- Text Size +
Gibbs marched into the police station; ignoring the desk sargeant, he headed straight for the Captain's office. Unannounced, he walked in and held up his badge. "Special Agent Gibbs, NCIS."

Captain Downey looked at the badge and at the agent in front of him. So here was the man that would make his life a living hell.

"Agent Gibbs, wha..."

"Special Agent and don't give me any run around. The Director is here and you have no evidence to hold her." Gibbs stated bluntly.

"Now we don't know yet about the evidence, Special Agent Gibbs."

"Was her gun fired? Have you checked for GSR on her hands and clothes? Has ballistics been able to match the bullet that killed Judge Rufkins to Director Shepard's gun?" He spit the questions at the Captain rapidly.

"Special Agent Gibbs..." the Captain said while standing to assert his power.

"My gut tells me you don't have anything on her and until you do, you will release her. We have a Federal Agency to run."

"It's not that simple Agent Gibbs and you know it." Captain Downey tried to explain when Officer Mathers walked in and handed some paperwork to him.

"The results for Ms. Shepard, Captain. Just got them from the lab." Officer Mathers said.

Gibbs reached over and took them from the Captain to read over. "Here's your proof Captain. Have your officer bring my Director up." Gibbs stared at the Captain waiting. "NOW!" He ordered.

Captain Downey nodded to Officer Mathers and the officer ran to do as he was told.

---------------------

Jenny buckled in and held on to the dash as Gibbs took off away from the police department. She watched him closely but had no idea how mad he was at this.

"What the hell were you thinking, Jen? Were you thinking? You are the Director of NCIS. You can't be involved in this case any more than you already are. I wouldn't be surprised if you were asked politely to step down while this case is going on, especially now that Judge Rufkins has been murdered. You've just made finding Adrian that much harder since the FBI will probably be breathing down our necks now." She turned toward the window and said nothing which only served to irritate Gibbs more. "Answer me, Jen!"

"I'm still your boss, Agent Gibbs." She told him coldly.

"No." He gave her a hard stare before turning his attention back to the road. "In this, you are not my boss. And if you screw up like this again, someone up higher than you is going to make sure you aren't my boss at all."

"He let her out, Jethro. All I wanted were some answers. When I got there, the door was open and I went in." At the look he gave her she agreed, "I should have called for backup. I should have taken you with me. But I needed to know why and how he influenced the parole board to let her out. I have to have answers Jethro."

"Damn it, Jenny, I'm working on getting you those answers and putting Adrian back in prison. You need to stay out of the way."

"You're right. I know you're right, but it's so hard to step aside and let someone else take care of this."

Gibbs looked at her for a moment. "I know it is, Jen, but sometimes that's how it has to happen."

Jenny nodded. "I trust you Gibbs. I know you're going to get her and I thank you for that."

With a short nod, he pulled into a parking spot at headquarters and they stepped out of the car to find Fornell waiting for them.