- Text Size +
“No! You can’t hire her!” Tony complained, slamming his hands on Gibbs’ desk.
“Why not? We’ve been understaffed since Ziva left to go back to Israel. And besides…from what I hear, Sally is a damn good agent.” Gibbs said.
“She’s my ex.” Gibbs rolls his eyes. “Long story short, we had a great relationship, then a *very* bad break-up.”
“Oh come on DiNozzo! Look at your dating record! Chances were that we would end up hiring one of your ex’s eventually.”
“Do you want to know why we broke up?”
“Not really.” Gibbs said, not at all interested.
“I killed her brother.”
“You what!?” Gibbs sat up straight.
“It was way back in Baltimore, he was head of a drug smuggling gang. My team busted them, they fought back and I ended up shooting her brother.”
“She won’t hold that against you.”
“Once again your knowledge of women excels brilliance boss. Of course she’ll still hold it against me. That’s why we broke up, we were due to be married!”
“*You* were due to be married DiNozzo? I didn’t figure you for the type, until you proposed to Abby of course.”
“I was the type, back then. The break up got to me and I decided I never wanted to be that committed again, that’s why I dated all those different women. I was too afrait to commit.”
Gibbs’ phone rang. He had a text.
“As much as I am loving this heart-to-heart DiNozzo. We have a case, I’ll call McGee.”
Tony went back over to his desk and grabbed his badge and gun. He blew a kiss to a picture of Abby, which was lying on his desk and followed Gibbs to the elevator.

They arrived at the scene where Ducky and Palmer were already examining the body. Ducky looked up as he saw Gibbs, Tony and McGee arriving.
“Ah…Anthony, how are the wedding plans going?” He asked Tony.
“Let’s just say eventfully. I barely managed to talk Abby out of having bouquets of black and red roses dotted with plastic skulls on stalks.” Tony replied, laughing.
“Oh Abigail…” Ducky chuckled to himself “I don’t know how you cope Anthony.”
“I don’t think the phrase ‘love conquers all’ has ever been so appropriate.”
“I still can’t believe you’re marrying Abby.” McGee said.
“There there Probie. You had your chance.” Tony patted him on the back. “I’m sure someone else will come along just longing for a geek like you.”
“This is one of those times where I don’t actually know if you’re being serious and nice, or if you’re just making fun of me again.” McGee complained.
“Meh…bit of both.” Tony shrugged.
“Anyway boys, enough chit chat. Ducky, what’ve you got for me?” Gibbs said, coming up behind Tony and McGee.
“Well, TOD was approximately 12 hours ago and due to the fact that she was found in the swimming pool, and the absence of any other easily visible injuries, I’d guess it was a simple drowning.”
“There’s nothing simple about the death of a marine Ducky.”
“Ah-yes…well, I’ll know more when I get her on my table.”
“Okay. McGee; photos, DiNozzo; measurements and sketches and…I’ve just run out of agents. When you’ve finished those tasks you can gather any relevant evidence.”
“On it boss.” McGee and Tony replied and went off to start doing their jobs.
“I thought you were hiring a new agent.” Ducky said.
“I am…she starts tomorrow.” Gibbs replied. “Her name is Sally Collins.”
“I’m sure she’ll be a nice addition to the team.”
“Tony doesn’t seem to think so…”
“Let me guess…ex girlfriend, bad break up, she still holds a grudge against him?”
“How did you know?”
“We were bound to hire one of his ex’s eventually, he’s had so many.”
“That’s exactly what I said.” Gibbs laughed, “and anyway, if their past gets in the way I’ll just fire DiNozzo. There is no way I’m giving up Collins, she’s hard working, enthusiastic, very observant and doesn’t stop until she gets what she wants.”
“Are my ears burning?” A cheery female voice says.
Gibbs and Ducky turn around and see a tall slim and very pretty woman coming towards them wearing an NCIS bullet vest and cap.
“Sally, I thought you were starting tomorrow.” Gibbs said, greeting the new arrival.
“Yeah, I was…but I moved into my new place a couple of days early and I kinda got bored after unpacking so I came into the office. You guys weren’t there and Jenny told me I could find you here.” She explained at a pace that could rival Abby’s.
“Okay…” Gibbs said, trying to let it all in.
“So what can I do to help?” Sally asked eagerly.
“Um…bag and tag her clothing from the changing rooms and anything else you find suspicious.”
Sally walks to the changing rooms smiling.
“Well…” Ducky said in awe at her enthusiasm.
“Yeah.” Gibbs replied.

They arrived back at headquarters. Tony had managed to avoid speaking to Sally and hadn’t let her fully see his face. Sally was told to take the evidence to Abby and, as she left, Tony breathed a sigh of relief.

As Sally entered the lab Abby was listening to music with her headphones on. She had her back to the door so she didn’t notice Sally coming in. Sally tried coughing loudly to get her attention, no result, so she tapped Abby gently on the shoulder. Abby turned round quickly, taking off her headphones.
“Hey Gibbs, what’ve you got-“ Abby started. “You’re not Gibbs.”
“No, I don’t think I am.” Sally laughed. “I’m the new girl”
Sally extended her hand. Abby shook it.
“Oh…great to meet you, I’m Abby, Abby Sciuto. I thought you were starting tomorrow.”
“I’m Sally Collins and, yeah, I was supposed to start tomorrow but I moved into my new apartment early and I unpacked in, like, a day. I got too bored having nothing to do so I decided to come into work early.” Sally said at the speed of light.
“Wow, finally, someone who talks as fast as me.” Abby laughed. “So what’ve you got for me Sally.”
“A bunch of fingerprints, some clothes and a needle I found in a bin outside of the swimming pool.”
“Great, see ya later!”
Abby started sorting through the evidence as Sally left.
Suddenly Abby jerked her head up, eyes wide.
“Holy Shit!! Sally Collins!!” She said to herself as she realized who Sally was.
Chapter End Notes:
sorry i realized i had just posted the second chapter before the first. this chatper is now the first