- Text Size +

Jen was sitting at her desk reviewing paperwork when Cynthia walked in holding a beautiful arrangement of orchids.

 

“Third week in a row, ma’am.” Cynthia commented, setting the arrangement on the corner of the Director’s desk.

 

Jen just nodded, waiting until Cynthia was once again on the other side of the door before slipping the card out of the envelope. A slow smile spread across her face as she read the message. She held the card close to her chest, looking for the moment like a schoolgirl staring at her flowers.

 

~*~Flashback~*~

 

Jen almost panicked when she walked into her office to find Tony holding the card for her flowers. It wasn’t signed and the florist had written the message, but Tony was a skilled investigator. When she called him on it though, he had acted like he was admiring the flowers and the card fell out. Without drawing attention to her previous panic, she had offered Tony his own team in another country. He told her he had to think about it and left her office.

 

Sitting back, she was thinking of all the changes Tony had gone through since Jethro had left. Her gaze was drawn back to her flowers and that led her mind back to her recent albeit too brief vacation.

 

  ~~~

 

It had surprised her. They both worked in D.C. but she had to go all the way to South Africa to really see him. In their line of work, they saw each other regularly, but that trip had removed her blinders.

 

He was there for business, she for a much needed break. Chance had it that they were staying in the same hotel. She returned one night from a day of sightseeing at the Lone Creek Falls. As she entered the dining room, she spotted him talking with colleagues. He looked up and smiled. But the time she was seated, he had excused himself from his group.

 

“May I join you?” he asked and she assented.

 

Dinner passed quickly, yet they lingered, sharing stories of their travels and the places they’d seen. Chance stepped in again as his conference ended earlier than expected. She invited him to share the next day with her on the Forest Falls Nature Walk to view Forest Falls and he agreed.

~*~End Flashback~*~

 

Jen was still holding the card when her phone rang reminding her of the videoconference she had in MTAC. Getting back into business mode, she put the card away and went to her meeting.