was a screw up, the senior DiNozzo had told him so often enough growing up. He tried so hard to not let his "family" see that in him. He was terrified that they would decide that he was worthless even after all these years. He knows that for the most part he wasn't successful in that either, he screwed up. Hell he had a child out of wedlock that his "parents" were raising, but he still hated to disappoint them.

Now Ezra would see how much of a disappointment he was professionally, after all the tips and help Ezra had given him. Lately that's all he had done, getting himself drugged and left in the sewers, kissing the killer, who cared if Voss was a guy he killed one of their agents and I kissed him! Then let's not forget the argument you had in front of his colleagues. He knew how Ezra hated that type of conflict.

He knew Ezra would go looking for him starting at his apartment most likely. If he stayed here in the labs or the morgue then he wouldn't be found.

He forgot that most of the tricks he used undercover his slightly older cousin taught him. He also didn't know Vin that well, nor the fact that he was a tracker and former bounty hunter. He also forgot that Abby his most likely ally knew and liked his cousin and would most likely aid Ezra in his search. He wouldn't be able to hide from them, not for long.

Ezra tried to follow Tony when he saw him leave the bullpen in a rush but he lost him. Tony had disappeared while Ezra was getting his coat and belongings together. Ezra stood at the elevator weighing his options looking at all the angles. Vin came to stand beside him. Vin looked over at Larabee. He was heading to talk to Gibbs. They shared a silent conversation and Vin promised to watch out for Ezra they knew he could find trouble nearly anywhere.

Ezra glanced at his friend, over the past few months he and Vin had been spending more and more time together, becoming closer. After the first few years in Denver he had started letting his coworkers in a little more. He had them over to him home occasionally. He met them for drinks at the saloon after work. He even went out to Larabee's ranch at times for the weekend gatherings they had. They thought they knew him, they were wrong. Vin knew him best. He knew that Mel was more than a friend that she was his sister. That Mary was a mother to him in ways that Maude never was. He knew about his daughter and Tony's daughter. Vin never betrayed him. He didn't even tell Chris about their time in NY or the short trip to Florida that followed.

He knew he was falling in love with Vin and that scared him to death. He wasn't worried about being attracted to guys. He had known that for a long time. He wasn't worried about coming "out" to his family all of the important ones knew. Moha had been the most difficult with the revelation but even he had come around, especially when Tony made a similar announcement. It was easier for him since they weren't his sons though he treated them no different than he did Joe. No what scared Ezra is that most of the people he cared for left him. They died or abandoned him. His wife died, his mother left him with whoever she could find and at least once it was someone who almost killed him. The only people he could say he trusted with his heart were his "family" and it had taken them years to get to this point. He had known Mel for 20 years and lived as her brother for 17.

What if he leaves me what if I am not good enough? I was never good enough for mother to keep me around for more than a few months at a time. What if he doesn't feel the same way I do? Oh lord what if he is straight? He ruthlessly ordered his thoughts and schooled his features. He needed to concentrate on Tony.

"Mr. Tanner please convey my apologies to Mr. Larabee. I have some pressing business that I need to take care of."

Ezra needed to talk to his cousin. As many issues as Ezra had his confidence was never one of them. Ezra knew that his abilities as an agent were good. The reasons for leaving the FBI were not of his making. The accusations of bribe taking were unfounded but made working in Atlanta impossible. Ezra knew that with Tony his time with his father had so shaken his self confidence that what he showed the world was only a façade. He knew that his comments about Tony's father had wounded the younger man and then Tony's colleague had made it worse with her comments.

"Chris knows we's goin' Ez." The Texan drawled.

Ezra quirked an eyebrow at Vin "We?"

"Yeah we."

Ezra decided that to argue would serve no purpose he feared that he wouldn't win especially with the rest of the team around to give Chris and Vin added support. It would be better to look for Tony with just Vin than all 7 of his team.

The elevator arrived and he took it out to the parking lot hoping that they would be able to get to Tony's car before he would leave. When they got there his car was still there but Tony was no where around. Think what was the name of the coworker he brought to NY…Abby Scuito.

"I think I know where he is or at least have an idea. If not then I am going to let you track him down for me Mr. Tanner." With that they headed in the direction of the labs.

************************************


Tony HAD been planning on spending time in the lab with Abby but when he got there he found Abby had company. McGee was there and one of the members of Ezra's team. It looked like the youngest one, JD. He looked into the lab and it appeared they were comparing hacking techniques. When he heard the FBI secure servers being mentioned and then someone said something about the CIA database, he beat a hasty retreat thinking the less he knew about that conversation the better. Though it seemed the Fibbes didn't share any better with the ATF than they did with NCIS.

Tony had turned around and was contemplating his next move. Deciding to go to autopsy he went to the elevator and waited.

Unfortunately for Tony when the doors opened he came face to face with Ezra.

Upon seeing his cousin Ezra said "We need to talk let's go." He grabbed Tony's arm and the 3 men got back on the elevator heading towards the parking area.
Chapter End Notes:
slightly redone "split decision"