- Text Size +
Jenny was standing outside a house in Georgetown. She looked up and down the street before circling to the back and checking the door. It was ajar and Jen pulled her gun. Entering and cautiously clearing the kitchen and dining room, she moved into the hallway. As she entered the office, she heard sirens approaching. She was about to go out the way she came in when the police burst in and shouted, "Put the gun down! Put the gun down!"

With two fingers, Jenny put the gun on the small table beside her and said over her shoulder, "My name is Jenny Shepard, I'm the Director of NCIS."

"Lady, we got a call saying there were shots fired at this address, put your hands behind your head." The first officer in the room said.

Narrowing her eyes, she did as she was told. "Officer, I'm telling you, I didn't fire my weapon."

"We'll determine that at our lab, Ma'am." A second officer said.

"Trenton, Mathers, you'd better come take a look at this." A third officer said.

Officer Trenton turned Jenny around roughly and marched her along with them to a game room that was off the side of what had to be a viewing room. It had a large screen on one wall with a projector at the other end of the room. Officer Mathers made a comment under his breath about the way the "upper crust" lived. There between the pool table and the wet bar was a very dead Judge Rufkins.

Immediately, Officer Trenton started reading Jenny her rights as Office Mathers called in homicide. Not bothering to listen to her story they took her right to the station and left the other two officers at the house to secure the scene.

-------------------------

Abby was watching Carly. Every so often Carly would reach up and rub her forehead. Wondering what the hell her friend was keeping from her was driving Abby crazy so she decided to do something about it. "Where'd you find her journal?"

"What?" Carly asked.

"The journal you told Gibbs about. Where did you find it?"

"Her online journal. She had it linked in her favorites." Carly answered.

Abby was still skeptical. "How did you guess her password?"

Carly looked down and away. Rubbing her head once more, she quietly told Abby, "I haven't yet."

Abby almost exploded from her chair. "What do you mean you haven't yet? You told Gibbs that you had read it! What the hell is going on?"

Carly shook her head. "If you can access her journal, you'll see that what I told him was true. But please, can we talk about this later? I can't ... I can't work with this damn headache. I can barely see straight right now."

Abby was concerned and upset all at the same time. "How long has it been since you've had a headache this bad?"

Eyes closed, Carly's voice grew even quieter, "Nine years."

Abby picked up the phone and punched in a number. "I need you down here." She said quietly so that she wouldn't cause Carly any more pain.

Gibbs arrived within two minutes and took one look at Carly. Nodding at Abby, he walked over and picked her up from the chair she was sitting in. Still in pain, Carly didn't open her eyes. She whispered, "I'm sorry, Jet."

He walked to the elevator and when the doors shut he kissed her forehead. "It'll be ok, Carly. I'm taking you home."

Abby sat thinking for a moment and then turned to Petty Officer Russell's computer. She had to get into that journal and make sure Carly was right. After all her two friends had been through, she wasn't about to let something like this come between them.